Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to buy a Stoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to buy a Stoker

I've been reading reviews for quite some time both here and elsewhere. I've come to the conclusion that I am going to buy the Stoker II for my WSM 18.5. It is certainly not a small investment but I can see this as a piece of equipment that while pricey on the front end, can save on the back end. I can see expanding to multiple cookers and I currently want to be able to use it to take multiple grate temps as well as multiple meat temps.

I thought pretty hard on the Auber SYL-2615. It's less expensive, albeit not cheap, but I don't see where it can expand down the line.

For those of you that use the Stoker for a WSM - what size fan did you get? The Auber recommends a 6.5 for it's blower on an 18.5. The Stoker recommends a 5 cfm. I sometimes subscribe to the "bigger is better" mantra and am concerned that the 5 may be too small. Would you recommend a 10 cfm or stick with Stoker's recommendation of a 5. I prefer to not blow a lot of ash and I can see where a 10 would certainly blow harder and potentially create ash issues. Perhaps the 6.5 because it only goes into 1 hole in vent vs. the Stoker, which will blow into all three with the adapter would help with ash... Just thinking "out loud" here.

Mike.

My guess is that these machines have different characteristics (like rpms, not to mention the single vs multi-hole thing). So you're probably best off going with the manufacturer's recommendation.

Comment

I don't think the 5 would be too small.

My 6.5 works on the PBC and 22" kettle offering supplemental air for the PBC. Course it blows air OUT the original intake so it is pretty much doing it all at that time on the PBC.

On a 26" kettle the 6.5 is not big enough. I moved up to a 10.

I'm debating on a Stoker II when I get my larger smoker since I may still need 2 others running at the same time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here