Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free.

[ Lost Username or Password | Pitmaster Club Information, | Join 30 Days Free | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Meat-Up in Memphis

T-Shirts & More T-Shirts & More
Order men's and women's T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Aprons, Mugs, Caps, Tote Bags, Flasks, and more, all imprinted with the Pitmaster Club logo. There's even a spiral bound journal where you can make notes on your cooks.

Cool Embroidered Shirt Cool Embroidered Shirt
This beautifully embroidered shirt is the same one Meathead wears in public and on TV. It's wash and wear and doesn't need ironing (really!), but it is a soft cottonlike feel. Choice of four colors and both men's and women's.

Click here for more info.

Support ARC

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, and it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! And remember, we only recommend products we love. If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon.

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

BBQ Stars

SPOTLIGHT

Some Of Our Favorite
Tools And Toys

These are not ads or paid placements. These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Placeholder

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer

A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Click here for more info on the Maverick PT-55 Waterproof Instant-Read Thermometer Review shown above. It may be the best value in a thermometer out there

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear

The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

Bring The Heat With Broil King Signet's Dual Tube Burners

the good one grill

The Broil King Signet 320 is a modestly priced, 3-burner gas grill that packs a lot of value and power under the hood. Broil King's proprietary, dual-tube burners get hot fast and are able to achieve high, searing temps that rival most comparatively priced gas grills. The quality cast aluminum housing carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Click here to read our complete review

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill

The Good-One Open Range is a charcoal grill with an offset smoke chamber attached. It is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. The grill sits low in front and doubles as a firebox for the smoke chamber which is spliced on above and behind so it can work like a horizontal offset smoker only better. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

Griddle And Deep Fryer All In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all. Plus it has a built in cutting board, garbage bag holder, and paper towel holder. An additional work table on the left side provides plenty of counter space.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers in the hardware stores because temperature control is so much easier. Best of all, it is only 9 delivered to your door!

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Swiss Army Knife Of Thermometers

Placeholder

The smart folks at ThermoWorks have finally done it: The Swiss Army Knife of thermometers, two in one. Start with the industry standard food thermometer, the Thermapen MK4, (Platinum Medal winner) truly instant (2 to 3 seconds) precise (+ or – 0.7°F). Then they built in an infrared thermometer ideal for measuring the temps of pizza stones, griddles, and frying pans (also great for finding leaks around doors and windows in your house).

Click here to read our test results and comprehensive review and why it won our Platinum Medal.

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Placeholder

Char-Broil's Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you're off to the party! Char-Broil's TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill

Their NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Placeholder

G&F Suede Welder's Gloves

Heat Resistant Gloves With Extra Long Sleeves Hold The Hot Stuff

If you're using oven mitts at the grill, it's time to trade up. Say hello to these suede welder's gloves. They're heat resistant enough to handle hot grill grates, and flexible enough to handle tongs. The extra long sleeves even let you reach deep into the firebox to move hot logs without getting burned. Our Fave.

Click here to read our detailed review

Click here to order from Amazon

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, keep small foods from committing suicide, kill hotspots, are easier to clean, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily removed and moved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke to whatever is above. Every gas grill needs them.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

kareubequ bbq smoker

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker

The First Propane Smoker With A Thermostat Makes This Baby Foolproof

Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Professional Steakhouse Knife Set

masterbuilt gas smoker

Our founder, Meathead, wanted the same steak knives used by steakhouses such as Peter Luger, Smith & Wollensky, Morton's, Kobe Club, Palm, and many others. So he located the manufacturer and had them stamp our name on some. They boast pointed, temper-ground, serrated, high-carbon stainless-steel, half-tang blades with excellent cutting edge ability. The beefy hardwood handle provides a comfortable grip secured by three hefty rivets. He has machine washed his more than 100 times. They have never rusted and they stay shiny without polishing. Please note that we do not make, sell, or distribute these knives, they just engrave them with our name.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

PK 360 grill

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado. Beautifully designed and completely portable. Meathead says it is his preferrred grill.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order it direct from PK and get a special deal for AmazingRibs.com readers only

Fireboard: The Ultimate Top Of The Line BBQ Thermometer

fireboard bbq thermometer

With the ability to monitor up to six temperatures simultaneously with either Bluetooth or Wifi on your mobile phone, tablet, or computer, Fireboard is the best digital thermometer we’ve tested.

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill

Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2020

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Save $100 by booking before November 28th,Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis2020)
See more
See less

Advice for first Sous Vide stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raven
    Club Member
    • Apr 2018
    • Charlotte,NC

Top | #1

Advice for first Sous Vide stick

I know I could go down a black hole in researching which one of these to get but I figure if I ask for the pro's input it will save me a lot of time and hassle to know I am getting a good stick. I am looking a the Amazon prime day deals and see two different ones that jump out to me. The Instant Pot SSV800 and the Anova Nano. I see there is a 50W difference but I don't believe that is a huge deal it will just take a little longer to warm up. I don't see a requirement of bluetooth or wifi so those are not really deciding factors to me. Here are links to the Amazon pages

https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culinar...gateway&sr=8-3 $64.35

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-S...KX0DER&sr=8-13 $54.99
  • fzxdoc
    Founding Member
    • Jul 2014
    • My toys:
      Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center (WSCGC) aka Mr. Fancypants
      Pit Barrel Cooker (which rocks)
      Weber Summit S650 Gas Grill
      Weber Kettle Premium 22"
      Weber Jumbo Joe Premium 22" (a weird little 22" kettle mutant on 22"-long legs) (donated to local battered women's shelter.)
      Camp Chef Somerset IV 4-burner outdoor gas range

Adrenaline BBQ Company's SnS, DnG and Large Charcoal Basket for WSCGC
      Adrenaline BBQ Company's Elevated SS Rack for WSCGC
      Adrenaline BBQ Company's SS Rack for DnG
      Grill Grate for SnS
      Grill Grates: five 17.375 sections with GrateGriddle for Summit S650 gasser (they sit on top of existing Weber SS grates)
      2 Grill Grate Griddles
      Grill Grates: six 19.25 panels for exact fit for Summit S650 gasser

Fireboard Extreme BBQ Thermometer Package
      Fireboard Competition Probes 1" (two) and two more Ambient Probes
      Pit Viper Fan (to pair with Fireboard Fan Driver Cable)
      Thermoworks Thermapen MK5 (pink)
      Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 (pink too)
      Thermoworks Temp Test 2 Smart Thermometer
      Thermoworks Extra Big and Loud Timer
      Thermoworks Timestick Trio
      Maverick ET 73 a little workhorse with limited range
      Maverick ET 733
      Maverick (Ivation) ET 732
      Grill Pinz
      Vortex (two of them)

Two Joule Sous Vide devices
      VacMaster Pro 350 Vacuum Sealer
      Instant Pot 6 Quart Electric Pressure Cooker
      Charcoal Companion TurboQue
      A-Maze-N tube 12 inch tube smoker accessory for use with pellets

BBQ Dragon and Dragon Chimney

Shun Classic 8" Chef's Knife
      Shun Classic 6" Chef's Knife
      Shun Classic Gokujo Boning and Fillet Knife
      Shun Classic 3 1/2 inch Paring Knife

Top | #2
    See if they have the Joule on sale. You won't regret buying one.

Kathryn

Comment

• Davek8282
      Club Member
      • Mar 2016
      • Prince George, B.C.

Top | #3
      Both the Anova and the Joule are good machines. The insta-pot is fairly new so a little harder to gauge its longevity. I personally prefer the Anova as you can run manually. The Joule requires the use of a smartphone to operate. Make sure u are buying genuine Anova on Amazon there are (or where) some warnings on the Anova website

Comment

• Bkhuna
        Club Member
        • Apr 2019
        • Merritt Island Florida

Top | #4
        I have a second generation Anova with Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi is a neat trick, at first. Now I don't bother with it. You need your immersion circulator to 1) heat water accurately, 2) maintain temperature without fluctuation, and 3) circulate water in a container. Bells and whistles aren't required.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Wut he sed.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          +2
      • pkadare
        Club Member
        • Jun 2019
        • Bobcaygeon, Ontario
        • My gear:
          22 Weber Kettle
          Napoleon PRO Charcoal Kettle Grill
          Broil King Keg
          Traeger Pro 34
          Napoleon Prestige Pro 500
          Pit Barrel Cooker

Top | #5
        Amazon has a very liberal return policy. Buy them both, test them, and then keep the one that does what you need.

Comment

• pkadare
          Club Member
          • Jun 2019
          • Bobcaygeon, Ontario
          • My gear:
            22 Weber Kettle
            Napoleon PRO Charcoal Kettle Grill
            Broil King Keg
            Traeger Pro 34
            Napoleon Prestige Pro 500
            Pit Barrel Cooker

Top | #6
          BTW - if you get into SV, you'll likely want a second one at least. :-) MCS2? More Circulator Syndrome?

Comment

• crazytown3
            crazytown3 commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 on that. I obtained my 2nd unit a few months after the first. Things need 2 different temps sometimes, so I was forced to buy the 2nd one.

• pkadare
            pkadare commented
            Editing a comment
            crazytown3 - Forced, heh, heh, heh. :-)
        • Greygoose
          Club Member
          • May 2019
          • South Shore,MA

Top | #7
          Happy with my Anova

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            Myself as well. Like that I don't need to use a phone to operate it.

• Greygoose
            Greygoose commented
            Editing a comment
            I like the KISS principle,,,keep it simple Sammy but my name ain’t Smmy LOL😂🤣

• mnavarre
            mnavarre commented
            Editing a comment
            Same here. I think i've used the app more to look at recipes for time/temp than I've used it to control the unit.
        • klflowers
          Club Member
          • Sep 2015
          • Tennessee

Top | #8
          The ChefSteps Joule is on sale for 139.30.

Comment

• raven
            raven commented
            Editing a comment
            I saw that too but honestly I don't see the need for myself to have wifi and the extra cost associated with that.

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            raven I agree. I have the Anova and I don't use the wifi at all. Luckily I got it really cheap before they got so popular. The joule has a good rep though.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            It is also a much higher quality unit with recipes, pre loaded cook times, and a company that will stand behind their product. raven
        • crazytown3
          Club Member
          • Jul 2019
          • Stansbury Park, UT USA
          • Weber Performer (AH) - Black
            ThermaPen Classic - Red
            Weber 6707 Deluxe Tool Set
            Weber 6645 Travel Tool Set
            Weber 6469 Premium Grilling Rack

Top | #9
          I have 2 units, both of them are 'off brands', and they both work great. Neither one has bluetooth or wifi, and that's just fine with me.

- VAVA Sous Vide Cooker
          - Dash Sous Vide

That being said, I think the Anova units are very well supported, and the Anova Nano is one I have considered getting as a 3rd unit (MCS2 indeed).

Comment

• Troutman
            Member Recipe Director
            • Aug 2017
            • Republic of Texallence

• OUTDOOR COOKERS
              22" Weber Kettle - Red Premium Limited Edition
              6 Burner Weber Summit Gasser
              22" and 18" Weber WSM Smoker
              18” Jumbo Joe
              36" double door Lyfe Tyme offset stick burner (SOLD !)
              Pitts & Spitts Pellet Pro 2436
              BBQ ACCESSORIES
              Classic Thermopen
              Thermoworks SMOKE
              Fireboard Pro with Pit Viper fan
              Grill Grates
              SNS for the 22" Weber kettle
              A-MAZE-N Smoker 12" Tube & Tray
              Weber stainless veggie basket
              Weber stainless fish basket
              Weber stainless rib rack
              Phat Mat cooking mats
              Barbestar BBQ Cooking Gloves
              WOOD & PELLET PREFERENCES
              For Beef (brisket, beef ribs, large clods/roasts) = 100% mesquite, oak or hickory
              For Chicken & other fowl = competition blend, cherry/oak/hickory
              For Turkey = 100% hickory or competition blend
              For Pork Shoulder = mesquite, oak or hickory
              For Pork Chops or Ribs = 100% applewood
              SOUS VIDE
              Anova Immersion Circulator 900 watt & 12 & 18 quart Rubbermaid containers with hinged sous vide lids
              INDOOR COOKWARE
              Generic Calphalon non-stick cookware set of pots and pans
              12" & 14" All-Clad Stainless skillets
              Cast Iron 12" skillet by Victoria
              La Creuset Cast Iron 7 quart Dutch Oven - Yellow Round
              La Creuset Cast Iron 7 quart Dutch Oven - Cherry Oval
              Old Revere Wear Copper & Stainless Pots (handed down)

JA Henckels 15 piece Stainless Knife Set
              Victorinox 12" Fibrox Pro Slicing Knive
              Victorinox 6" Curved Boning Knife
              Set of Dalstrong Japanese Steak Knives

Top | #10
            Anova, hands down. Best bang for the buck. You can sometimes find the larger unit on sale for around $99, makes it a much better bang for the buck than the Joule. Joule's a fine machine, just can't justify the additional cost.

Comment

• pkadare
              pkadare commented
              Editing a comment
              Not to mention the absolute need for another device in order to be able to use it. I've got the Anova that does both blue tooth and WiFi, and I'm a huge gadget geek. Really have never used my phone or any other device with it.

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              As a negative comment, I had my Anova app simply blow up on me over the weekend. I had logged probably 25-30 cooks on there. The app just went haywire. Tried to revive it but no go. Ended up downloading it again to get it to work but lost all my recipes, dang it. They need to cloud base it like the Fireboard to avoid that from occurring.
          • fracmeister
            Founding Member
            • Jul 2014
            • Sprang, TX
            • Dances with lemmings

(and smokes on a Yoder 640, raises bees and shoots a .408 WIndrunner) "come la notte i furti miei seconda"

Top | #11
            I have them all. Pretty good luck with them. I use them all the time

Comment

• Troutman
              Member Recipe Director
              • Aug 2017
              • Republic of Texallence

• OUTDOOR COOKERS
                22" Weber Kettle - Red Premium Limited Edition
                6 Burner Weber Summit Gasser
                22" and 18" Weber WSM Smoker
                18” Jumbo Joe
                36" double door Lyfe Tyme offset stick burner (SOLD !)
                Pitts & Spitts Pellet Pro 2436
                BBQ ACCESSORIES
                Classic Thermopen
                Thermoworks SMOKE
                Fireboard Pro with Pit Viper fan
                Grill Grates
                SNS for the 22" Weber kettle
                A-MAZE-N Smoker 12" Tube & Tray
                Weber stainless veggie basket
                Weber stainless fish basket
                Weber stainless rib rack
                Phat Mat cooking mats
                Barbestar BBQ Cooking Gloves
                WOOD & PELLET PREFERENCES
                For Beef (brisket, beef ribs, large clods/roasts) = 100% mesquite, oak or hickory
                For Chicken & other fowl = competition blend, cherry/oak/hickory
                For Turkey = 100% hickory or competition blend
                For Pork Shoulder = mesquite, oak or hickory
                For Pork Chops or Ribs = 100% applewood
                SOUS VIDE
                Anova Immersion Circulator 900 watt & 12 & 18 quart Rubbermaid containers with hinged sous vide lids
                INDOOR COOKWARE
                Generic Calphalon non-stick cookware set of pots and pans
                12" & 14" All-Clad Stainless skillets
                Cast Iron 12" skillet by Victoria
                La Creuset Cast Iron 7 quart Dutch Oven - Yellow Round
                La Creuset Cast Iron 7 quart Dutch Oven - Cherry Oval
                Old Revere Wear Copper & Stainless Pots (handed down)

JA Henckels 15 piece Stainless Knife Set
                Victorinox 12" Fibrox Pro Slicing Knive
                Victorinox 6" Curved Boning Knife
                Set of Dalstrong Japanese Steak Knives

Top | #12
              Not that this has anything to do with your choices, but buying one and using it is a game changer (gawd I hate that term, can't believe I just used it). Had a meal to make for the wife and myself on Saturday night and had nothing thawed. I opened the freezer inside the house and started to dig, I keep a log of my meat freezer in the garage but not the one in the house. Anyway I get to the bottom and here are a couple of choice ribeyes from October of 2018 looking all gnarly but still well sealed in their vacuum bag.

So I fire up the Anova in my small container and 20 minutes later I'm at 129* and I plop them still frozen into the bath. I took off and had an errand to run, came back after an hour and let them go for another hour. Went outside and fired up the Jumbo Joe, filled the charcoal basket with 1/3 chimney full of coals. At the end of the bath I seasoned, seared and those little choice steaks tasted like pure California gold. Tender, wall-to-wall perfectly medium rare pink in color with a glorious mahogany sear. Really enjoyed those little buggers.

So...the moral to the story is don't even hesitate to buy a circulator. Those who turn their noses up at SV cooking have no clue of it's potential.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Ziplocks work fine, you can clip them to the edge of the container you're cooking in. The water will push the air out of the bag by displacement pressure and you get a good result. Just want to make sure you keep the sealed end out of the water and you get a good surface area adhesion to the meat so it can cook evenly. Vac sealers aren't that expensive, I'd still advise investing in one of those instead.

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                I bought mine on a lark - I had read some stuff on here about the Anova, and I saw it on sale cheap and grabbed it. It is a very useful tool - right up there behind my SNS.

• stratfordwill
                stratfordwill commented
                Editing a comment
                Another +1 for the Anova, and for Troutman's comments. My experience has been the same. SV is awesome in it's own right for things like corn, fish, and eggs. But in combination with grilling and smoking, it's an invaluable enhancement to your toolkit. Be sure to check out serious eats sous vide section for recipes and ideas. (there's also really good pressure cooker stuff on serious eats, but alas, I think Troutman has probably already seen it and remains unconvinced)
            • jumbo7676
              Club Member
              • Jun 2018
              • Centreville, VA
              • GMG Daniel Boone

Weber Spirit E-310
                GrillGrates

Weber Performer Premium 22"
                Slow 'N Sear 2.0
                Drip 'N Griddle Deluxe
                EasySpin Grate

Weber Kettle Premium 22"
                Vortex

Weber Smokey Mountain 14"

FireBoard
                Maverick XR-50

Top | #13
              I just pulled the trigger on the Instant Pot SSV800. Looks like I was too late for the Anova Nano sale. At $55 bucks, Instant Pot seems like a good intro into world of sous vide.

Comment

• pkadare
                pkadare commented
                Editing a comment
                I think you made a good choice. If you ever want to SV a big hunk of meat the Nano may have been a bit under-powered. Thanks for assisting the Canadian economy, eh!

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree
            • drauber
              Charter Member
              • Aug 2014
              • Gainesville, FL

Top | #14
              SV cooking adds a whole new cooking experience and new tool to your cooking arsenal. Consider purchasing this book "Modernist Cooking Sous Vide" There is also a Sous Vide FB forum that is very helpful for beginners

Comment

• pkadare
                pkadare commented
                Editing a comment
                No need to spend $25 on an SV book, there are tons of free SV resources online. The SV FB forum is very busy and the admin is a bit of a dick. YMMV.

• Bkhuna
                Bkhuna commented
                Editing a comment
                I started off with sous vide several year ago by reading the Serious Eats and Modernist Cuisine web sites. I can't see the utility of buying a book, although I do admit to using a tablet in the kitchen at times when I'm trying to follow a new recipe.
            • Bkhuna
              Club Member
              • Apr 2019
              • Merritt Island Florida

Top | #15
              @pjlstrat - No you do not NEED a vacuum sealer. However, it is nice to be able to buy meat in bulk, vacuum seal it, and put in the freezer, where is will reside for many months waiting to take a nice edible jacuzzi.

Comment

• new2smoking
                new2smoking commented
                Editing a comment
                Like this use for the vacuum bagging: Costco prime strip, aged 34 days in Umai Dry bag, trimmed, cut and frozen yesterday. (photos on page 2 of this thread)
                Last edited by new2smoking; July 16th, 2019, 06:16 PM.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2020

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Save $100 by booking before November 28th,Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis2020)
            See more
            See less

About this website. AmazingRibs.com is all about the science of barbecue, grilling, and outdoor cooking, with great BBQ recipes, tips on technique, and unbiased equipment reviews. Learn how to set up your grills and smokers properly, the thermodynamics of what happens when heat hits meat, as well as hundreds of excellent tested recipes including all the classics: Baby back ribs, spareribs, pulled pork, beef brisket, burgers, chicken, smoked turkey, lamb, steaks, barbecue sauces, spice rubs, and side dishes, with the world's best buying guide to barbecue smokers, grills, accessories, and thermometers, edited by Meathead.

This site is brought to you by readers like you who support us with their membership in our Pitmaster Club. Click here to learn more about benefits to membership.

Advertising on this site. AmazingRibs.com is by far the most popular barbecue website in the world and one of the 50 most popular food websites in the US according to comScore, Quantcast, Compete, and Alexa. Visitors and pageviews increase rapidly every year. Click here for analytics and advertising info.

© Copyright 2005 to 2019 by AmazingRibs.com. All text, recipes, photos, and computer code are owned by AmazingRibs.com and protected by US copyright law unless otherwise noted. It is a US Federal crime to publish or distribute anything on this website without permission. But we're easy! We usually grant permission and don't charge a fee. To get permission, just click here. And you don't need permission to link to us.

Our Privacy Promise, Terms of Service, Code of Ethics. AmazingRibs.com promises to never sell or distribute any info about you individually without your express permission, and we promise not to, ahem, pepper you with email or make you eat spam. We are GDPR (the General Data Protection Regulations as passed by the European Union). GDPR requires that we be willing to delete any info we have about an EU resident if you request it. We go a step further. We extend this right to anyone, EU resident or not. For more about our privacy promise, code of ethics, terms of service, and how we operate to insure you unbiased info, click here.

Working...
            X