Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First REAL cook with the CyberQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First REAL cook with the CyberQ

I took two boneless chuck short ribs out of the freezer Sunday and salted them for dry brining on Monday. They went on this morning at 10AM after firing up the Weber with the SnS at 9:30. We left the house at 11 with the grill steady at about 230*. When we got home at 2PM, one of the pieces was at 205* and probe tender. The larger one was at 198*, so that stayed on a while longer. I wrapped both in foil and put them in the oven at 170*, (lowest possible setting), until around 5PM when I had to raise the oven temp for potatoes. We ate at about 6. The ribs were very tender and tasted great, (Montreal Steak Seasoning for the rub). They were by no means dry, but could have been moister - maybe 3 + hrs was too long in the fake faux cambro.

Now a report on the CyberQ: I forgot to calibrate all the probes before starting, so I did it after and just started using the Thermopen when the ribs were getting close to done. At my elevation, water boils at 211.7* F. The pit probe read 4 to 7* low in boiling water. The three other probes also read low - all between 4 and 5*. I plan on labeling each probe so I will know the correct reading. This is why I prefer Thermoworks probes.

Connecting the unit via wi-fi was fairly easy once I used the correct IP address. However, it's supposed to be possible to connect to an Andriod phone via hot-spot mode, but as far as I can tell, Android phones don't support that. There may be a work around, but I didn't look. I did install the Pit Pal App on my phone and that works well around the house. It works over the internet, so if you can get to the internet, you can check readings and change settings from anywhere. So I can monitor temps and fan output from the CyberQ display, my pc, or my Android phone and change settings. My phone's internet connectivity is very flaky so I was not able to get a good connection while we were out.

Sides included sweet potatoes and roasted Brussels sprouts. The BS were still in the oven when I took this shot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A07Y3828.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	172251
    Last edited by RonB; May 27, 2016, 06:49 AM.

Great post. That's some bark there! My PartyQ probe runs about 5 degrees high. Otherwise I'm all ThermoWorks.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      If you know how much your single probe is off, it's not so bad, but if you have multiple probes, it may take some effort to keep things straight. At least the Thermopen will help.

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed RonB. Great cook you did!

fuzzydaddy - thanx for commenting.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here