Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XL Sous Vide Bags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XL Sous Vide Bags?

Does anyone have a recommendation for brisket-sized XL sous vide bags? Reusable would be a great option. There seems to be some out there, but I'd rather have some input from my fellow Pit-Peeps. Thanks.

I usually separate the point from the flat and use 1 or 2-gallon bags when I sous vide.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I can squeeze a packer into 11" Foodsaver bags, but it's messy and inconvenient. This could certainly be an option.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I prefer to use Ziplocks to vac seal bags. CaptainMike

I normally use an 11" roll and cut whatever length I need. It's doable but can be a tight fit. Not reusable though.

Comment

Foodsaver.com offers a 15" x20' roll in a 2 pack for under $40. As far as reusable, I don't see why you couldn't cut them long and just cut off the first seal to make a 2nd and so on. That's what I do for refrigerator storage of that particular package. The thought of properly washing them between cooks would turn me off for actually reusing them.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        I only have an 11" sealer. Unless you have a cool hack on how to seal those 15 inchers with the 11?

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Same thing you do with an 12" Umai bag. You fold one corner at the top and seal it leaving about 11" open. Then fold over the tab and seal the 11" opening right through the tab. Hard to describe, but it does work pretty well.

Foodsaver’s wider bags will work. I like to double bag when it’s a larger cut of beef or pork. I’ve had some bag failures, or rather vacuum failures with my foodsaver, eventually letting water in and damaging the sous vide item.
      The easiest way to procure the wider bags is online, or at a hunting-sport outlet. In FL, I find these larger bags at my local bass pro shop. Not sure what stores are available near you, but for sure, there must be some hunting and outdoor goods purveyors that you can go get these larger than standard size bags.
      Hope this helps.
      Ricardo
      PS: Double bag works best for me, not saying it’s a requirement, but the type of foodsaver unit I have, which came from Costco, is prome to occasional failure, particularly with larger items and those with higher moisture content when sealing the bags.

Comment

Here's a trick that might work. Put the bag in diagonally and seal one corner, then the other. At that point if you measured right, you should have <= 11" unsealed. Put the bag in straight and seal the rest of it.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          My pleasure, CaptainMike . Got that from the Uumi bag site. It works.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I just suggested the same thing above, it's the Umai dry age bag trick !!!

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Indeed it is, Troutman ! You know what they say, "living vicariously is fun and cheap"! I always try to learn from others' experiences instead of being a drudge and doing it all on my own. Life is too short.

As Sly sang "Different strokes for different folks"! It's all good.

Foodsaver does have Large Pleated Bags. They work with 11" Machines but with my experience you need to cut them extra long to get them to seal well.

Comment

As Skip mentioned you can use a gussetted or pleated bags. Here’s some.

These 11" x 50' gusseted expandable vacuum seal rolls are great for vacuum sealing large and over-sized items. We recommend a double seal.  Gusseted bags: EXPANDABLE - This bag accommodates items up to 14" wide or 11" wide X 4.5" deep, but uses a standard vacuum sealer VALUE - The 50' roll offers substantial savings over other 16' rolls, cut whatever length you need SAFE - BPA Free, Safe to use in the microwave, Wash in the dishwasher CONVENIENT - Transport casseroles or main dishes right in their pans with these XL gusseted bags STOPS WASTE - Eliminate freezer burn and dehydration with FoodVacBags Lock in flavor, texture, aroma, nutrition &amp; freshness for any type of food, meat, produce, herbs Keep food fresh 5x to 10x longer - Locks out moisture and air and reduces freezer burn plus odor proof. Versatile and compatible with most tabletop/clamp vacuum sealers. Reusable, just trim &amp; re-seal! Stock up and save with our cases of vacuum seal rolls.   

Ive never used them. I have a 15” wide vacuum sealer that I use.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            That's a great idea. Unfortunately they are currently sold out. Thanks for the link and I'll check in periodically.

In his post from 9/21, First time sous vide quing, @Robvjr mentioned "I have some big kitchen 5-8 gallon containers (perk of working in food and bev for as long as I have) and used a 3 gallon zip lock bag" in a post about sous vide cooking a bone in cowboy ribeye.

I’ve long used my sous vide for steaks and chops but always finished by searing stove top. Tried it out using SnS to finish my tomahawk and got fantastic results

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here