Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DigiQ Weber adaptor - above the charcoal grate or below ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DigiQ Weber adaptor - above the charcoal grate or below ?

So, my Christmas present from me, to me arrived today - the DigiQ DX2 with Weber adaptor.

I've had a look at their doc at https://www.bbqguru.com/content/pdf/...coal_Grill.pdf but I can't work out where the adaptor (and hence the air blowing in) should go. I know it should go opposite my fire (smokenator normally, but open coals sometimes too). But should it be above the lower (charcoal) grill / grate, or above that ?

Thanks!

Go below it

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
      Go below it
      Thanks - will do!

Comment

The rationale behind being below the charcoal grate is you are replacing the air that would normally come in from the bottom vents with that from the Guru.

Comment

I had asked a question in another thread about using this setup with a PK, but hadn't looked at the doc above. Does this imply that I will need to punch a hole in my PK? Note there are two bottom vents on a PK, located left and right. If I should have the fan on the side opposite the fire, can I simply use that vent? I'm not looking forward to drilling a hole in my PK.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve R. View Post
            The rationale behind being below the charcoal grate is you are replacing the air that would normally come in from the bottom vents with that from the Guru.
            That makes sense. I guess I just can't reconcile the tiny gap in the adaptor with the giant holes in my bottom vents.

Comment

Originally posted by carolts View Post
              I had asked a question in another thread about using this setup with a PK, but hadn't looked at the doc above. Does this imply that I will need to punch a hole in my PK? Note there are two bottom vents on a PK, located left and right. If I should have the fan on the side opposite the fire, can I simply use that vent? I'm not looking forward to drilling a hole in my PK.
              I know nothing about your PK, so I can't help you there, sorry. However, I will be drilling 2 holes in my weber tomorrow. I'll post pics and my experience with the terror.

Comment

• carolts
                carolts commented
                Editing a comment
                Your comment above may be the key...the PK vents have a single hole, not a fanned-out circle of them. If I can get it to seal around the single vent hole I should be all set. The PK is cast aluminum and I won't be taking a drill to it anytime soon.

You've probably already thought about this but make sure that the location will be clear of the ash sweeper blades in both directions. I held my adapter in the spot I was going to drill then worked the ash sweeper to confirm I was ok. I have the PartyQ and use it on both my 22" Kettle and XL BGE.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzydaddy View Post
                You've probably already thought about this but make sure that the location will be clear of the ash sweeper blades in both directions. I held my adapter in the spot I was going to drill then worked the ash sweeper to confirm I was ok. I have the PartyQ and use it on both my 22" Kettle and XL BGE.
                Thanks ! My main worry was about getting it entirely below the grate and also 180 degrees to my fireb I hadn't even considered the blades and I need to be able to open and close those !

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                  fuzzydaddy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Maybe use a piece of tape to mark the point where the blades stop (the blades to each side of where your adapter is going). Then when you drill you'll know the area you've got to work in.

That is a legitimate concern. Just make note of where the blades move from closed to open and keep it out of that area and you will be fine.

Comment

I'll throw my 2 Cents in on this! The first thing a person should do is Check with the BBQGuru for the Proper Fan Adapter for Your Grill or Smoker! Their Techs are extremely helpful and knowledgeable! You want to mount the Fan JUST BELOW the Coal Grate +- 180* from the S 'n S or ??? As Fuzzydaddy pointed out you want to center the adapter between the extreme movement of the Ash Sweep (Weber)! A Pilot Hole should be Drilled first and then a Step Drill can be used to Finish or an Electricians Knock Out Punch also works Well! Both can be purchased at Harbor Freight Tools!
                  Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	2.97 MB ID:	260271Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.14 MB ID:	260266Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	4.70 MB ID:	260270Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	5.63 MB ID:	260272Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	2.97 MB ID:	260281Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	4.71 MB ID:	260277Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.14 MB ID:	260275
                  Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here