Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kettle controller set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kettle controller set up

I've recently figured out the vent settings on my 22" Weber Performer. I have the SnS and DnG. I have a Fireboard and am looking to get the Guru Pit Viper. It's on sale for $44 right now and the adapter for $20.

So my question is does anyone here have the same gear and how do they prefer to position everything? I wasn't able to find anything with this exact set up. I currently like to position the SnS at 12 o'clock to keep the heat away. Will the DnG negatively affect the fan? Is there enough space between the ash sweepers and charcoal grate for the adapter on the 22"? I'm at work right now so I can't go out look at things to get an idea and I want to place my order as the sale ends tonite at midnight.

Personally, I like the SnS at 9 o'clock on my 26. I haven't drilled the 26 out yet because I use my Guru on my kamado. I've been thinking of buying an adapter, but every time I go to buy it I scoff at the $12 shipping charge.

Comment

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah the shipping charge is pretty crappy. At least I'll be getting the fan as well. So it's a little less crappy.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely easier to swallow for a bigger order. It's partly psychological too. If the adapter cost more and shipping was free I would probably feel better about it.

The Weber universal adapter will fit under the DnG. Just make sure it doesn't interfere with the sweep. This will help the air be directed towards the coals if placed opposite the SnS. Place the SnS and DnG where they work for you the best. I have the Performer with the cart, and I couldn't place the adapter at 6 o'clock, so the SnS is at 9 o'clock, and the adapter is at about 2 o'clock because that's where the sweep dictates it has to go.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      The adapter does not interfere with the sweeps on my kettle.

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      That was my biggest concern. Thanks!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB is right, there is only one sweet spot that doesn't interfere with the sweep arm, so it has to go there. Mine is at 2 o'clock ( not sure how you guys orient) and the SNS is opposite. The only issue I have is the lid holder is at 6 o'clock and the SNS sits at 8 o'clock. When lifting the lid it's off center but that's not a big deal.

I agree with the advice above. Needs to be opposite SNS, where you like your SNS will dictate where you put the viper. I have only a 26 so can’t comment on the 22, but I think Danjohnston949 had your exact set up, although I think he is recovering from surgery at the moment.

Comment

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I saw his pics. Difficult to tell if the sweep would be interfered with if your not careful where you place the adapter.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Just noodle it, play with your sweep arm and picture the adaptar at various spots. You'll get it, it becomes obvious.

Troutman RonB So I can see where the fan can be located without interfering with the sweep.

This pic is from the front of the Performer. To the right you can see a wedge shape of ash at about 2:30. That was left from doing a full back and forth sweep.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181004_174117.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	574810

Name:	IMG_20181004_174124.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	574809

Here you can that "wedge" from the view from 9 o'clock. So can anyone see a problem if I locate the fan where that "wedge" is and put the SnS at 9 o'clock? They won't be quite 180 degrees apart.

Name:	IMG_20181004_174135.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	574814
    Attached Files

Comment

That's about what I have now - adapter at ~ 2 o'clock and SnS at 9 o'clock. The DnG will help direct the air through the charcoal.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here