Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tired of baby sitting the kettle!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tired of baby sitting the kettle!

I would really like to get a controller for my kettle\WSM so I can set and forget. I’d also like it to have cloud capability and be able to check temps from anywhere. I know signals has this and it looks like the new FireBoard will have this also. Which would you guys choose? Maybe I’m leaving some out, as I know bbqguru makes some too. Any input appreciated.

A Fireboard connected to a Pit Viper fan did the trick for me on my 22" Weber Kettle

Comment

• Mark-B
      Mark-B commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool! Where did you drill the hole for the fan mount? I plan on still using my SNS with it.

• RichardCullip
      RichardCullip commented
      Editing a comment
      Right under the charcoal grate on the opposite side of my SNS. Place it between the maximum reach of the ash sweepers so as not to interfere with the sweepers. On a 22" kettle there is a small sweet spot for drilling the hole where it doesn't affect the range of the ash sweepers.
      Last edited by RichardCullip; May 24, 2020, 11:24 AM. Reason: Oops - I miss spoke. Changed grill grate to charcoal grate

• Mark-B
      Mark-B commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know as I would’ve probably drilled it on the same side as the SNS. Thx!

IMO the Fireboard with Pit Viper fan is a great setup. Looks like the new Fireboard already comes with a fan controller built in so that’s a plus. I would also buy the bigger fan called the Pit Bull, this way if in the future you need more volume of air you have it.

Comment

Agree place fan on the opposite side of the charcoal basket. Point it not down but around the kettle so that you don't have a chance of blowing ash. I would also look at the brand new BBQ Guru, UltraQ it doesn't have 6 probes but does have 4. Since they have been in business so long they developed a large list of adapters to many grills and smokers. I have been very happy with an earlier version of there controllers.
      Last edited by mountainsmoker; May 24, 2020, 01:03 PM.

Comment

I have a Fireboard with Pit Viper running right now on my Performer with some short ribs. I haven't had to do anything with the grill since the food went on 3 hours ago.

Comment

I would go with the new Fireboard Drive if you can wait for it to start shipping. I've got lots of Thermoworks stuff, but I think the Fireboard Drive and a Pit Viper fan + Weber adapter from bbqguru.com is the way to go.

Comment

• Razor
            Razor commented
            Editing a comment
            As a ThermoWorks Signals owner, I agree. The Signals app is just trash right now. They are supposedly working on it, but right now it’s great hardware hampered by bad software.

I am relatively new at this but have been using a WSM so several years. I am wondering why many of you are mixing and matching to make a hybrid system rather than just buy a BBQ Guru Ultra Q set up. Is there some great advantage to the Fireboard controller?

Comment

• mountainsmoker
            mountainsmoker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep. The Fireboard can handle 6 probes vs. 4 on the UltraQ. The UltraQ cannot link with a laptop, the Fireboard can. As for using the BBQ Guru Pit Boss fan instead of the Pit Boss fan has a lot more adapters for various grills.
            Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 1, 2020, 09:08 PM.

Can a temperature fan fitted for a WSM, be used on an 18” Napoleon 300 3 in1 smoker? Thanks ahead for any input. If so r there any recommendations of which brand/model of temp control setups?

Comment

• mountainsmoker
            mountainsmoker commented
            Editing a comment
            You made me work for this one. The answer is yes. It uses the same Weber adapter as on your WSM.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here