Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sketchy Vacuum Bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sketchy Vacuum Bags

I am planning on sous-v-queuing a brisket tonight and the brisket I have is a full packer and it just didn’t fit in the bags I normally use. In a pinch I ordered these bags on Amazon. I’m a little sketched out upon opening the box and I’m a little nervous to eat from these bags. Thoughts?

The eBay page for the same product says this but gives no further detail:
    "All our bags are FDA Approved and manufactured from Certified BPA Free food safe materials."

I don't really know, but they okay to me.

Comment

The product details on the amazon page say they can be used for sous-vide. I would think you’re alright.

Comment

And in the product details on the Amazon page it says "All our bags are FDA Approved and manufactured from Certified BPA Free food safe materials."

Should be OK with that 4mil thickness and a good seal. I use Food Saver Heavy Duty Gamesaver bags (also 4 mils thick) for sous vide at higher temps.

Since you got the "sketchy" bags for their size, I'm guessing that the size of the 2 gallon Ziploc bag was still too small?

Kathryn

Comment

If a two gallon zip lock is too small, I have these rolls of gussetted foodsaver bags. They will open a lot wider and can be made to any length.

Comment

This thread is somewhat timely, as I am about out of 11" Foodsavr rolls, and all they seem to offer at Sam's and Costco is that pack that has both 11" and 8" rolls in it. Looking on Amazon, they sell a lot of 11" options that give you a lot more feet on a roll than the 16' you get from Foodsavr. Anyone try any of these 'off brand' bags with their Foodsavr vacuum sealer? Is it worth the savings? I can get 2 50' rolls for less than Foodsavr chargers for 2 16' rolls, and thickness seems the same (4 mil on the clear side, 10 mil on the texture side).

Comment

• adamjs83
              adamjs83 commented
              Editing a comment
              I am on my 3rd or 4th box of these Sous Vide Supreme rolls which I use with my Food Saver vacuum. I have only ever had one leak and that was with a big bone in rib roast and the one time I didn't double seal.

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Sous Vide Supreme brand is from the Doctors Eades and their kids. My first SV was from them (they actually got me into SV. Decidedly the opposite of sketchy folks, imho.

• adamjs83
              adamjs83 commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed on them being the opposite of sketchy, hence why I use them.

I decided to return the bags and I’m only going to go with brand name. With all the stories about toxic products out of China I don’t really want to play games with something leaching into my family’s food over a long cook. There is no way to verify claims by Random Seller on Amazon so I think it’s better to stick with reputable or trusted brands.
            Last edited by adamjs83; July 30, 2018, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds like a judicious move, adamjs83 . If you feel uncomfortable, then you'll never feel good about using those bags. Peace of mind is worth the inconvenience of returning the bags, I'm guessing.

Kathryn

• adamjs83
              adamjs83 commented
              Editing a comment
              Totally. And the inconvenience factor of returning to Amazon is close to 0. Process return, tape it up and leave out front.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here