Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keep Warm Feature?? Thoughts/input...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep Warm Feature?? Thoughts/input...

This is not a direct feature of the Stoker, but rather of the third party software I use.
    Keep Warm Mode

Click the "Keep Warm" check box and then select one of the "radio buttons" below corresponding to one of the food probes. From then on, the program will monitor that temperature probe to see if is about to reach its target. Instead of waiting until the food probe reaches the exact temp, the program starts to lower the temp at a preset percentage in the Advanced setting (default 98%). Once food reaches this preset percentage of target, the target fire temp is lowered to target food temp + 5 degrees. This is done so that the food continues to cook in the worst case scenario of the grill temp dropping too quickly. Once the food reaches 100% of the target temp, then the fire target is set to equal it as to not keep cooking the food.

As an example, if you set your fire temp target to 300 degrees, and food target to 200, when the food temp reaches 196 degrees (98% of 200), the fire target will be reduced to 205. Once the food temp reaches 200, then the fire target is further reduced to 200 where it says there.

I haven't tried it out yet. It seems when it comes to the end of a long cook, I am typically nudging the temps up a few degrees, trying to push past a second stall, or just impatient.

Based on a couple of other threads, I am of the understanding that a typical holding temp would be between 150-170*. The above would put a hold temp around the 200+ setting of most of my smoked meats. My initial thought would be that it would increase cooking time also, as it would lower the temp closer to being done, rather than bumping up 5-10*.

So what are the "Pitmasters" thoughts on this feature?

Maybe start much earlier than I typically would, and use it (possibly for an extended,+4 hours, period of time)? Maybe just wait till I think it's done, then manually adjust the target to a lower 150-170*?

Is it a desirable useful feature, or useless and a waste of time and energy to play with?? How would you use it, if at all??

Sounds interesting. I think that I would reset the food temp to around 170* when it was done so that it would hold at 170*.

Comment

I set my Flame Boss to the hold temperature (usually 170) on overnight cooks, just in case the meat gets to the target temperature earlie than expected. That way, I can sleep in and not worry about it.

Best regards,
      Jim

Comment

The cyberq has a feature you can turn on that when the food temp is near the done temp it will shut it's self down to help avoid over cooking. Have not used it as once the kamado reachesthe temp it wont be cooling off all that quickly

Comment

I hope I am allowed to reply...
          Originally posted by TheCountofQ View Post
          So what are the "Pitmasters" thoughts on this feature?
          With my Flame Boss, I did experiment with it on my Primo after a long cook at 225°. I lowered the meat temp set point to cause the Flame Boss to go into warm mode. I quickly removed my butt and allowed the Flame Boss to do its thing. I gave it around two hours and the pit temp only got to around 200°. This is because the top vent was still slightly open from the cook and the air that was being drawn in from around the fan unit was enough to keep the grill running, as I try to open my vents to maintain my temperature and have the Flame Boss cycle on the fan occasionally to around 15% speed.

This is actually where I think a unit like the SMOBOT SMOBOT may shine, since it has the ability to completely close the top vent. But again, when I completely shut down both my kamados, it take hours for the pit temp to get to175°. And by then, I believe the fire has also completely snuffed itself out. (I need to remember to check on that theory one day.)

So it may be more useful on some cookers than others. I do enable my Warm Mode, as I figure it can't hurt, but it really will not work for my setup. But then again, I do not think I need to rely on the Keep Warm, because like you, I am normally chomping at the bit to ensure fork tenderness and get the meat to the faux Cambro.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here