Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Finished my Reverse Smoker build. Looking to polish with a fan controller...Anyone seen or going to reveiw the Flame Boss 400 Coming Soon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Finished my Reverse Smoker build. Looking to polish with a fan controller...Anyone seen or going to reveiw the Flame Boss 400 Coming Soon!

Was looking over fans and controllers and like the NEW and IMPROVED Flame Boss 400 coming September 2018. Works on Android and Ios phone and does not have a separate controller like all the other Guru's and Fireboard. This is a plus for cooks in bad weather as you do not need to hide the controls in a zip lock bag while it rains. Since my build is custom I can enclose this device in a weatherproof box under the smoke chamber and leave it attached all the time. All controls are on your phone through household WiFi so there is no need to go outside and check the controller. Only has one meat temp probe which may be a negative for some but it does come with a pit temp probe. If anyone here has any additional info on this or has reviewed please let me know. I think this is a good fit for me and my charcoal / wood long cooks. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180816_081748.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	564663

Very nice looking home build.
    Cant help with advice sought but must suggest posting pictures of your first cook.

Comment

Very nice unit! Great work. More photos, please.

Comment

Nice looking smoker! I also would like more pictures. I cannot help you with controller advice, I always run mine with chimney wide open and control fire and heat with air intakes.
        After reading in the pit and listening to the Pitcast, I have been preheating wood on top of firebox or in one side of firebox and really like the results of cleaner blue smoke.

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Very nice looking build, I'm sure she will cook well. As to the new Flame Boss I do like the "headless" design, all-in-one unit but a couple of things I thought were lacking were no Bluetooth connectivity (if you loose WiFi you're stuck on whatever setting it last registered) and only two probe ports (very limited). Although I am having some issues with my Fireboard, it's still the most versatile of controllers on the market imho. Would love your input and review if you do decides to buy the Flame Boss.

Comment

To Troutman's comment above, I bought installed and have used for 2 long cooks so far. Review to come soon, did run into a lost connection problem last night and tried everything to get fan back online. Cook screen on phone was very clear that the fan had gone offline. Ran through all screens including WIFI setup to get her back but to no avail at 1:30 am in the morning. Did not think customer support would answer at that time! Tried WIFI setup to no avail, went outside and could here fan running at 100% so did what any good computer builder or IT expert would do.... unplugged fan to reboot connection and Viola! worked the rest of the night. Turns out I had my android phones WIFI turned off in settings. Cook went as planned from there on out.

To address the lack of extra meat probes I emailed support when I first got it and they said sorry Charlie it is what it is and it bees what it bees. To address this issue I still have my many cheapo baracho cook probes from grocery store and Maverick from Home De-pot so I use these for other cuts off meat other than my main meat cook. Had Flame Boss 400 in brisket and $13.00 Chef probe in pork ribs. Makes for a little more computer wire mess in the back but as long as I have my continual pit temp The cheapo one does what I need in terms of watching meat core temps.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here