Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Auber - Pulled the Trigger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auber - Pulled the Trigger

So I pulled the trigger on a temp controller. There seem to be many options out there, but I ended up going with the Auber as really all I need is the temp control. I already have a igrill2 to keep an eye on the meat temps and I don't really need wifi connectivity for the controller itself. I also ordered the rechargeable battery pack. It is supposed to be able to run the 6.5cfm fan for well past 20 hours on a charge.

I got the adapter for my KJ Classic, but it looks like it should also work with my Weber Summit Charcoal - I will put that to the test and let you all know! Now I just gotta wait...

Coolness. I need to get one of those battery packs for mine.

Comment

kingdarb, I think You should wear Jerod Broussard wit questions about the Auber! He advised me and I appreciated his extensive Knowledge! In the end I bought a DigiQ-2 from a Pit Club Member at a Favorable Price it was nearly New! I believe you won't believe the Temp Cont you will Have going Forward!
      Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Nice and thanks for the tip! I may do just that. It looks like it is a pretty easy thing to install and use. I am really looking forward to using this fella on the overnight low and slow cooks. Getting a good nights sleep while cooking a brisket or pork butt will be awesome!!!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          It is nice getting that much sleep!! It is easy to set up.

• Darchie03
          Darchie03 commented
          Editing a comment
          kingdarb, I have their larger unit on a large offset & I love it, once it stabilizes at the set temp there is very little fluctuation in grill temp. Enjoy

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Temperature controllers for our Pits are like a gift from the BBQ God's. I did long low and slow cooks on my large BGE for a few years before getting my DigiQ Dx2 and felt the need to stay up all night to make sure all was on track. Now... I set it and forget about it.😁

I went with the Auber teamed with a Weber kettle and SnS definitely worth it. Drilled the hole between the one touch cleaners. Plug it in and holds temp perfect.Thanks to Jerod Broussard previous posts it was a breeze. Now I'm squeezing in long cooks between work and kids games. Getting questions at dinner about how I found time to cook like this. You will love it!

Comment

• Chiefmoon
          Chiefmoon commented
          Editing a comment
          In mounting the Auber, did you lose the use of the cleaners? Where did you put the blower, front, back, side? I'm leaning this way for thermostatic control but I'm a total newbie in regards to this. I have a Weber 22.5 kettle and a SNS.

Thanks for any help.

Chiefmoon : When I use the Auber, it is mounted on the right, lower side of the cooker (if facing it from the front), kind of under the ignition. There is a stainless steel knock-out plug there that is supposed to be removed to allow temp controllers to be connected. The Auber easily connects here with the stock attachment system with no modifications. It does not interfere with the propeller-looking ash cleaner, and the Auber is easily removed and the plug can be easily replaced.

Comment

@Chiefmoon: There is a spot between the one touch sweep and under the coal grate. That's where you drill your hole for the fan. The SNS goes directly across. No ash gets in even if you clean while cooking. The Auber fan is good about not blowing the ash around too. Then you drill probe holes on the bottom part of that kettle right below the lid lip. It's easy to wrap the probes in foil to stop leaks. And if you don't want to use the Auber you can just plug the holes foil. The holes drill out easily. The only time the temp isn't dead on accurate is when I forget to dump the ash catcher, it insulates too much and the temp spikes. Line the open part of the coal grate with foil, it helps direct through air and keeps juices out of your fan.
          So just sweep your one touch to find the spot where they don't reach. Mark it under your coal grate. Drill the hole. Place SNS across from it.

Comment

• Chiefmoon
            Chiefmoon commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the pics and info. You mention the ash catcher. Keeping it empty also helps control the temp?

Just ordered an Auber too. This is going to be my last add on I am buying for my cookers. If this doesn't help me then I am done ordering things. I don't mind minding the grill while cooking but if I can't even walk away for a bit to prep something in the kitchen then this is becoming not so much an enjoyment but a tedious task. I have spent enough on smoker addons that are promised to enhance my cooking that I could have just bought a good pellet grill and and left the driving to them. I guess I just might have a sooty thumb when it come to smoking.

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Hang in there man... it will all come together for you soon. Most of us love tending our cookers. It should be a pleasure not a chore. What cooker are you using now?

I'm getting one from Santa. Too bad I have to wait. Can't wait for the Auber!

Comment

I've had mine for a few months now. I dig it. As long as I set my top vent right and don't light too many coals up front, it will hold 225 all day on either the KJ or the WSCG. Very happy with it.

Comment

i Just added a 10 cfm auber to my 22 WSM I'm doing a couple try runs at 325. Its holding temp very well but there seems to be a lot of ash on my grate. I have the top vent wide open and the bottom 2 closed. Any suggestions?

Comment

Ok, got the Auber. Figured out what size hole to drill and then drilled it out. Had to stop there for a large amout of Crown Royal to get over doing that to my Weber. I am amazed by the spring retainer on this. So I get it all hooked up and then get the instructions downloaded and off to the races I go. Make a dry run with empty grill. Now I come to a dilemma. Which temp probe do I trust. The Auber or my trusty Maverick 733. Any thoughts or reflections about your experiences with this set up.

Comment

If you use both at once give it time to come to an exact temperature. I put my DOT in to test the auber, at first it was off by ten or so degrees. After a few hours they would equalize. But remember it is nuts to stress over a few degrees difference. This cooking is so exact it's better than an oven. Part of the fun. 225, pile in charcoal over a paraffin starter turn on the auber, come back when temp is steady. 325-340 whatever, you probably need to light a chimney starter to get that many coals going. Spritzing the lid, or coals, removing or adding coals, when your desperate can control temp. If you go for long cook.... I.e. I did a couple butts for a party then tried to amp up temp for chicken, you have to clean out ash. I confidently set the auber up for long cooks then go to work. Even short cooks I use it just so I don't have to worry. Also it rules for blowing on coals just to get ready to sear.

Comment

I found out what your saying. I use the maverick to run the temp and the auber to control it.Finally getting to almost fire and forget. Temp fluction was minimal. Worse moments were when I pulled my roast to wrap Iit then temp soared for a bit due to the oxygen influx but I left everything alone and it calmed bsck down. Ambient temp was in the high 30's so ran out of charcoal near end. Dumped in some unlit and closed up grill and auber faned the coals back up to temp in no time. Ash is considerable and still torn between pulling auber to work ash system or just cutting off handle to leve it in. Season shutting down so may wait until next year to deal with it.

Comment

I am at the six month mark with my Auber SYL-165. Just finished two briskets and four slabs of ribs over a period of sixteen hours at 13-20 degrees here in St Louis. Absolutely flawless performance and incredible accuracy in spite of a 10-12 mph "breeze".
                      Highly recommend the Auber products.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here