Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temp Issues with an Auber and WSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp Issues with an Auber and WSM

Hi All,
    I recently got an Auber temp controller (6.5 CFM) for use with an 18" WSM. I tried it out on an overnight cook and it never was able to pull the temp of the cooker up to the set point of 225. The fan was running constantly throughout the night, so it was definitely struggling to make it, but had a hard time breaking the 220 mark. See below for a graph of my temp readings. The red line is where I pulled the Auber off as it was starting to rain.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Cooker Temp.png
Views:	189
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	299660
    I have a couple of questions:
    1. Has anyone had trouble getting their cooker up to temp with an Auber?
    2. Anyone using one of these in an 18" WSM? If so, what fan size? I'm wondering if I just need a larger fan?
    3. Has anyone used one of these in the rain? I have a waterproof box I can keep the electronics in, but wondering if leaving the fan connected in the ran will be the death of it.
    Any help or insight would be appreciated!!
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Close the top vent almost all the way. Bring the cooker up to temp without the auber. After it's up to temp make sure there is still enough fuel, then close bottom vent and turn the auber on. Have you used the wsm much without the pid? It really helps to already have a handle on how everything works, then just use the auber when you just can't be there to make vent adjustments. The auber website recommends 6.5 fan for the wsm.

Comment

I'll give it a try later this week. The WSM is new, just got it a week ago. I did a couple seasoning runs to grease it up, but this was my first cook on it. I definitely still need to get a handle on it without the PID, but was starting this cook at 1:00 AM, and wanted it on autopilot for the overnight hours. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

I'm not sure how much fuel for a wsm, I use sns kettle combo, but you definitely want to err on the side of a little too much when using the auber. By that I mean how many coals are lit. Without the pid too much can be a disaster, but with it it will keep the fire lit even if it has to choke it out. The sns lighting instructions are 12 coals for 225. When I use the auber I'll light 20-25. If it's too few it takes a lot longer to go up in temp. Then you'll have to stack your coals next to the unlit, so as they burn down they can freely light up. I would check the main site for how to use a wsm, get that down, then adding the auber will be simple. Keep at it, I set mine up and leave it completely unattended for hours.

Comment

My first cook was like that. Make sure the fan is pointed DOWN and make sure the flap which controls the air right next to the fan is flapping (allowing air flow).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here