Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DigiQ DX2 and WSCGC question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DigiQ DX2 and WSCGC question

I just got my new DigiQ and set it up on my WSCGC. Doing a low and slow cook. Started it up and set the Pit temp (235). I set the top to it's normal low and slow position and closed the bottom vent...this was not the thing to do! Temp just dropped and dropped and the fan didn't kick in until the temp dropped to 215. Then it just cycled off and on (a few seconds each time), never did raise the temp back to the set point. So I yanked the unit and went back to manual control.

So...clearly I had no idea what I was doing. I did the setup according to the YouTube videos but then realized that I couldn't find any "operational" info specific to my cooker and the DigiQ.

Does anyone have any experience with this pairing that can advise on vent settings? Failing that, any input from the Greybeards on the forum is always appreciated and considered carefully.

Porterdriver, I have a DigiQ Dx-2 that I use both on a Weber 22 1/2" Kettle with a Viper Fan and on an Oklahoma Joe Highland COS with a Pit Bull Fan!
    I am not familiar Your WSCGC Designation but on Both My Weber and OKJ Highland the Lower Vents are Totally Closed During the Cook! Have you adjusted the Fan Gate? There should be 3 Positions Marked on the Slide (Gate) I suggest the Middle Position to Start! I am just going out to Light my Weber, S 'n S, Drip 'n Griddle with the DigiQ Dx-2 and Viper Fan! It is 23* F here in Fargo now! I will try to check back with You Later!
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	231
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	258126Click image for larger version

Views:	206
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	258128Click image for larger version

Views:	198
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	258130Click image for larger version

Views:	202
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	258129Click image for larger version

Views:	205
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	258131
    Attached Files

Comment

• Porterdriver
      Porterdriver commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry but this BBQ business is just an assemblage of TLAs and FLAs. WSCGC is the acronym that I use for the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Center

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      Porterdriver, I envy You Your Weber Summit Grill Center! I would believe it would behave similar to the 22 1/2" Kettle with the
      DigiQ-Dx2! I can't fault you for CodeSpeak Huskee even has a dictionary! More on Yesterday's cook and Temps Below!
      From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

I got the same one for Christmas and used it for the first time today and was going to post about it and saw yours. I did two racks of SLC on a Vision komado. I set it for 225. The temp came up slowly and topped out at about 240. The top vent was barely open. The fan gate was open to the smallest opening.

The temp stayed over 225 until about 4.5 hours into the cook. The fan came on and kept it steady at 225 untiI took them off 45 minutes later. I was also keeping the temperature with my Maverick 732. Both probes were within an inch of each other but the Maverick read about 10 degrees higher early on, but were within a couple degrees by the end.

When I pulled the fan out of the lower vent several drops of water came out of the neck of the fan. Is this normal? Was it just condensation? The outside temp got into the high 30's and was about freezing when I removed it.

The ribs looked good, were juicy and tugged off the bone. They were not the tastiest I have made, but I may have been a little light on the rub. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1758.JPG Views:	1 Size:	770.6 KB ID:	258199Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1760.JPG Views:	1 Size:	487.1 KB ID:	258200Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1759.JPG Views:	1 Size:	545.3 KB ID:	258201Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1754.JPG Views:	1 Size:	617.5 KB ID:	258202Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1756.JPG Views:	1 Size:	537.0 KB ID:	258203Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1757.JPG Views:	1 Size:	618.3 KB ID:	258204Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1755.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.51 MB ID:	258205
    Last edited by Ptrbve; January 1, 2017, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• Porterdriver
      Porterdriver commented
      Editing a comment
      Questions... Bottom vents? Closed completely. How hot was your fire before you closed the cooker down and let the DigiQ take over? How long did it take for your cooker to come up to temp? What was the high temp that the cooker stayed at for 4.5 hours?

The bottom vent had the blower in it opened just to the first line. The top vent was only open about a sixth of the way. I started my fire with one "Tumbleweed" starter and let it go with the top opened for five to ten minutes before closing it. The highest temp it reached was 241 according to the Maverick, maybe a half hour after closing the lid.

When it got up to 225 I closed the top vent to where it was just barely open. The temp dropped slowly once it hit that high, so it never left the "low and slow" range. The DQ did not have much to do until nearing the end.

A few days before, I experimented with it using my kitchen oven. I hooked it up with the probe in the oven and the controller and fan on the counter. I set the DQ for 225 and the oven at 180. After the oven temp stopped around 180 the fan started to puff away.

I upped the oven temp and the fan stopped as it got closer. I upped the DQ to 250 and the fan kicked on again until the oven approached that temp.

You may want to give it a try just to see. Hopefully your wife wont make fun of you as mine did to me!

Comment

• Porterdriver
      Porterdriver commented
      Editing a comment
      Great idea about testing this new toy in the oven! Too late on the 'wife making fun' part though.

Porterdriver, Ptrbve, I just realized we are Cooking on Three Different Grills together! The Common Denominator seem to be All are Charcoal👍👍👍!
    We are All using the DigiQ-Dx2 Temp Control! For Yesterday's Repast "Boneless Prime Rib Roast"! I used a 22 1/2" Weber W/ S 'n S, Drip & Griddle Pan, and the DigiQ-Dx-2. No water was used in the S 'n S. The Roast was Dry Brined with Coarse Kosher Salt and Garlic Powder for 24 Hrs in a Freezer Bag in the Refridgerator! Tones Restaurant Grind Black Pepper was added to the Roast 2-3 Hrs before going on the Grill. For the Cook 1 Small Weber Starter of Coals +-30 unlit were put in 1 end of the S 'n S, 5 Hickory Chunks were Spread on Top and 12-14 Lit Coals were Dumped in the Opposite End of the S 'n S! The Digi-Q was set on 275 to start, the Temp Probe was +-2" above the Grate, no food probe was used, the Bottom Vent on the Weber was Closed! The Top Vent was opposite the S 'n S and open about 3/16"+-. The Roast was placed in a Weber Roast Rack with Temp Probes in each end, the Grill Temp Probe was attached to the rack! The Cook was Monitored with a FireBoard, using 3 of the 6 Probes, 2-Food & 1 on the Grate! The FireBoard
    Record the Temps and Times! The attached Pic's should give you the Rest of The Story!
    From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	39.4 KB ID:	258601Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	38.7 KB ID:	258598Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.28 MB ID:	258604Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	4.33 MB ID:	258603Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	4.31 MB ID:	258607Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	4.32 MB ID:	258605Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.84 MB ID:	258606 Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	203
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	258611Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	232
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	258612
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Danjohnston949; January 2, 2017, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Tried the 'Oven Method' and now I have a better understanding of how the unit-as-a-whole works. I watched it cycle the fan on when needed and off when the oven went over temperature. The only surprise to me was the how wide the temperature gate appears to be. I know from reading here on The Pit that a 20-25 degree swing is not unusual but I kinda thought the DigiQ would hold the temperature tighter than that. I guess that I was expecting the swing to much less...maybe 5 degrees.

By the way, I submitted the same original question to the folks at BBQ Guru and here is their response: "The fan damper needs to open ½ way and the top damper the same." So on my next cook, I will defer to their expertise with the WSCGC and the DigiQ DX-2 and set the dampers as they recommend.

Thanks again to the folks here.

Comment

Alright, I did a cook with the new DigiQ and my elevated understanding of the device. Not sure what was happening before but this time I picked a temp, set it, and it held it there for the entire cook. I did follow BBQ Guru's advice and set the fan damper and the top damper both to 1/2 way. It was rock solid. Feel much much happier now about giving in to the siren call of MCS; my bride does too!.

Now I do would like to seek some advice regarding My Thermapen Smoke and my BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2. This cook was 350 degree, indirect. I had the 'pit' probes of both set about an 1" apart on the indirect side for this cook. Temperature on the DigiQ was set to 350. The unit brought the cooker up to temperature and held it there. However, while the DigiQ was set to, and registering, 350, the Smoke showed the temperature at 337. I know that's only a 13 degree differential but I would really like consensus on which unit I should trust for a more accurate temperature reading?

Comment

You could put them both in boiling water or ice water and see which is closest to 212 or 32 degrees.

Comment

I always see about a 10 degree difference between my dx2 and my et-733. Usually on the lower side. Per the manual, the dx2 will snap to the desired temp within 5 degrees. I just accept this fact and I trust the et-733, because I have checked it in boiling and ice water. Both within +/-2 degrees. Other than that, its been rock solid once I figured out the damper settings on my 26 in.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here