Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ThermoWorks Signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ThermoWorks Signals

I saw in an email from ThermoWorks this morning that signals is already set up to control a fan that they’re coming out with this summer. If the fan is reasonably priced, it may make signals a pretty good value after all. Signals is on sale right now for $194.00.

Sounds like a good deal! Thermoworks has never steered me wrong. They make great products.

Comment

I'm on the fence with Signals. The app (which is mandatory since there's no dedicated receiver) is clunky IMO. On my phone it's zoomed up so it doesn't show all 4 probes on one screen, I have to scroll to see #1 or #4. I've read that others don't have that problem. My first purchased unit wouldn't connect so had to return. The unit I have now is ok for connection, but personally for the price I'd like a receiver with app functionality. Requires you set up connection w/ Bluetooth first, then switch to WiFi. It is nice having both BT & WiFi though, I'll give 'em that. If you take it to the cabin w/ no WiFi, you can still use via BT on your phone.

Comment

• Red Man
        Red Man commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I have the smoke with the gateway and the app could definitely use some improvement.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m very disappointing with the app, in fact I quite using the unit altogether until they improve it. Quite frankly it sucks, I expected more out of them.

Huge Thermo works fan
      I would be interested in that if they do come out with it

Comment

I'm throwing out another smoke probe after this cook. It just reads HHH.H. even though the grate is at 300. I'm disappointed in how few cooks you can get out of some of them.

Comment

ThermoWorks has been my favorite thermometer company for a few years. I started with the ChefAlarm, then got a Dot, and the Smoke + Gateway. I also have a ThermoPop and Thermapen. Over time I've acquired a number of their probes. I have not purchased the Signals nor do I plan to. The Smoke's range in my house is disappointing, the app is in need of some love, and the Gateway now sits in a drawer after more than one occasion when it didn't work even though it was set up properly and was previously working, with at least one multiple-day outage of their third-party server. Their communication of the outage, at least to me, was non-existent. I had to search their website to find out what was going on. A simple email would have been fine, but none, nada. So my last purchase was the XR-50 from Adrenaline BBQ. With great range and 4 hybrid probes I'm set, and I find I really don't miss being able to check in on my cooks when away.

Comment

I agree. I usually like thermoworks products, but the app, and the gateway for smoke are crap. I did the firmware update, and have never been able to connect it since. In some fairness to Thermoworks, I have not contacted them yet for help.

Comment

I know I am late to the party on this one. Did thermoworks ever list 12v battery packs for long cooks and would it work with Billows.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Me, not sure on that. Never heard of it.

Interesting to read the mixed reactions. The Thermoworks Smoke is, for me, the nicest piece of temperature equipment I have. I wish the probes on my FlameBoss 300 were as nice as the Thermoworks probes.

It wouldn't be the first time quality hardware was hampered by lousy software though.

Honestly though, as much as I have loved my FlameBoss, I've got so proficient at getting temps to hold on long cooks, I usually don't even bother anymore.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here