Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insomnia = Smobot - and a Smobot question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insomnia = Smobot - and a Smobot question

Up at 3AM this morning, couldn't sleep. But I got an email that the Smotbot for the primo was back in stock so I picked one up. I liked what I read here and am looking forward to it.

Quick question though. I make a fair amount of bread and pizza on the primo, as well as low and slow Q. Does the Smobot daisy wheel need to be removed and go back to the stock wheel at those elevated temps?

I’d say yes. Bread and pizza is 500 degrees +, and you don’t want the daisy wheel on it anyway. Control your temps through bottom vent at that high temp.

Comment

I use my Smobot on a BGE and bought a second cap for doing high temp.

I inquired about this, and this was the reply.

The controller allows for controlled cooking up to 550, but in practice it can take a long time to get there with smobot installed. One trick I used to do, is to slightly pivot the smobot damper off to the side to give it extra "bypass" airflow to get up to the high temps in a reasonable time.

That said, I don't bother with controllers up above 450 anymore, because doing the high temperature stuff you're opening the lid frequently and or it's a short cook, so controllers don't really offer too much value. I love it for doing a turkey at 400 or 425 though..

Kind regards,

Eric

Comment

• pjlstrat
        pjlstrat commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you!!!

I reinstall my original daisy wheel for high temp cooks and when I want to give it a good burn out to clean it. It only takes a second with just one screw on mine.

Comment

• pjlstrat
        pjlstrat commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you!!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here