Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Akorn Thermostatic Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Akorn Thermostatic Controller

Ok guys I have been researching controllers so I can set my akorn at a temp and go to sleep or run errands with the family. This is something that I can justify since currently if I want to smoke I have to stay home and can't leave. I really like the fireboard for all of the inputs however I'm trying not to spend that much money on this device. I have been looking at the flameboss as well and like it but it is still a little higher on the price point than I was hoping for. I looked at the smobot and was happy with the pricing.

I would like some feedback from everyone if possible on what I should try to talk the wife into. I know if money wasn't an option I would get the fireboard however with that said I don't know if I can talk her into almost 500 since i spent less than 300 on the smoker setup. If anyone has any personal experience with the smobot or something else that is around that price point I would like to hear about it. I am going to keep an eye out on the used sites for something to hopefully pop up that I can snag in the Charlotte area.

Thank you for any input or advice!

I have the Smobot for a large BGE, and it works flawlessly. The only problem is that the software does not yet have the ability to set lo/hi temp alarms for the pit.

It is very low-energy use, which I consider a great advantage.

Comment

I Just learned what vent settings gave me the temps I wanted, and I go that route. I have done overnight smokes with 18+ pounds of pork shoulder, and not moved more than 30 degrees in pit temp. I have also modified my Akorn with a gasket around the ash pan.
      You can also check out kamadoguru.com. They have an Akorn thread.
      I have heard a lot of good things about Smobot.

Comment

• raven
        raven commented
        Editing a comment
        Thunder77 I am pretty much there with my Akorn as well but I want to have a security blanket if I have to leave the house since I do not have a lot of days off a month I am trying to not spend those days "camped" at home to watch the pit.

I have been using a Auber controller on my Akorn for three years, I love it. Liked it so much I bought a second one for my UBS.
      I set the coals in the ring of fire layout and never have to worry about screwing with the dampers. I usually set the top vent to just open, maybe 3/16 to 1/4 inch and set my temp.
      Here is the Amazon link.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• raven
        raven commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks I will take a look at that. I am kinds leaning towards something with cloud based monitoring so if I have to leave the house it is not a big deal. I realize that is what is driving up the price.

EdF I have looked at the smobot and I do like it. The only thing I wonder about is all of the other controllers use a fan to stoke the fire with forced air yet the smobot just opens the top vent to allow more are in through the intake naturally. Do you notice a larger temperature swing around the set temp than others do with the forced induction method? I am no way against a product or company doing things "different" than everyone else heck I usually like the out of the box thinking that comes with that logic.

Comment

Not a controller guy yet. Dang, you guys keep adding to my list.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2018-05-05 14.00.45.png Views:	1 Size:	30.9 KB ID:	494831raven Well, to me, it's a sort of an "Ed-stitute". Since I got a BGE in 2002, I learned to keep the bottom relatively closed, and to adjust the top vents with the daisy wheel. That's the basic 225-275F control setting. The Smobot is mimicking me. And the results are about the same, though my adjustments may be a bit more subtle.

Here's a screenshot of a recent "set and forget" kind of cook. If anything, I'd expect it to be more stable than a fan. For instance, my KBQ has a thermostat it uses to control the intake fan from the fire. It swings 10-15 degrees around the set point.
          Last edited by EdF; May 5, 2018, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here