Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FireBoard....the fan control cable that beeps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FireBoard....the fan control cable that beeps?

Worth the extra $? Doesn’t the unit itself or the app beep?

The app will alert you. I don't think the unit itself has a speaker built-in. I've got the cable with the speaker and to be honest, I've disabled the speaker in the app.

Comment

I have the cable without the speaker. It's a Father's Day gift, so I haven't used it yet. Based on Pit Crew input, it sounds like the speaker cable is more of a pain than it's worth.

Comment

Based on suggestions from here, I got the one without speaker. I guess unless you sit beside your smoker or kettle for the whole cook the speaker is not much use.

Comment

• Rod
          Rod commented
          Editing a comment
          Bingo. Besides your phone is all you need. Who doesn't always have their phone nearby?

Just get the normal cable. The beeping one will be irritating whilst you’re sitting outside. The apps do all of the notifications, even via an Apple Watch! I love mine.
        Last edited by mjkelch; June 26, 2019, 02:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep I love the Apple Watch pushes.

Don't get it. It is annoying and not needed. I actually returned mine. to get the one with out it.

Comment

I got without. Plan to give the FireBoard a go on a brisket for the 4th. Tested it out on a chicken and it worked splendidly.

Comment

• JoeInTX
            JoeInTX commented
            Editing a comment
            daveIT Did you get to use the FireBoard? Which fan do you own, and how did the brisket turn out?

JoeInTX Hi, I was planning to post up and just saw yours. I ended up getting a BBQ Guru Pit Viper and putting it opposite of my Slow ‘N Sear. I put foil over the charcoal grate to direct the air over to the coals. The brisket came out great...I would hope so after so many hours!

Dry-brined it with kosher salt for a day, rubbed it with Grill Your Ass Off Gunpowder rub and threw it on at 10PM Wed, wrapped it in butcher paper at 175° and took it off at 3PM Thur at 203°. Threw it in the faux cambro until we ate around 5:30. Everybody raved about it so it turned out pretty well...

Love the logging...so easy to tell when the ash is building up or it needs new charcoal as you can see a steady decline. So nice not having to babysit it or open it to check what’s going on.
          Attached Files

Comment

daveIT Thanks for your reply/post, that brisket looks awesome, glad it turned out well. What did you have the Fireboard set at, 225? And is that the 22" Kettle? Did you have to refuel any or just clear ash??

Comment

Originally posted by JoeInTX View Post
              daveIT Thanks for your reply/post, that brisket looks awesome, glad it turned out well. What did you have the Fireboard set at, 225? And is that the 22" Kettle? Did you have to refuel any or just clear ash??
              Yep, that’s the 22. I partially refueled when I knocked ash off (3 times). I started it at 250° to get up to 145° and and then cut back to 225°. It was ~17 hr cook and normally my Slow ‘N Sear will go over 8 hrs if I keep it consistent around 225° so it seemed to pretty much stay the same with the FireBoard.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here