Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

thermostatic noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thermostatic noise

I'm toying with the idea of getting a controller for my Primo 300 but have mixed feelings. On one hand, who doesn't like a new toy? On the other, direct interaction with flames and food was what first brought me to the grill and I'm not sure I want too much technology between me and the fire.
    Anyhow, as I've never seen a controller in action, I'm wondering, do these things make much noise? In my imagination, I hear a hair blower cycling on and off...

The Pit Viper fan from BBQ Guru is close to silent.

Comment

I cannot speak for all controllers just the FireBoard and the Flame Boss 300 and they are very silent.

Comment

These type fans are very quite. Nothing like a hair dryer. Not moving NEARLY that much air that fast!

I am somewhat with you on the technology though. I'm an electrical engineer - I design electronics for a living. I also write code for a living. I get tired of the computer and electronics. When I am grilling, my Smoke thermometer is my most sophisticated piece of equipment, and while I have toyed with adding a fan and temp control to my cookers, I've resisted it so far. In fact, I've now decided that rather than pursue a pellet cooker any time soon, I am just going to add a PBC to my arsenal this year for added smoker capacity and more "hands off" cooking. Charcoal and wood are great for off-grid unplugged cooking...

Comment

This one makes no noise because there's no fan. It adjusts the opening on your top vent. Designed for Kamados of various brands, including Primo. I really like it. http://www.smobot.com/

Comment

The more I can sleep and cook the happier I am. Two Aubers and a pellet smoker of experience speaking.....urrr typing.

If, if I want to play with fire I go start a bonfire.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              And yes, the overnight brisket or butt cooks are the times I would like a pellet smoker!

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              I can’t wait for the development of a robot that’s programmed to perfectly smoke meat. He can bond with my PID, Fireboard, Smoke and Thermopen. What a time we live in bros!!’

They are basically a computer CPU heat sink class fan. Not very loud.

If if you get the bigger "pit bull" size they are louder and noticeable.

Comment

I use a Flame Boss (FB) 100 when I do a long cook (an overnight) or in windy conditions (stiff wind blowing in a vent can skew up my usual vent settings for a cook).

It's quiet.

Yes, FB 100. No need for all the extras some controllers have.

M.

Comment

Mark E. Need? What is this need of which you speak? WE WANT!

I used my BGE for a year before I got a controller, so I do know how tho get by without one, and sometimes I don't even use it. But it is often useful to have the capabilities, and since my memory gets shorter as my lifetime gets longer, it is nice to be able to go back to the graphs for a bit of a refresher. Anyway, to each his own.

Comment

• Mark E.
                  Mark E. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Exactly that amigo. No need for extras. Personal preference. By all means if one WANTS extras, do it. My Dad always told us kids, "you either want it or need it".

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here