Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using Auber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Auber

I have an Auber 1615 set up in a 18" WSM per the instructions. Last week I tried smoking wings, but could only get the temp to 240. The fan ran continuously trying to get to 320. Is the way to make the Auber work to use more coals than normal and then damper down and let the fan maintain temp? It certainly couldn't bring the temp up to 320 the way I used it. I tried to let the Auber bring the temp up.

Sounds like you may have built too small a fire or the controller is not communicating with its fan properly. I run a Fireboard with a Pit Viper fan and just did a 12# brisket on my WSM at 250* for 8.5 hours solid then cranked it up to 275* for the final 1.5 hours after wrapping with no sweat whatsoever. I did fill the charcoal basket full with several pieces of mesquite for smoke and still had some charcoal left over So it sound like something isn't functioning correctly with yours.

As to a high temp cook for chicken, I generally don't rely on a WSM. Not saying it can't be done, I just have better options. You may want to call Auber and discuss it with them and see if they can give you some help.

Comment

• Airsick
      Airsick commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I was getting some smoke on them before transferring to a gasser to finish.

It’s best (if not imperative) to get your pit to your desired temp WITHOUT the Auber. Then, use the Auber to maintain.

Comment

I have not had this issue with my Rocks Stocker.

Comment

Yesterday, I did get the temp to 225 first, plugged in the Auber and it worked fine...for two hours. Then temp kept falling, the fan stayed on, and I even opened the bottom vents to add more O2, but the temp kept falling. I put maybe a dozen more briquettes in chimney and when 1/2 white, put in the WSM. Well, the temp soared so I closed the bottom vents, added water to the empty drip pan, and after an hour of trying to regulate by removing the lid to get the temp down, gave up and finished the ribs on a gas grill. I'm ready to throw this thing away and end my frustrations unless somebody can tell me what I'm doing wrong.
        Last edited by Airsick; May 29, 2018, 08:39 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          My only advice at this point is the same as before, discuss it with Auber. You may have an electronics issue.

• lostclusters
          lostclusters commented
          Editing a comment
          When I use my wsm22 I use a sort of fuse method leaving a hole in front of the fan, where the lit coals go. My stoker recommends this. How do you start yours?

I usually put white coals in the middle with unlit ones around the periphery.

Comment

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you get your pit temp up before you start Auber? In the directions, they say to do that and I missed it the first time and was frustrated as all get out waiting for temp. Now I understand it’s for maintaining temp, it works perfectly
          Last edited by scottranda; June 12, 2018, 10:54 AM.

That may be the issue, lit coals too far from the fan. If this does not do it for you add more lit coals to start with but keep them in the front of the fan to start it off.
        Last edited by lostclusters; June 12, 2018, 10:44 AM.

Comment

While I haven't used this one, I had a digiQ that I used regularly. One thing I had to get used to is it is better to light a few too many coals and let it choke down on the air to control temp, than light too few coals and think it will spread the flame. They just don't work well like that in my experience. I also tried to plan on a 30 min delay to let the temps stabilize (sometimes more as I wanted at least 10-15 minutes stable temp) before putting in the meat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here