Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing a DigiQ Dx2 Inducer into my Broil King Keg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing a DigiQ Dx2 Inducer into my Broil King Keg

I have been happy with my KEG over the years. But I wanted to use a controller for those overnight cooks, when I should be sleeping before the big party. I know these controllers from Guru are well thought of in the industry. I was able to pick one up from Craig's list for $150 with everything included. (Except the inducer tube). It was in perfect shape. It is the Big Green Egg Edition, but the KEG doesn't care. Before this unit, I had a BBQ Guru Party Q. I wasn't overly impressed with the unit. I found it to be under powered and the adapter did not seal well with the damper on the KEG.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	KEG:Before Inducer.JPG
Views:	441
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	298210
    This time around, I got crazy, I decided to drill a hole in my Kamado!!!! I knew they made inducer tubes for these units on cabinet smokers and offsets so I bought one online and had it shipped to me. These slide into the side wall of your cooker and give you an airtight seal. No more messing with adaptors and when you want to do a manual cook you just use the damper as you always would and put a "Kill Plug" in the inducer. Doesn't get much easier than that! Which is exactly what I wanted. So, I used a 1 3/8 step bit and a 18V drill to make the hole. (I drilled a small pilot hole first, just to get it started.)

Name:	KEG:inducer:step bit.JPG
Views:	493
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	298208
    Drilling the hole was easy. That bit is pretty aggressive so it punched a hole through the KEG pretty quickly. The KEG is double walled, So I had to drill from the opposite side as well. Once I punched through and made the holes clean, I pushed the inducer through and boom! Installation complete. All I had to do was screw the back plate on and set the snap ring to hold it tight. This took all of maybe 15 mins to install. I put a bead of high temp silicone around the inducer to ensure a good seal. I am really looking forward to getting this cook going. I have to allow the silicone to cure but tomorrow, its on!! I always love it when a plan comes together. Happy Saturday!

Name:	KEG:Inducer installed:side.JPG
Views:	428
Size:	410.8 KB
ID:	298211Click image for larger version

Name:	KEG:Inducer installed.JPG
Views:	438
Size:	408.5 KB
ID:	298212Click image for larger version

Name:	KEG:inducer:silicone.JPG
Views:	419
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	298209

Doing stuff like that is great fun.

Comment

Spinaker, I see You Shop ar Harbor Freight Too❓ Over the Long Haul You Will be Glad You Drilled and Installed the Inducer the Way You Did! Now if something Goes Wrong with the Control System in the Middle of a Cook❓ You can Use Your Vent Controls and Save Your Cook! This happened to "Me" Last Sunday❓ A Wire on the Fan broke right at the Solder Point on the Motor❓ Thanks to Laurie @ BBQGURU all is Back Together Now!
      Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	3 Size:	42.4 KB ID:	298900Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	3.01 MB ID:	298901Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.41 MB ID:	298899Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	2.43 MB ID:	298902Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.67 MB ID:	298903

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I wish they would have heaver fans. The stainless cover is nice but the inside light weight plastic.

Spinaker , you may recall you helped me with my BKK fire basket and top plate which has worked out well. For controller I have used a Pitmaster IQ110 with adaptor plate for a number of years but like the sound of your modification. Do you have other pics down the inside of the inside drum. As its double walled, I assume the inducer does all the way through and fixed at the inner wall somehow? I would also be interested if you have any lessons learnt since then. Happy BKK smoking!!!

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Is your fan hooking into the bottom slide damper? I assume it is........

• Inky
        Inky commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes it is.

What is this sleep you speak of?

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        A bit of mirage for Sticker Burners!

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        An alternate reality some choose not to take, for their own good reasons!

Originally posted by Inky View Post
      Inky,
      When you buy the kit, there is a snap ring and threads on one end of the inducer. This is the end that goes on the inside of the KEG. Then you push the inducer through the whole, snap the ring in place and screw it back against the side wall. One thing to mention as well; make sure to set it low enough to clear the firebowl in the BKK. I went directly to the left of the damper, then set the center of the hole at the same level as the center of the damper slide. (If that makes sense?) In doing this, I ensured that the inducer would work the same as if it were plugged into the damper itself. I can get some pictures when I get home to show you, if you need them.

Comment

Sweet, clean modification right there!

I got a 15lb packer getting smoked tomorrow night whilst I slumbereth.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks J!

Nice job... Very nice.. I recently fitted an Auber to my kettle and we have the same drill!! I love Milwaukee cordless tools I have a lot of them..

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0331.JPG Views:	1 Size:	6.24 MB ID:	313757

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0341.JPG Views:	1 Size:	7.03 MB ID:	313758
        Last edited by Steve Vojtek; May 2, 2017, 12:06 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          An Auber or an Auger? I grew up on a farm and I can see an auger's ability to move solid particles, air not so much.

• Steve Vojtek
          Steve Vojtek commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL Sorry I confuse words sometimes. Some sort of dislexia or something I will correct.

• Steve Vojtek
          Steve Vojtek commented
          Editing a comment
          Although theoretically if the auger was in a tube and was spun fast enough it may move air... 👍👍

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here