Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which one should I buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which one should I buy?

Which one is best? I'd like to have both pit and meat temps. I'd like to record my smoke sessions for later. Being able to use K-type thermocouples, themoworks dot/chef/smoke, or Maverick type probes is a plus.

Auber, BBQ Guru, PitmasterIQ, Stoker II, Flame Boss, or just wait for the fan control cable for the FireBoard?

Flame Boss

Comment

• cstefan
      cstefan commented
      Editing a comment
      Why do you think the Flame Boss is better than the others?

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      cstefan the reason I pick the Flame Boss 300 is because it complete with the fan controller. I also have the Fire Board and I like it too but it doesn't have the fan controller yet.

Buy one of each. That way you will be able to choose depending on the cook.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Typical Pit reco! ;-)

Anything that has been on the market a while works well. It's best if you can get a chance to look at them and see them in action, otherwise decide which features are most important to you and choose them.

Comment

I have the DigiQ Dx2 which has a fan, a Pit probe and a meat probe. It does an extremely good job of what it was made to do. However I found that to be less than adequate for what I wanted. No Bluetooth or WiFi and not nearly enough probes so I bought the Maverick ET 735 that has 4 probes and it has Bluetooth capability too.

So now when I'm doing long low and slow cooks with multiple pieces of meat I have a fan and 2 Pit probes and 4 meat probes. I can track 3 pieces of meat and my Pit cooking temperature from my family room while watching a game.

I'm quite happy with my current set up but when these items breakdown I'll be looking for a unit with a fan, a Pit probe or 2, at least 3 meat probes, with WiFi or Bluetooth capability. I know many of you don't like Bluetooth but it works fine in and around my property.
      Last edited by Breadhead; July 26, 2017, 01:31 PM.

Comment

cstefan - I think the Flame Boss is the best solution as well. After an entire career of buying and building technology, I've learned a lot about how to compare products. I start out with a list of the features I want, and check the products I'm considering against the list of requirements that I started with.

Fireboard - It's been out for almost a year, and still the discussion about how we might have a fan controller at some point.

Smoke - no Internet connection but it's coming at a later date.

If I'm going to acquire a product, I need the one that actually has the capabilities that I want when I make the purchase. If no one can meet all of my requirements, I either have to pick a product that meets most of my needs, or delay my decision until additional products become available.

In the case of the Flame Boss, the product was released almost 2 years ago, complete with Internet connectivity, pit and meat probes, and fan control. As other companies started talking about additional probes, Flame Boss quietly upgraded to the Flame Boss 300, which now can control as many as 3 meat probes. They didn't promise it for later, they just released a product that worked.

Decision was an easy one for me. I've had my Flame Boss 200 for over a year, and I don't want for any capabilities. I'm not looking around for when a feature might be available. I already have my requirements met.

If I were making the decision right now, I'd still get the Flame Boss unit, although I would now choose the 300 model. I would most likely only start with 1 meat probe and 1 pit probe, because that's my need at the momemt. I would know that if I wanted additional, they are already available. All I have to do is order them. FB started with a fan interface for Kamados only, but have added additional fan hookups to accommodate many other cookers.

That's my thoughts, and I'm sticking to them

Best regards,
        Jim

Comment

I would have to agree with you Jim on everything you said. I just got the Flame Boss 300 for my Kamado Joe but have not had a chance to use it yet. I was leaning toward the BBQ Guru but went to look at the Flame Boss at a local dealer and walked out with it. I like the fact that I can record my cooks with it and can also get more probes so I can monitor 3 meats at once. I hope to give it a christening this weekend with a pork butt to find out how well it controls it.

Comment

I already had two PartyQ's so I didn't need the fan on the Flame Boss. I got the FireBoard and really like what I get from it. Flame Boss seems expensive at $349. I wonder how much the fan will be when and if FireBoard comes out with one. The case at $55 seems excessive. I have a covered BBQ area so I don't need the case

Comment

• FLBuckeye
            FLBuckeye commented
            Editing a comment
            Also, the FireBoard has the ability to monitor six probes opposed to four from Flame Boss. The two extra probes will come in handy when I do a comp. The Flame Boss comes with two probes and extra probes are $20 each

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here