Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Beefer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Beefer!

Anyone have any experience with the Beefer? Curious if it works as well as in the video, also about build quality, and the ability to cook other foods, etc. Looks pretty awesome though!

Someone else on the main AR site was talking about that a while ago, sure is a beast. At $850 USD for the small one it sure would take a lot of steaks to make it cheaper to get the steakhouse sear at home. Far more cost-effective to sear over blisteringly hot charcoal or a gasser if you ask me.

Comment

Have you looked at the Joe Namath Rapid Cooker from EdenPure? Very similar concept except smaller and much cheaper. In fact, PC Richard & Son has a rebate deal going until 12/31/14 where you can pick it up for $299 after rebate. It looks very tempting to me. Supposedly puts out 1400°F

Comment

I'll stick with charcoal in the Vortex at about 600, I'm scared of 1472 degrees F

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Burn, your vortex maybe quite a bit hotter than that my friend. My infrared was giving me high temp (HHH) readings when I shot my vortex. Which means that it was over 1100 F at the time!!! But I agree, I'll stick with charcoal and the Vortex.

• The Burn
          The Burn commented
          Editing a comment
          I had a disposable aluminum grate on top of my grate on the Vortex (wide side up) with vegetables on it and the Vortex incinerated the darn thing

I hear ya. But it would just be for the sear.

Comment

Seems like a lot of money and fuel usage for a sear.

Comment

I suppose you're right.

Comment

On the other hand, you can't take it with you....

Comment

Originally posted by The Burn View Post
                I'll stick with charcoal in the Vortex at about 600, I'm scared of 1472 degrees F

When you consider the radiative portion of the heat emitted by charocal you're doing much better than 600F.

Comment

I won't even pretend to understand what that means But I did just realize that the only approximate temps I've taken over the Vortex were with my probes sitting just inside the top of the dome, so surface temp is going to be a good bit hotter.

Comment

Chimney with a grate on top and a load of charcoal blazing would be much more cost effective for searing.

Comment

It sure is a lot of money, but I paid 650 (Swiss Franc and USD are about even) over here for my Performer Platinum on sale... if I had a bit more storeage space, or wasn't concerned about leaving it out in the elements, I would probably find me a Beefer on sale and start searing! I bet you could get quite a bit of use out of it with some time and imagination... but Dr ROK is right... the ghetto sear works just fine with zero investment.

Comment

That thing is pretty cool. I always love the new gadgets out there. I'm fine with using the Vortex, but if you were tight on space and you could justify the steep price tag, it might be worth it. Thanks for the post Jefferson, its always interesting to see new things especially from other parts of the world.

-John

Comment

Damn people. Now I gotta figure out what a vortex is.

--------------------- Neat thing that Vortex! I just don't do charcoal yet.
                          Last edited by morganjim; April 6, 2015, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here