Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ Guru Ready Kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ Guru Ready Kettle

BBQ Guru adapter finally installed on my 22" Kettle + SnS. Now I wait for the funds for a DigiQ DX2, or I have to remember to bring my PartyQ from TN when I come down next time. My Son helped me with this and we made sure the ash sweeper clear it in both directions, and it does. There's less than an inch clearance in both directions so not much room for error.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6063.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	167917

Nice job FD!

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you sir! I just looked at your signature. "A few Weber Kettles" - love it!

fuzzydaddy. Mind explaining your method for drilling the hole without making a mess or cracking the enamel badly? Been wanting to drill some holes for temp probes and eventually a digiQ type device but I am worried about starting the hole without cracking coating. Normally I would use a punch to start a pilot dent. Any other advice for drilling the digiQ hole? Thanks. M

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      @Mitchi I had a secret weapon. My Son did it all for me. I believe he did what FLBuckeye did - drill a small pilot hole and went up a few sizes until I had he right size for the probe hole, and used a step bit for the PartyQ.

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      Mitchl, Before I tried drilling sequentially larger Holes, I went to Harbor Freight Tools and Purchased a Knock Out Punch Kit for +- $20.00! I had to drill a Pilot Hole between the Sweep Maximuns like fuzzy said and below the
      Coal Grate +-1", increased it to 9/16", Then Puched a 7/8" Hole! Dan

• Tim E
      Tim E commented
      Editing a comment
      I used a step bit for my installing my auber in the kettle. Worked pretty good.

@Mitchi I have drilled holes in my Weber kettles as well as my two WSM's for probe wires. I started with a small pilot hole and went up a few sizes until I had the right size. I used a threaded pipe thingy (forget what is called) that handles four wires with no issues. For my PartyQ, I used a step drill bit. No issues there either. I have zero mechanical aptitude but both mods were very easy Click image for larger version

Name:	P6090374.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	182579

Comment

fuzzydaddy, FLBuckeye, and Danjohnston949. Thanks for the info. I will look into a step bit and also a knock out punch kit. Likely cheapest alternative will win out. I like the threaded sleeve for the probe wires as it looks like less chance of fraying probe wires. M

Comment

• CarlP3
        CarlP3 commented
        Editing a comment
        I used a 1/16" split point bit (it bites without having to use a punch) to make a pilot hole and then went to a step bit. Split point was just a couple of bucks, already had the step bit but I don't recall it being too pricey.
        Last edited by CarlP3; June 19, 2016, 08:05 AM.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        A step bit works really well, and if you are careful, you may be able to size the hole so that the nipple will screw into the hole. That makes it more air tight. I would suggest putting the probe hole just below the rim of the kettle bottom - hopefully above the cooking grate.

Here's a link to what I did with my kettle - click on "see more":

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/se...my+weber%22%7D

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here