Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ash on meat from temperature control blowers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I first observed ash on my meat after adapting an automated blower on my WSM 18. I was using an Auber system at the time. I initially freaked out thinking this cannot be a good thing. I later changed to Billows system and the same ash persisted. Since both blowers appearred to be overkill with respect to air volumn, I developed a method of reducing the flow from the blower. To my surprise this didn't appear to make a significant difference with respect to ash. To be fair, the ash was only observed by looking on the surface of the water in the pan or looking on a clean surface placed on the cooking grate. It was a small amount which was similar to looking at someone's effort at heavily salting their steak.

I backed off and took another look. I then operated the WSM without any automation, in it's natural state. Guess what, the ash was still there.

My conclusion is the ash is a part of BBQ. Ignore it, at least with the amount I have observed.

However, limiting the blower output was a good thing in other regards. It permits running the WSM with the top vent fully open and improves the overall smoke quality, and temp tracking and control. My Billows system is flawless in controlling the WSM with this change and I suspect silimar changes would have equally benefitted my prior Auber system.

So, don't sweat the ash unless you really have a high level of the stuff...

Comment

I cook on a Large Big Green Egg and have not had a problem with ash while using a PartyQ. I since have switch to a Smobot which has no fan but regulates the air flow by adjusting the daisy wheel attachment you replace for the cast iron one. What I like about it is in addition to the ambient probe they give you two meat probes and it connects WiFi to your phone, tablet or computer. That means you can make adjustments while out shopping.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here