Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cybercue cloud IP address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cybercue cloud IP address

Anyone know how I might obtain the IP address for my cybercue cloud? I discovered there are third party apps for it, but I’m having trouble connecting. Tried every IP address I could find and still nothing.

I like my cybercue, but the web interface sucks. Well it’s OK, but I typically have to login to my account over and over - the app is supposed to solve this.

Really the only thing about the cubercue is the share my cook website interface. It’s clumbersome. BBQ GURU - make an app already!!

to anyone thinking about a controller.....if I were to do it all over I would go with the fireboard or because I have a Primo XL smobot. Cybercue cloud works great, but the Wi-Fi interface could be MUCH better.

Since I am not a tech, I find this to be very good info! It sounds like you at least know where to start and I wouldn't. So this is a good review. I have been having a couple of problems with port #2 on my Fireboard but never a connection issue.

Comment

I use my cybercue mostly without the cloud. Really don’t need the web interface as the cloud sends text notifications (which is great). If I need to change setting or want to check the cook remotely I can always just log in to the website. So it isn’t a HUGE deal, just that an app would be vastly more convenient. And seeing as how thermostatic controllers are 100% about convenice I think not having one is an issue. Not a big huge major issue, but if I had it to do all over again I don’t think I would go with the cubercue cloud. It would be Smobot or fireboard. And since I have a ceramic cooker, Smobot works EXACTLY as the thing is intended to be used. No forced air, all convection. So I would be inclined to lean in that direction.

But I bought he cybercue while waiting for the Primo to be delivered. So I’m spoiled now. I am using it now! The only time I’m not using it is when I am grilling over direct heat in furnace mode.

Comment

the IP address of your cyberq is issued by your local Wi-Fi router. Log into your router from a personal computer to see the current list of devices your router is hosting and the corresponding IP addresses issued. (hopefully no surprises there - like your neighbor's smart TV).

The IP address won't remain persistent - a static IP - unless your router has an option for you to reserve a specific address in your router's pool of addresses for specific devices. Turn off all your hosted devices, turn them back on, and they can and certainly may get different IP addresses than issued previously.

Your CyberQ has a persistent, unique address used by your router to issue the IP address. This 'Media Access Control' MAC address is what your router will use to assign a static IP address to, again if supported by your router.

Things in play:

DHCP - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol is the application (Layer 7 - the Application Layer) that your router uses to assign non-persistent IP addresses (Layer 3 - the Network Layer) to your WiFi devices' MAC IDs.

Static IP - your DHCP application may have a 'feature' allowing you to set a static IP address for a specific MAC ID - an IP address that will not change. Your DHCP app which is unique in some ways to your model router may not even display MAC data.

Knowing how to get to lower-layer data and assign ways to manage that data with code and thereby climb the layers up to the Application layer - where confidential personal and commercial information resides, is what hackers do, and it's what I prevent.

For instance, I could user your internet provider's service layer to look at the unique address your router presents to the internet. Using service commands I could write and push code to your router and take command of hosted devices. Ultimately, this would end up with me holding your food hostage for bitcoin, or your next meat will be > well done.

Not that I've done that, or thought about it...

Comment

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          It sounds like it shows the address it's just been issued.

BTW some problems you're experiencing may be due to comms, not connections - it may be your local firewall rules on unidirectional and bidirectional port(s) and protocol restrictions. You may have to 'punch a hole' in your router firewall to tell the firewall what the CyberQ uses.

I got frustrated with the cyberq as well. Pretty much just use without any web interface when I do use it.

Its an excellent controller. Very tight control pattern and good logic, but the remote operation is frustrating.

I do know that when you set it up in ip mode and you restart it will show the address it is using briefly.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          I have the original CyberQ and it shows the address when you plug it in. It takes a minute or two, so watch and pay close attention because it doesn't display but for a short time.

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          It sounds like it shows the address it's just been issued.

BTW some problems you're experiencing may be due to comms, not connections - it may be your local firewall rules on unidirectional and bidirectional port(s) and protocol restrictions. You may have to 'punch a hole' in your router firewall to tell the firewall what the CyberQ uses.

Found the issue. The app supported the controller with the cloud - but then BBQ Guru "updated" the firmware so you can’t use the app with the cloud. Meaning that if I use the app, I will not get alerts UNLESS I keep the app open.

Fuess the wavt tit to use the website only.

Comment

Wow! That some smart stuff! I just learn to suffer with a smile when computer worlds collide!

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Not me. I clench my jaw, grit my teeth, and beat it into submission through sheer persistence! But I've been a software guy since '77.

Out of all of this that has been written the only thing I remember is "fuess the wavt tit". Way to go SmokeyGator.

Comment

• SmokeyGator
            SmokeyGator commented
            Editing a comment
            It was supposed to be "guess that is the way they want it". But Space Dust IPA is *really* good stuff.

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh yeah man, space dust is a good stuff man.

• SmokeyGator
            SmokeyGator commented
            Editing a comment
            Too good.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here