Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heatermeter vs others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heatermeter vs others

Seems there's tons of Kickstarters trying to do Wifi controlling. I heard Heatermeter is awesome open sourced but a bit of a task to setup. Is there any other drawback to the Heatermeter? Also how many probes can you hook up to it? Wondering if it could control more than one cooker. Also the app support are the apps good and do they map the temp fluctuations so you can use that to modify your algorithm? Also are there any out there that are good from the start like Smartfire or CyberIQ

I would so totally dig one of these.

Like A Rock
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; October 25, 2016, 11:57 AM.

Comment

I have the Rocks BBQ Wifi Stoker- can control multiple units, and can hook up to your wifi although it's kind of a pain to get set up, but their customer service is excellent!

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
        BriggsBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        What cooker do you have it on or cookers have you used it on? Do you get much temp swings?

• smokinfatties
        smokinfatties commented
        Editing a comment
        i have it on WSM, keeps consistent temps and learns the impact. The thing with the stoker is that you set each blower fan to a target temp and assign it to a probe. You can have different target temps for different cookers etc.

The Heatermeter can only control one fan so that would obviously limit you to controlling one cooker. The Heatermeter has 4 probe ports.

The only unit that I am aware of that can control multiple cookers is the Stoker. The Stoker is able to do that because everything that plugs into the Stoker control box is individually addressable - each fan or temp probe has its own ID number (that's is what's going on in the big white plug of their probes/fans).

When you say the Heatermeter is a "task to setup" what do you mean - the assembly/soldering? If you don't want to assemble your own unit I believe Auber sells assembled Heatermeters. Over on The Virtual Weber Bullet forum there are a few great threads about bullding/setup/operating the Heatermeter. You might want to check those out.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
        BriggsBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        That is what I meant but I like doing all that stuff. I remember seeing the Stoker a while ago. Concerns me that you cannot change the algorithm and therefore for one cooker you might have huge temp swings. Maybe I am over analyzing this all.

BriggsBBQ Most of these devices are smart enough to learn how/when to turn on/ramp up the control fan. They will almost always hold temps to within a degree or three the entire cook. Some are smart enough to know when you open the dome or lid to your cooker and not immediately fire up the fan. There is no need for anyone to manually screw around with the brains of the device.

I don't have a Stoker so I have no direct experience with it and controlling multiple cookers simultaneously but I am pretty certain it is up to the task of keeping temps stable while doing so.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
        BriggsBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting...never thought about the opening the lid effect. My brother just flew into town. He bought a digiQ for his egg and never uses it and offered to give it to me. Might play with that.

Yes, the stoker does keep very consistent temps. It does detect when the lid is off and the fan then pauses, lets the pit get back up to temp, and adjusts accordingly. One thing to keep in mind too with the stoker is that the unit controls air flow (at least on the WSM).

On the WSM, you have 3 bottom dampers and 1 top one on the lid. I keep my lid one only 1/8th open (just enough to draft OK) and the bottom dampers are closed with the exception of the one with the blower that is wide open (but covered with the blower and can that covers damper). Kind of confusing as i type it but my point is that by having everything close to being closed, the stoker can easily bring temps down if needed and the fan always brings it up to temp quickly and keeps it within a few degrees.

If you are using a fan system, I usually recommend lump charcoal as KF blue tends to ash up quite a bit (at least for longer haul meats)

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
        BriggsBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the info seems the Stoker has a lot of stuff worked out. Agree on the ash for long cooks. Noticed that this last competition.

• smokinfatties
        smokinfatties commented
        Editing a comment
        yeah not a huge concern if you wrap but it can be a pain!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here