Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A near miss with a happy ending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A near miss with a happy ending

My wife and I have 3 boys under 5 at home, including a six week old, but we decided that it would be a great idea to host not one but two BBQs this weekend. The plan for Sunday was a full packer brisket, started late Saturday evening for a late lunch on Sunday. Ambitious for parents of three young kids, but we've been hosting people for all out summer cook outs for years and didn't want to break tradition.

On Saturday morning my four year old and I trimmed and dry brined the 11 pounder and threw it back in the fridge. At 11pm, after hours of prep work for side dishes I went out and fired up the kettle, with the slow n sear and Flameboss 300 and set things for 225. Simple stupid? Of course it was pouring rain and pitch black outside and this was my first overnight cook and my first cook in the rain. What could go wrong? I threw the brisket in the smoker and hoped to move on.

Its worth noting that I had just received my Fireboard from UPS on Friday afternoon so I decided to run it in the smoker even though I already had the Fireboss, just to try it out. For the next hour between the dark and the rain I was really struggling to get the temp stabilized. First it was running high so I spritzed a bit on the coals and then it was running low, very low, like 125. So I added about 10 hot coals and watched the temp go to 225. For some reason however the Fireboard was showing 300+. I should have gone outside and checked what was going on but because the meat temps seemed correct and it was cold and rainy and late so I convinced myself that the Flameboss had never failed and the Fireboard was new so it must be defective and I went to sleep around 2:00 AM.

At 3:30 AM my phone beeped, it was the Fireboard app telling me that my Flat was at 180deg. I opened the dashboard and saw the point closing in on 180 and the smoker at 425. This is 3.5 hours after starting the cook. Oh @#*@! I ran downstairs and out to the patio to see what was going on. I open the lid to discover that the Flameboss pit probe had fallen off the grate and was sitting in the beans. So when the temp was reading 125 that was the temp in the beans under the meat. The Flameboss had been running the fan at 100% trying to raise the temp until the beans had gotten to 225. Meanwhile the Fireboard had recorded temps close to 500 deg. I felt the brisket and it was tough as nails. I was ready to throw it out and just got back to sleep.

Instead I brought it inside. I turned the oven on to 225 deg and put a pan full of hot water on the lower rack right right under the brisket on the top rack and went back to sleep. I woke up at 7am, took out a ribeye from the freezer and ran to the butcher and bought a few pounds of ground beef and hot dogs. When the brisket hit 203 around 9-9:30 in the oven I probed it and it was still tough. I wrapped it and left it in there on warm until lunch time. Meanwhile I threw the ribeye in the sous vide and warned my guests, who were excited for brisket, that there was an issue overnight with the brisket and that even though I had tried hard to save it, it probably wouldn't be any good.

At lunch time I took the brisket out and put it on the cutting board. The point seemed soft and probe tender but the flat was tough in the middle. I cut a few pieces off the end of the point. Ridiculously tender. I passed the ends around and my guests were very satisfied. One commented it was the best bite of brisket he had ever had. I cubed about 1/3 of the point for burn ends and sliced up the flat. Then I sliced the remaindered of the point with the remainder of the flat below it. It was near perfect. Probably one of the best briskets I have ever made. Short of the slices from about 1/4-1/3 sized section of the flat being tougher than expected the whole thing was a success. Seven adults and five kids ate the entire brisket. Even those tough slices of flat i was planning to throw in the next day's baked beans were consumed.

I guess the lessons learned is not to rely too heavily on technology and not to give up unless the meat is completely destroyed or incinerated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7798.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	375817Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7797.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	375818Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7799.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	375819

For Monday we had 4 families with two kids each in attendance. 16 guests total. I made two tthree rib sections of beef plate in the Kettle and three chickens in the PBC and hot dogs on the Genesis. Also tofu burnt ends and veggie burgers for a vegan family who was in attendance. Everything was executed perfectly and I have to say, shockingly, that the tofu burnt ends stole the show. Just cubed the tofu, let it dry, rubbed with BBBR, baked at 350 for 30 minutes then put the cubes on a wire rack on top of the pbc and let them smoke for about 20 mins then tossed with a KC style sauce. We ended the evening with smores from the firepit. By ,y count, no fewer than four outdoor cooking devices were used to make that meal but unfortunately that was one cooker too many for me to handle and take pictures.

that is a darn good save there. i'm not sure i would have been so patient about it!

Comment

• adamjs83
      adamjs83 commented
      Editing a comment
      I think the save got me extra props from my friends. It was more impressive to them that it was good after the overnight snafu than if it had just been good.

• DeusDingo
      DeusDingo commented
      Editing a comment
      i'm going to try that next time "oh sorry guys, i totally messed it up. it might not be any good" "oh hey, this is still good!"

• adamjs83
      adamjs83 commented
      Editing a comment
      Under promise, over deliver. Works every time.

Nice recovery!

Comment

Nice job and sharing your dilemma will only make us all a little stronger when something like this happens to us. Thanks.

Comment

• adamjs83
        adamjs83 commented
        Editing a comment
        Your profile picture reminds me that I was thinking as it happened everything reminded me of an aviation accident chain. The accident report would read tired pit boss in command with a new thermometer cooking brisket late at night in dark rainy condition were contributing factors resulting in the crash (probe falling into the beans). Hopefully we can all learn from my mistakes.

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        adamjs83 I've taken that class! Are you in aviation? I see Long Island. We used to go to Garrett Aviation when they were open.

• adamjs83
        adamjs83 commented
        Editing a comment
        Not in aviation per se, just an avid enthusiast and Cessna jockey. I hold a private pilot license for ASEL but I haven't flown in years. I did all of my training at Wisconsin Aviation in Madison, WI when I lived there for a few years after school. Way to time consuming and costly to fly out here.
        Last edited by adamjs83; September 7, 2017, 10:59 AM.

Congrats on pulling off a winner.

Comment

Thanks for sharing! Glad it turned out!

Comment

Cool, very cool learning experience. Another lesson on never giving up. Good thinking & great cooking. Your friends should be Amazed!

Comment

Great story, great ending. I actually LOLed at the beans probe part. It's amazing how that couple hrs of hold time seems to fix all the worries with a brisket.

Comment

Great job and after talking about vegan stuff last week (and learning a bunch in the process) I am really glad you stole the show there!

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Originally posted by adamjs83 View Post

I guess the lessons learned is not to rely too heavily on technology and not to give up unless the meat is completely destroyed or incinerated.
                  What a wonderful story, adamjs83 . We should start a topic entitled Great BBQ Saves and your post should lead it off.

Great take-home lesson.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here