Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FireBoard with SnS/Kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FireBoard with SnS/Kettle

For those of you who use the FireBoard with a fan in the kettle or kettle and SnS. Do you hit target temp before starting the fan? Do you completely close the bottom vents? How far do close the top vent? Asking for a low and slow 225-250.

When using the Auber on my kettles I open bottom and top wide open when I dump the prelit charcoal, when I get about 10 degrees away from target temp I shut the bottom vent closed, kick on the fan, and close top about 2/3 of the way.

Comment

Any way you want to do it will probably work. Some do as Jerod does, and some, including me, start the fan right away. Both methods work. I do so that there is no ash blowing onto the food. Bottom vent is close, top vent is about 1/3 open.

The fan will control the temp, so the top vent opening is not too critical. However, if it's too wide open, the temp will run hot, and if not open enough, it will never get up to temp. I suggest getting a marker, (a paint pen works best), and marking the vent at the settings for the temps you use. Just put a mark on either the vent or the lid and a mark on the other for each temp you want to use.

Comment

Thanks. I will try the bottom vents closed and using just the fan. Using Jerod's approach, I always seem to overshoot the temp quite a bit and have to remove the cover to bring down the heat - which only helps light the coals more. What setting do you use for fan recovery after it detects the lid removed? It was set on 7 min but during the last cook I changed it to 2 min.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea I changed my fan recovery setting to like 2 minutes as well, 7 is way too long imo.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here