Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Issues With AuberSmart SYL-2615

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issues With AuberSmart SYL-2615

Prior to pitching it into the garbage and cutting my losses, I thought I’d ask if someone had similar issues and if they were able to resolve them.

No matter what technique I use the controller wildly overshoots the target temperature. That then starts a viscous circle, of wild swings above and below target. We are talking 20-25 degre. I’m guessing that after it overshoots the fan is off so long that the coals are almost out. I don’t understand why the fan is still cranking away at 25% 1 degree from target temperature. I’ve tried manually bringing it to 225, holding for an hour and letting the controller take over and letting it take the coals to temperature. This morning I thought I’d let it sneak up on the temperature by setting a multi step starting at 215 to 220 and then 225. No luck right to 238. People have recommended more coal, less coal letting burn longer or shorter but the thing is if I can control it with a reasonable amount of accuracy why can’t the Auber?

It does settle down to about +/- 5-10 degree swings after 4 or 5 hours.

I have contacted Auber, usually on Sunday they get back to me a few days later but by then I’m so buried at work I have no time to deal with it.

Kamado Joe
    Big Green Egg lump charcoal
    4 or 5 Chunks Of Wood
    1 fire starter square

Click image for larger version  Name:	A987306F-423B-4E9E-8EDA-ECCD0FEDA510.png Views:	1 Size:	125.6 KB ID:	506038
    Click image for larger version  Name:	D6D7C031-1CCC-4804-B1F0-AD48584C3D37.png Views:	1 Size:	105.1 KB ID:	506037

Click image for larger version  Name:	3A75B49E-783C-4F2C-B621-D747EC3E8126.png Views:	2 Size:	97.9 KB ID:	506040
    Attached Files

Off to the races from a low of 206 to who knows.

Click image for larger version

Name:	15492D9D-BDBE-4B65-9D5F-5AC1054FFFE5.jpeg
Views:	365
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	506056

Name:	20633C84-79FF-4D9A-8D9D-5904F9B00155.jpeg
Views:	331
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	506055

Name:	9B4DC935-4345-4EE8-9ACC-DF36722717E4.jpeg
Views:	362
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	506057

Comment

Back down to 206. Better go turn it off before it wrecks $60 worth of chuck.

Name:	AAC7A2DE-C09C-47D7-849C-41B7A6FC6084.jpeg
Views:	350
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	506071

Name:	A5F90260-A523-4201-BAC2-55AEC20588B9.png
Views:	356
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	506070

Comment

I'm away from my clipboard at the moment, there are a couple values I changed to stop the sinusoidal fluctuations. I'll check back in later when I get back home.

Comment

Smobot, in case you decide to replace it. This is on a BGE. I accidentally let it overshoot before I turned the device on.

Name:	Screenshot 2018-05-05 14.00.45.png
Views:	330
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	506108

Comment

I changed the Damp Constant to 0.8 and Cycle Rate to 10. This tightened things up for me.

Comment

Jerod Broussard which one is the "Damp Constant"?

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	506221

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't see it on that screen. On my 1615 it shows up as the "SouF" on my read-out.

Where are you getting the probe, are the plates in. You will get a higher reading on the Joe if it is above the gap between the plates and inner wall where all of the heat travels

Comment

customtrim grate probe just off of center solidly over a plate and catch pan.

Name:	E999C293-588D-4588-B549-385790B9AE81.jpeg
Views:	364
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	506259

Comment

I'm sure you can play with the settings if you want to tighten up the swings in temp. However, looking at your last graph I wouldn't worry about it.

I think people get too hung up on maintaining a specific temp within a degree or so. What's important is the average temp over the cook duration.

A home kitchen oven has routine 15°+/- swings. My Karubecue has routine 15° +/- swings. It's not really that important.

If you do want to tighten up the swings I'd load a full basket of fuel and play with it without any food inside it so you're not worried about ruining some expensive meat.

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm definitely with Histrix on this - after a bunch of years doing OCD on the temp precisions.

I am OCD and even more so when I dump cash into something that I don’t see a value in. The grate temp swings don’t bother me that much but when the food temperature also drops while the thing languishes at 206 and then climbs to 248 that’s not right. I can run closer tolerances by manually tweaking the vents so what value have I gotten for my dollar? If I recall correctly, it is a gold medal winner, what’s with that? This is considered acceptable?

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You're the judge in your case.

• Dusty
                    Dusty commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The optional battery pack is nice.

Late to the party but I noticed on the Auber website for a BGE they recommend almost closing the top vent to tighten the swings. Might work for the Joe, too.
                  Last edited by rwhfly; November 17, 2020, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here