Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone using Auber or similar fans for charcoal smokers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone using Auber or similar fans for charcoal smokers?

I've been contemplating picking up an Auber Temp controller for my WSM 18.5. I don't mind putting the meat on the smoker and getting it up to temp at 2 am to do a brisket or a 10+ lb. pork shoulder, but I'd love to get back to sleep and not fret about the temps. Generally, the temp sits at the desired 225 for the first couple hours after I get it solid, then the sun comes up, the wind picks up, etc. and it's back to vent management. It's all part of the process and I enjoy it... but I also am tempted to take what could be categorized as the "easy way out" for this fire management.

Has anyone used one and how were the results? From what I read, they do excellent work. I'm concerned about ash blowing up to the meat when the fan kicks on to increase temp.

Thanks to anyone who can share their experience with these types of systems.

Mike.

I use one in a Pit Barrel and two kettles and have no issues with ash.

One of the reasons Aaron Franklin spritzes in his offsets is to clean off ash. Go figure.

Comment

I use one in my kettle and have zero ash issues, the Party-Q fan doesn't move that much air.

Comment

I have a Stoker Wifi II by Rocks BBQ that I use on a WSM. You'll definitely get more sleep. I did have some ash issues with longer cooks toward the end- say after the 6-8hr mark using kingsford blue bag. Switched to lump and that helped tremendously

Comment

Have the same ash issue as smokinfatties on longer cooks with my CyberQ. I'll have to try lump once I'm done with my KBB.

I love my CyberQ. I don't know anyone who has bought a reputable temp controller that has any regrets.

Comment

I have a Pitmaster IQ 110 that I use on my WSM 22.5 and it works extremely well. I've found that wrapping 1/3 of the charcoal grate with HD foil (the side that sits over the vent where the fan blows) greatly reduces and issues with ashes blowing around when the fan cuts on. I also use two charcoal grates, crisscrossing them so less ash drops below.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
              Danjohnston949 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hulagn1971, It Never Ceases to Amaze Me how Much You and Other's have added to my BBQ Knowledge! While I have a DigiQ DX-2 and Pit Viper Fan on My Weber 22 1/2" Kettle! Not in over 44 Yrs of Weber's I'd never think of X'ng Two Coal Grates❓ Thank You!
              From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Thanks guys. I actually do cross two grates - I believe I picked that up here too. It make a big difference IMO. I can see where that would help with the Ash. I've also seen this cap that goes over the entire 3 hole vent that is sold by someone. Pushing air through 3 vents rather than one might also help?

Comment

I have an Auber for my Kamado Joe. You should get the appropriate size fan so you don't have the ash kick up issue. I haven't had an issue at all. In fact, I haven't heard of the ash issue. But, I suppose it's possible.

By the way, it's not cheating. It's just automating something you can already do.

Comment

• scottranda
                scottranda commented
                Editing a comment
                I use Kamado Joe lump charcoal, so that probably helps with the ash issue since it gives off so little.

No, I have not used any. Sorry.

Comment

• JCGrill
                JCGrill commented
                Editing a comment
                New holes not welcome in the Bones cookers.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Dis much is true.
                I am, emphatically, not a Luddite.
                Truth be told, I'm quite th' 'Hi-Tech Redneck'...

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here