Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fireboard or iKamand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fireboard or iKamand?

Hello all!

im kinda torn between three controllers here, Fireboard, iKamand and Auber.

I realize the iKamand isn’t available yet but it has piqued my interest. As a Kamado Joe fan, I’m tempted to wait it out and see if it’s worth the hype.

Fireboard has impressed me, I’m a nerdy guy and love my gadgets. The interface is slick, provides lots of data and looks well built. It fits my criteria well.

The Auber looks well built and is cheaper than the rest, but only supports two probes.

The biggest challenge is being in Canada. Any of these setups will cost me near $500 when it’s all said and done. Possibly more if I order from the US and get hit at customs. I can get a Fireboard Extreme here for about $350 from a Canadian retailer, but then I have to add the fan/control cable which is near $200 more.

Before I make any rash decisions, who can offer advice? Wait for iKamand? Deal with one probe and save a bit with Auber? Spend a fortune on Fireboard?

thanks!

I have the FireBoard and I like it. It works great. However, I have had two issues with my Fireboard, my audible alarm was stuck on, so it was sounding the whole time I did a cook. I contacted Fireboard and they sent me a new one, no questions asked. My control unit also had a power supply problem. Again, I contacted FireBoard and they sent me a new one in a couple days. Great service.. I am not sure how smooth this process would be, given the border situation.
    I did see the iKamand the other day. I really am intrigued. They are being a bit vague on all the details But if it tests well, I would love to get one for my Jr.
    I have no experience with the Auber, but I know Jerod Broussard has an Auber. Maybe he will chime in.

Comment

No if’s or but’s definitely the Fireboard!

Comment

My Aubers have worked great for me. I did adjust a couple parameters. I brought up the damp constant because it seemed like they wanted to overshoot a tad. I also brought down the cycle rate from 15 to 10 seconds. Adjusting those two values reduced the sinusoidal tendencies of the controller.

I do know for a fact that the 6.5 cfm was waaaaaaaaaaaay too small for the 26" kettle.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerod Broussard, I use the Pit Viper Fan (10 CFM) on My 22 1/2" Weber Kettle with the S 'n S and Drip & Griddle❗️ I use the Pit Bull Fan (20CFM) on My OK Joe Stick Burner❗️ Plenty of Air Volume Using Either the FireBoard or the BBQGURU DigiQ DX-2‼️ Dan

I have the fireboard and love it.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          So Do I❗️ Their Customer Service Is Phenominal‼️ Dan
          Last edited by Danjohnston949; February 18, 2018, 04:42 PM.

Just to complicate things: http://www.smobot.com/

Only one food and one pit probe though.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Like anything, it's a matter of what you need!

• johnsteen
          johnsteen commented
          Editing a comment
          Smobot has two food probes. Just did two racks of short ribs with a probe in each.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the correction. It works very well, in any case. And I like the more passive (and low energy) approach to temp management.

I have the Fireboard. Love it. I have 3 probes - 1 for internal and 2 for the food. I can work around the house (or even go our for a while) and check on the temps whenever I want.

Comment

Auber works great. Bad user interface though. But man it works. 10 CFM on KJ Classic

Comment

Thanks everyone, a clear winner emerged.
            ‘Now to justify $500 on a new toy!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here