Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My CyberQ is dying...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My CyberQ is dying...

I'm down to 2 probes, and my last cook, (yesterday), it disconnected from wifi a number of times and I had to disconnect the unit from power to get it to reconnect.
    It has worked well for me, but I've never been thrilled with it because I haven't been able to monitor it away from home although I can connect to my pc via wifi.

My number one concern is reliability - period.

What I'm lookin' for is at least 4 probes and a fan, (I still have the Pit Viper that came with the CyberQ). I'd also like to be able to monitor the cook away from the house. Graphing cooks might be fun, but not really necessary for me - I don't really want to pay more just for that capability.

So what are your current recommendations? And thanx in advance.

I believe the Signals & Bellows or Fireboard will do what you're looking to do.

Comment

Fireboard will allow you to use your Pit Viper van. The ThermoWorks folks have chosen to use an USB connection for the fan so that will not work with the Pit Viper. In addition the ThermoWorks Signals does not recognize an open pit condition.

I can recommend the Fireboard.

Comment

I would (and did) go FireBoard. It will have all you need and you can use your Pit Viper Fan. And you can expand it past 4 probes, if you want. The probes are robust and they are only $15. I love mine and use it all the time.

And now with "programs", it makes it even easier to sleep easy or leave the FB to do its thing.

It also had lid detection which helps to keep the pit in shape after a lid crack for temp or a spritz.

As for graphing the cooks, it is a lot of information that you may not want. However, I actually find that it helps me to log my cooks. I can label each cook, add notes on the weather, meat, fuel, rubs and the results. This really helps to dial in flavors and cooks. It is also nice to look back at cook times when considering ambient temperatures, humidity and wind.

They are also innovating. And pushing the envelope. The product has only gotten better since I bought it a couple of years ago.

Comment

What Spinaker said. Go with Fireboard, if you have the discretionary $$ to spend. It's an amazing product. You'd be surprised how fast you can utilize 6 probes. No kidding.

Kathryn

Comment

I switched from cyberQ to FireBoard, primarily for reliability reasons (mostly Wi-Fi related). The control laws on the cyberQ were better, but FireBoard has now caught up.

When I first got the FireBoard, it was marginally more reliable than the rest. Their support team was extremely responsive and helped a great deal. After a year plus of updates it’s now very solid. I still drop Wi-Fi occasionally but the unit is smart enough to keep controlling the cook properly until it reconnects.

I’m sure thermoworks won’t let you down either, but I’ve customized my rigs for the simple 12v barrel plug fan standard viper so I’d be hard pressed to switch to anything else.

Comment

I would go with the Fireboard, as you can use the fan you already have. The Thermoworks fan has a funky mount, and won’t fit the fan adapter you already have on your cooker.

Comment

Absolutely go with the Fireboard kit that comes with 4 probes & buy the optional fan controller that will allow you to use it with your Pit Viper fan. I also have this setup. Thermoworks Signal & Billows is a closed system & Thermoworks' app has not caught up with Fireboard yet.

Comment

Fireboard for sure. I'm fairly certain your existing fan will function with the Fireboard drive cable, as well.

Comment

Thanx all for the suggestions. I was thinkin' Fireboard, but wanted some backup.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here