Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody use this for probe placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody use this for probe placement

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0844.JPG Views:	1 Size:	13.5 KB ID:	266182

Last edited by LA Pork Butt; January 21, 2017, 04:30 PM.

Not I.

Comment

I can't figure out how it even attaches or how to use it.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        lschweig - well, first you bend over....

• ribeyeguy
        ribeyeguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm proud I've resisted all obvious comments from flyin' right outta my pie-hole.'
        Reckon I deserve a 'treat' now, as it has been very difficult!!! ;-)))

RonB LOL..............well that ain't going to happen and I am well puckered up.

My son drove a Ford Probe while in collage and rear ended a car at some point. Lot's of jokes came from that.

Comment

lschweig - I think the tapered part is pushed between the grate bars until it stays in place. Then you adjust one of the pieces with a hole in it to the proper height and run your probe through the hole.

Comment

• lschweig
          lschweig commented
          Editing a comment
          In line with your former comment I think I will stay away from the obvious comments regarding probe and hole size. LOL

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          lschweig - a wise decision.

I think it looks very promising and intuitively simple. The stepped wedge is designed to fit a variety of grate sizes/shapes...yet I wonder how it'd work with expanded metal grating...perhaps fine. You just have to watch your height, especially on a kettle. I'd put the probes 1" up off the grate, and no higher than the top of the meat, preferably about midway up the height of the meat.

The stock picture of it is a poor representation since it's out of context with no reference point. Here's a video showing it in greater detail:

Comment

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee, Why are You So Smart and I am So Dumb? I have 3 - Probe Trees from The BBQGURU.
          As I posted to La Pork Butt below I like them for Placing the Grill Probes Uniformly!
          I don't like how hard the Wedge is, makes Placement difficult! 👎👍👍👍👎
          From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Danjohnston949 you're smarter than me if you already have 3 of them!

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee, Absolutely Not! You found a video and asked for input! I just Up and Jumped Off the Cliff Sight Unseen?
          I am trying to give an evaluation that is Fair to All Parties! The Hardness of the Wedge is My Complaint!
          From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

LA Pork Butt - After seeing Huskee 's video it looks intriguing. I had the same jokes running through my mind that the others did at first. If you end up getting one let us know how it works and what type of grates you used them on.

Comment

That does look neat.

Comment

I use something similar shaped like a ball of foil

Comment

LA Pork Butt, I have 3 of the Probe Posts from BBQGURU! I like them for Positioning the Grill Probes Uniformly on My Webers and on My OK JOE Highland Offset! I don't like that the Wedges are So Hard You Damned Near Need a Sledge Hammer to Place them on the Grill? All in All 👎👍👍👍👎 !
              Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

I've got a few short pieces of 1/8" ss bar left over from the rib racks I made. I'm gonna see if I can come up with something simpler when I get a chance.

Comment

Just another gadget

Comment

• Blowingsmoke
                    Blowingsmoke commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm inclined to agree. It seems somewhat gimmicky to me.

Yes, I have used it on my Kettle several times. It allows me to place the probes from my Smoke and Party Q strategically, so I don't have temperature separations due to location.

Comment

Welcome mattcotool

Comment

A hearty welcome from Illinois mattcotool

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here