Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grinding my own fresh pepper where can i find a 16 Mesh sieve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grinding my own fresh pepper where can i find a 16 Mesh sieve?

Ive been scouring the internet i cant find a single thing about this. Can anyone help me?

How big do you want it? How bad do you want it? Here's one that's probably too big and possible too expensive
    - https://www.amazon.com/KimLab-Econom...ag=googhydr-20

Comment

Not that bad of a price, but im also wondering if anyone here was successful at making it and what did they use? thank you for the recommendation

Comment

I Have the Cuisinart DBM-8 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00018RRRK as it was discussed in an article on here somewhere was the best to use for grinding peppercorns to get to the 16-mesh size Aaron Franklin mentions to be best size for brisket.
        SO being newbie, i dont know what i need exactly to get to that 16 mesh size i want.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Reckon, if'n it were me, I'd jus grind me up some black pepper, with my pepper mill, or my spice grinder, if'n I was needin me a whole bunch, right quick, like...I fully realize yer tryin to follow Aaron's receipt to th T, but really? To Me? size doesn't really matter, at this point... jus dose it down, liberally, with ya some fresh cracked ground black pepper, along with some coarse kosher or sea salt... I often cheat, an use granulated garlic, as wail as powdered onions, proportionately... ;p

Check out flour and sugar sifters. Many of them have 16 mesh screens, are cheap, and can pull double duty in the kitchen.

Comment

So there are 2 steps to this... grinding and sieving. You'll grind the pepper and then use sieves to separate it into various sizes. So a 16 mesh sieve will hold back anything that size or larger and let finer particles drop through. You can sieve those further, discard them or just use them.

The reason you want a burr grinder is that they grind more uniformly, so more of the pepper will be close to the size you want. You'll need to experiment a bit with the grinder you use, but you should find a setting that gives you a product that's close to 16 mesh.

NOTE: Unless you're going through a LOT of peppercorns or insist on perfect freshness, this might not be worth the investment. You can buy 16 mesh ground pepper and either vacseal it into smaller packages or simply buy in quantities that are small enough that it won't stale before being used. Franklin goes through pounds of the stuff and given his rep, the slight difference between fresh ground and pre-ground matters. In your shoes I'd try pre-ground and see if you like his approach.
          Last edited by rickgregory; December 31, 2020, 02:24 PM.

Comment

I bet you've been reading/following Franklin bbq technic. He uses 16 mesh. But he also uses a very different smoker than most of us.
          He is probably one of the best brisket smokers there is.

The important thing in smoking meat is finding out what you like and trying to duplicate that every time.

I think 16 mesh pepper is about the size of course Coshire salt.

What I like to use is a mortar and pestle. I get about 16 mesh and smaller. I have sifted out the fines and used that and left them in.
          I have not found much difference in either.

What's important is that you use fresh pepper corns. That's more important than grind size.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here