Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should your first Sous Vide cook be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should your first Sous Vide cook be?

I recently ordered a Joule and am anxiously waiting for it to come in....I mean checking the tracking every few hours anxious even though I know it will probably be a week or more. So in the meantime I've been looking over recipes and dreaming about what I should try first. I bought it largely dreaming of steaks, but the ideas of the SVQ and some big meats like brisket or pork has me dreaming. Any suggestions on what to start with? Now excuse me while I go check the tracking again.

If you ask me, my favorite thing to cook QVQ is pastrami, hands down. After that I like to QVQ chuck roasts, either all the way to pulled or medium rare, excellent both ways.

Any by the way, we push for QVQ over SVQ here. The pre-smoking of large pieces of meat is a must. Steaks and other quick cooks then SVQ.

So to answer your question directly, I'd just do some steaks. You'll love 'em and you get your feet "wet" without a lot of effort !!! Good luck !!

Comment

Steaks are easy, wonderful And what I SV most. But I did skinless, boneless chicken breast for my first SV because it was delivered during the week and it’s what I had available to cook that night it came. And it changed the way I cook chicken breast now! I still grill chicken breast occasionally, but it’s amazing how good it can be with the SV and then either given a very quick pan sear or grill sear, and I mean very quick or you lose what you just worked for.

Enjoy the Joule!

Comment

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        I would also say try boneless skinless chicken breast. I wasn't a breast man until I had them SV. With them, you'll get a good idea of the magic of it.

Turkey breast too - I did the SV then a quick sear in some CI. It was excellent. And short ribs QVQ'd are another treat.

Comment

1. Don't go overboard until you get the hang of it.
        2. Get an appropriate container to use as the water bath. I use the 12 quart Cambro food storage container for large pieces of meat. A 8 qt. stock pot works for many things like peaches and asparagus.
        3. Consider a vacuum sealer. Things that you SV can be fully cooked and stored in a vacuum bag for a while before finishing.
        4. Go to Serious Eats and read, read, read.

I bought my immersion circulator almost 4 years ago and it has become indispensable for some things. Veggies don't get the press that steaks do but they really shine with SV.

Best of luck.

Comment

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes. Veggies. Especially carrots!

• FrostyBrew
          FrostyBrew commented
          Editing a comment
          Asparagus, too. You'll never go back. Prep 'em the Joule way and enjoy.

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Did some asparagus, bet we have had

My favorite SV meal, and the first thing I did, was lamb racks. Comes out the perfect temp everytime and the sear goes just the right depth.

Comment

I vote pork chop at 135 degrees b/c it will be the best pork chop you ever had.

Comment

Chicken breast or Pork chops are game changers.

Comment

My firsts were chicken breasts and steaks. For both, on my first attempt, the result were a "meh". I expected great things and was unimpressed. Since though, to be fair, I've improved and can do steaks better w/ SV. I really have zero desire to try a brisket or a chuck. Better smoked all da way IMO.

Comment

I would recommend a tuff meat like a pork steak. SV it for 24 hours at 160 and then fast sear it. It will be the most tender pork steak you've ever eaten and will spoil you for life. 😁

Comment

Definitely a steak is a good first cook. If you like salmon, Sv is great too. Both are hard to mess up so they are good first choices. Get the Joule app while you’re waiting and look at the basic steak and salmon programs.

Comment

And to really immerse yourself, QVQ short ribs!

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                      ComfortablyNumb commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have never tried immersing myself. Wondering if I can hold my breath that long, provided I can find a large enough tub.... ;-)

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
                    My firsts were chicken breasts and steaks. For both, on my first attempt, the result were a "meh". I expected great things and was unimpressed. Since though, to be fair, I've improved and can do steaks better w/ SV. I really have zero desire to try a brisket or a chuck. Better smoked all da way IMO.
                    Huskee I gave up doing chicken breast in the SV. Tender, but never juicy. Any tips? Everything else I do in it works out great.

Comment

I mostly use SV to cook boneless chicken breasts for lunch meat. It’s relatively cheap, and if it doesn’t come out great you can mix it with pasta or put it on pizza. I sous vide at 153 for 2 hours, then smoke on the grill for 15 minutes at 300-350. I dry brine about an hour before SV, then put on some Penzeys chicken and fish jerk seasoning just before SV (yes, the meat really does pick up the flavor). Good luck with whatever you try.

Comment

I love sous vide tri tips. They’re so thick that it’s hard to get them cooked perfectly medium rare all the way through any other way. I sear them over the SnS with a handful of wood chips and serve with a board sauce. 😋

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here