Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK. Fireboard VS Billows cause my DigiQ went psycho

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK. Fireboard VS Billows cause my DigiQ went psycho

Im not sure if those are the correct names to use but basically im sure you guys all know what i mean. Up until a few weeks ago, i had a DigiQ that performed flawlessly with the pit viper fan i had....until the DigiQ got its brains scrambled. Basically started dialing the pit temp up to max every 5 minutes. I would reset to the temp i want and 5 mins later it was maxed out again.

Sooooo, it probably wont happen this year (maybe if my wife read this forum then she would get the hint) but considering i probably do want to go back to having a set it and forget it kettle set up, whats better? Ive never used either, only the DigiQ and pit viper.

Unless the price difference is massive....im not toooo worried about that. More about your guys experiences. I also dont care to much for the cook logs or anything, i tend to keep a notebook of stuff that was interesting but i dont need the full temp charts.

I have a Smoke, and several thermapops so i know they are good, but obviously the billows is a new product.

Auber... hasn’t failed me.

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      scottranda completely new to me so im not sure what to even look for there.

As i had a pit viper on there already i have everything drilled and fitted, i would probably want something that can utilize that port even if its not a pit viper.

I run a Fireboard with a Viper fan.

Comment

The Fireboard is excellent and will run your Pit Viper fan that you already have.

Comment

Keep your viper fan. These things are almost all 12 V systems and it works great with the FireBoard and probably most everything else.

I left bbqguru controllers for fireboard. You do need to buy the separate drive cable for the fireboard so factor that into your cost.

Check if the billows expects a fan of the same voltage and barrel connector type as the viper.

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm pretty sure I read that it doesn't. It has a proprietary per connection, I think.

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah I was worried about that. Since I’ve rigged all my cookers for the viper fans, I can’t try theirs out. Almost everyone else uses a 12 barrel plug.

Have you contacted the BBQ Guru people? Maybe your unit just needs a reset or something?

Comment

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          Attjack I have and have done a reset and its just plain scrambled. It was not my original purchase, was a kind donation from a forum member so i dont really have any warranty per se

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          You could still try to shoot them an email.

I was having a similar problem with my DQ. We exchanged some emails and it was suggested that a wire was pinched internally, and to try loosening the screw on the back by 1/4 turn. I did that, and have had no problems since.

Comment

Fireboard hands down. Been running mine for about 2 years now and it's a work horse. I also purchased a Signals from Thermoworks as an extra and a back up but the app that runs it has numerous flaws. I've been too lazy to call them to see if I can get it resolved, but that is not the unit I would recommend.

Comment

Fireboard and Pit Viper will work well together. You will need to buy a special connection cable to link the fan from Fireboard. I got the new DigiQ and also had a board go bad they fixed for nothing but it was irritating.
            Last edited by mountainsmoker; October 27, 2019, 10:37 AM.

Comment

As much as I like Thermoworks, I’ve looked at the Thermoworks stuff, and don’t think it’s the way you want to go. Signals only works with their proprietary Billows fan. Billows needs a flat hole in the kettle, and won’t clip into your Guru fan adapter. I think your best option is a Fireboard and their fan control cable.

Comment

• grantgallagher
                grantgallagher commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah this kinda sums it up i guess.

Thank yall

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                grantgallagher if you remove the guru adapter, and found a high temp kill plug for the hole in the kettle, then the Bellows fan could work.

As most everyone else has said. Go with the FireBoard and it’s cable. You won’t be disappointed. Love mine. In fact I’m about to run it on my BGE for a prime rib in just a few minutes.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here