Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think it's time to cheat...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's time to cheat...

There is a part of me that feels like thermostats are cheating. I have no idea why because I have plenty of other gadgets rolling. Anyway, the more I've been cooking for parties, the more I would love to "set it and forget it" for a few hours while I leave the house. While I've had very good fortune with the SNS, I just don't trust it enough to leave. Sometimes it's a matter of the sun changing or wind picking up.

I've seen the Party Q, which seems to be the most popular but I've also seen a lot of love for Aubers. Oddly, my primary concern is what is going to mount the "cleanest" in my kettle. I don't mind drilling, but I like all my mods to look "clean." I used a step drill to put a hole in for my temperature probes and a little silicone grommet. This works well and looks good. However, this is always on the indirect side. I presume the hole for a thermostat is going to go on the direct side so that it can fuel the charcoal.

The videos for the Party Q show this high heat tape being used. That looks... terrible. Is there some kind of gasket that anyone has used or could recommend?

Anyway, anyone got a picture of their Auber installation in a kettle? I'm really curious to see that setup.

For a Weber kettle, the PartyQ goes on the side opposite the SnS. The actual hole is covered by the adapter and the whole thing has a very clean look. No tape needed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	15025612047151004819983.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	361259

Comment

Opposite side? Well then. That works.

How big does the hole need to be?

I'm leaning toward the Party Q because it's battery operated. I have a boatload of rechargeable AAs that I use in everything.

Comment

binarypaladin, Steve R. is absolutely correct on the Placement of Your Controller Fan Adapter! You need to Center the Hole (Adapter) so it doesn't interfere with the Ash Sweep and Just Below the Charcoal Grate! I use a DidgiQ DX-2 by The BBQGURU a 7/8" Hole with a Step Drill works Perfect for the Pit Viper 10 CFM Fan!
        Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	6 Size:	457.9 KB ID:	361387Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	6 Size:	483.0 KB ID:	361389Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	1.73 MB ID:	361391Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.97 MB ID:	361393Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.39 MB ID:	361394

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	1.54 MB ID:	361390Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	856.2 KB ID:	361388Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	1,006.7 KB ID:	361395
        Attached Files

Comment

Danjohnston949 Those pictures are great. Showing the mount just under one of the rack holders (the one nearest the vent adjustments) is perfect. That also happens to line up really well with the hole I drilled for my probes.

Welp... all that is left is to decide on a thermostat and fan combination. I'm kind of intrigued by the idea of the CyberQ now. It's absurdly high tech, but I could literally start a cook and monitor while at the office. I love having more options for weekdays.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
            Danjohnston949 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, I see Jerod B just got on! He Sold Me initially on a Controller and about Baby Sat with Me trying to Convince Me that the Auber was the "WAY"! Another P-C Member offered the Barely Used DidgiQ and. . .! Now I'm Waiting for the F-B Cable! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• customtrim
            customtrim commented
            Editing a comment
            I have the piggy q absolutely love it, some complain about the setup it really is not hard

Cheating is my preferred way of cooking. Though nothing to monitor my cook actually reaches the bedroom, I would say I'm toughening it out to some degree crashing on the couch.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
            Danjohnston949 commented
            Editing a comment
            Only the Strong and the Creative Survive! 👍👍👍👍👍 🐷🐷🐖🐷🐷 🤗😇🤗
            From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• binarypaladin
            binarypaladin commented
            Editing a comment
            Do you happen to have a picture of your Auber setup?

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here