Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pit Viper on WSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pit Viper on WSM

Just installed the Pit Viper fan on my WSM last weekend. My only problem was the tape they sent with the unit for covering the other holes lasted about 8 hours and fell off. And yes, I did clean it before I put it on. I stuffed wads of aluminum foil in the holes to get through the first cook, but I was wondering if anyone had come up with a better solution.

I recently bought some 3M stuff on Amazon just the other day; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Haven't used it yet but have to imagine it's at least as good if not better. Maybe you got a bad batch from Pit Viper?

Now that I think about it, the wads of aluminum foil are probably just as good, if not better, lol.

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      I looked at this tape, and it says it is rated up to 600 deg F. Is that high enough?

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      I answered my own question (yes, it is good enough) so ignore this post.

Would thin magnet sheets work, the kind you could cut with scissors?

Comment

Interesting. I've got that tape on both my WSM cooker and have had it on there for 2+ years with virtually no issue. Maybe they cheapened up the glue formula. I'd give BBQ Guru a call.

Comment

I have a roll of 3M foil tape that I used when replacing some ducts under the house recently, for sealing the joints. That stuff sticks like crazy. Maybe the stuff they sent you was bad or old. I would hate to spend $10-15 on a roll of the 3M stuff, when you only need a small piece. Call the BBQ Guru folks and see if they will send out a new piece.

Comment

I had the same problem. I was crinkled at one end and when I tried a small piece on a small hole it didn't stick.

Comment

I didn't have a problem with mine. The problem was that the next time I used the wsm, I didn't use the fan, so I took the tape off. Now I need more.

Comment

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, after all I work in the electrical field. Been behind the desk too long I guess. 1/2 inch knockout covers. Works like they were made for this purpose. Oh wait, I guess they kinda were. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190819_172538.jpg
Views:	1053
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	732493Click image for larger version

Name:	20190819_173141.jpg
Views:	1175
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	732494

Comment

• GuyG
                GuyG commented
                Editing a comment
                Custom! Gotta find some!

• HandsomeDave
                HandsomeDave commented
                Editing a comment
                GuyG Any hardware store that carries conduit boxes and fittings should have them.

• Andrrr
                Andrrr commented
                Editing a comment
                YES!!! I’ve been contemplating a thermostat for my WSM for some time and thinking about how I was going to plug the holes. This is a perfect solution. Thanks!

I like your style!!

Comment

Good solution, HandsomeDave . Is it just me or does your WSM vent look sort of pirate-ish?

Kathryn

Comment

• HandsomeDave
                  HandsomeDave commented
                  Editing a comment
                  fzxdoc I didn't notice that before, but yeah It kind of does. I did spend seven years in the Navy, and used to think Sailors are nothing more than modern day pirates, so maybe it was a subconscious thing. Arrr!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here