Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Food Processor or Blender?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food Processor or Blender?

Folks,

I broke our Cuisinart DLC-8 food processor. The plastic tab on the bowl cover snapped 'cause Ol' stupid had the bowl on backwards and tried to force the cover to snap closed.

I've dug around for a replacement, but this model is off the usual sources. I found one used one, but not interested in that.

So, now the opportunity arises!! Which would you choose if you could only have one? Food Processor or Blender? And which of your choice would you recommend? The DLC-8 worked very well for us size-wise - I think it rates around 10-11 cups, so a similar size is desirable.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Both

Comment

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      I would love to, but do not have the room for both.

Go with the Bass-o-matic!

Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	273
Size:	486.1 KB
ID:	1186165

but seriously, the two devices are really good at doing specific things. We wouldn't make milkshakes or margaritas in a food processor, just like we wouldn't make coleslaw shreds in a blender.

Figure which purpose is most important, and focus on that as your solution. Keep in mind: there may not be small-size blenders, but there are small-size food processors (meaning, you could still get both if you had to)

The NINJA series supposedly has a blender+food processor unit, but we are unable to provide a pro/con review for you

Comment

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      I was kinda hoping for a Binford 2000, but alas, no blenders or food processors. 😎

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Have had 2 ninja combos, both broke prematurely

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      mmmm...love that bass!

I have a a Cuisinart combo BF-703 (I think) It has both F.P. and blender attchement. I use the F.P. most of the time.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20220307_183709.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	1186203

Comment

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting! Gotta check into this idea. Thxs!

So, 'both' is the correct answer but the REALLY correct one is "it depends on what you do."

I have a small, 1.5c food processor since, for what I do, it's fine most of the time. For example, yesterday I was making some kimchi paste and wanted to get a paste of ginger, garlic, fish sauce. It worked great for that. It would be useless for cutting cold butter into pie dough (something FPs are good at) since it's far too small.

But I have a fullsized KitchenAid blender for blending sauces etc because when I blend those, I need to capacity of a full sized blender.

Bottom line - it's really down to how much you would use each. But how about replacing the food processor with another and getting an immersion blender?
    Last edited by rickgregory; March 7, 2022, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      Understand your points. The funny part is that I broke the FP while making a chili paste from dried chili pods. Never done it before. And most recipes say you can either, but I could see how a blender might have handled the liquid part better. Regardless, I use the FP maybe 3 times a year, and I do have a small, handheld immersion blender. Hah, based on this, maybe I don’t need either.
      Oh, yeh, this is The Pit - no way I’m getting away with that!

I have 2 food processors and and an immersion blender. I know where the processors are, but would have to hunt for the blender.

Comment

I use my blender more than my processor. Both mine are kitchenaid, and love them both.

Comment

If you can truly have only one or the other, then I’d suggest the food processor. A blender is a bit of a one trick pony (a unitasker) by comparison.

Comment

Do you have room for a food processor and an immersion blender? I don't remember the last time I used my full-sized blender. I use the food processor all the time and the immersion blender occasionally. Besides, MBMorgan is right that a blender is a unitasker compared to a food processor.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
            GolfGeezer commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a small immersion handheld that we got as a secret Santa. I’ve used it for small ideas like chimichurri, so I get what you’re saying. Looks like the our usage really leans to the FP.

So, what did you do with the one you had? What we do or don’t do doesn’t amount to a hill of beans. I have both. I have used the blender twice in a 17 mos. Never used the processor, ever. So it will sit or I will sell it.

Comment

I have a food processor and an immersion blender. So far the combination has worked well.

Comment

We use both, but if we had to have only one it would be the processor as its got more versatility (like being able to shred with the grater head). I never had a blender until we got married. We have an immersion blender as well, but seldom need it. If primarily concerned about drinks and not food prep, then I might switch my answer . Honestly, its nice having both.

Comment

I have a Cuisinart DLC-10 made in the early 80's. It will last forever. Replacement parts are easily available from Cuisinart and other sources.

Food processors are multi-function appliances, blenders are one trick ponies.

Comment

Like RichieB I have a combo unit. Couldn't be happier. We only use the food processor probably once every other month, but the blender gets daily use.

https://www.amazon.com/Ninja-Kitchen...047567968&th=1
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks everyone. So, for now, I’ve used some superglue on the split plastic tab I cracked. Since we don’t use the FP that often, hoping this holds things together and allows me to procrastinate until it really falls apart.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here