Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torn Between Stoker or CyberQ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torn Between Stoker or CyberQ?

I just got a Primo Oval XL .
    Given the Stoker and the CyberQ cost about the same, which is better overall and which is easier to setup on WiFi?
    Any info/advice will be greatly appreciated.

I dont have the stoker and not familiar with it. I do have the cyberq on my kj it works like a charm, setup was easy i watched the videos on doing it much simpler than the instructions on paper. Took maybe half hour. I have used it from my work during the day with no problems what so ever, i do use a gallon zip lock bag to go over iit if the weather is going to be bad. My kamado is all stainless and table top is aluminum so i use a cell phone holder with a suction cup on the table top to hold it

Comment

I just got a CyberQ - had it online in less than 10 minutes. The web interface gives you basic control, so if you want to log your cooks you'll need to use an iOS or Android app to do that. A couple good ones are CyberCook or Pit Pal.

Comment

I am real happy with the Stoker can be controlled by almost anything and is is real simple, I use to control 2 PBC's at the same time

Comment

Of those I'd probably go with the Stoker as it can monitor/control multiple cookers with as many food probes as you want/need.

Did you consider the FlameBoss?

Comment

I tried the cyberq before sending it back, and went with a Stoker 2 in the end.

The cyberq was difficult for (for me) to set up, and I never was successful doing it. Coordinating with customer service was difficult, and it was some time before getting responses either thru email or telephone. YMMV.

The Stoker was an easier set up. Running an Ethernet cable allows the use of a keyboard (desktop, laptop, etc.) for setup, as opposed to using arrows for scrolling thru numbers & letters, while moving a cursor. Once set-up on your network, the cable isn't needed.

They may seem about the same cost, but I will say that the Stoker gets expensive quickly, as the probes are not cheap. I guess it depends on how many you get.

The Stoker can run more than one pit. It accepts a total of 6 probes, from the factory, and splitter that plug in allow expansion beyond that. I have a few, but have not actually ran my two pits at the same time yet, so have not used them yet. I expect no problems though, based on experience.

It does a great job of maintaining even/level temps. I use Stokerlog for charting, as I like a visual of what is going on with the temp, to spot trends. Am not sure, but don't think cyberq allows for charting, but verify with someone more familiar.

My vote would be for Stoker, again.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
              TheCountofQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Can also, set it up to run it from anywhere that you are online. From the office, while at the store getting the ingredient you forgot/more ice or wine/beer... as long as you are online. I personally have no need for that though. Or can run in directly from the stoker directly.

• TheCountofQ
              TheCountofQ commented
              Editing a comment
              I used Ethernet for keyboard. Permanently assigning names to probes (red, blue, green, etc.), for ease of identification in the stokerlog, while taping the corresponding probe wires with electrical tape, for ease of identification at the cooker.

• TheCountofQ
              TheCountofQ commented
              Editing a comment
              The website is rocksbarbque.com . Sometimes have to refresh your changes, only in the third party app, but not an issue... as long as you know to verify it accepted the change and not assume. No issues updating with the factory interface. Download the user/owner manual. Good info there.

I have the CyberQ. It's OK, but not great. It took me a fair amount of time to set up, but works well at home. I have not figured out how to connect to it whn I'm not at home, but have not contacted them. The one thing I would like is to have it set off an alarm on my phone when the pit temp is out of range, or the meat is done. I have not spent any time trying to figure it out though.
            I don't know if the Stoker does that either. I also haven't figured out if or how to graph a cook and save or print it.

Comment

• customtrim
              customtrim commented
              Editing a comment
              RonB it can send you either a text or email if your temp goes low or high and when your food is done

Here is one of my very first charts. can see the various probes, added notes, pretty easy to tell when I added food and opened the lid. Had to adjust sensitivity for the auto lid detect. I don't add coals as often, now that I trust the stoker is set up correctly and works. I just load it up and let it go, can get about 24 hours, depending on weather. If the temp climbs much, it's usually ran outa water in my pan, or I didn't close my door well, and it's sucking excess oxygen.

I've gone on long enough about this... sorry all.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              No worries here about brevity; actually, it's very informative an' educational, at least fer me.
              Good quickie intro / tutorial.
              Thanks!!

Omega-Man congrats on the Primo. I've got one too. Love it. There's really nothing it cant cook. BTW, I don't use any of these devices. I've found that it'll hold temp for a good 6 hrs before you'll need to make any adjustments. You might want to play around with the cooker first before buying a temp controller. Just a thought...

Comment

• customtrim
              customtrim commented
              Editing a comment
              Good advice from@JCBBQ one thing no one mentions is how many cables you have to deal with

• TheCountofQ
              TheCountofQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, cables can be an issue, mainly tracking which one is in each hunk of meat. And probe placement!! Sometimes a slight relocation of the probe in a cut yields a sizeable difference in the reading. It has a learning curve to it & not fool proof. Just a helpful tool when used properly, I would say.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here