Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leave Pit Viper in or remove?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leave Pit Viper in or remove?

Hi everyone!

I received a Pit Viper fan and Fireboard cable for Christmas, and just took it for a test run on my 26" Weber with SnS. Seems to work great and can't wait until there's more than the ambient probe on the cooking grate!

For those of you who have a similar set-up, do you leave the Pit Viper fan connected to the mounting all the time or remove it when not using? I have a covered patio where the Weber lives during the winter, but it's in the open in the warmer months. The new medium Pit Viper fan says "water resistant" and while I know that's different from water proof, just wondering what others do?

Thanks in advance!

Scott

I would remove it. I do anyway. I only use mine for long cooks anyway, so when I am grilling or doing a cook where I want to be more hands on, I don't have the fan in.

Just remove it and store it.

Comment

I don't have a kettle type cooker, but I take the fan out when not in use.

Comment

Never a good idea to store electronics outside.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

I made a rain shield for mine (older style) and I leave it in all the time, for at least two years now.

however I usually run the fan until the fire is out. If the fan is off and the fire still going you may hurt the fan.

Comment

I don't have one but that's a great Christmas present. Congrats.

Comment

Remove it.

Comment

I take min out after every cook.

Comment

Remove it when not in use.

Comment

I had condensation in mine before as a result of leaving it on a pit. It is easy enough to remove and put it up in a dry environment for next time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here