Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for suggestions on SV circulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for suggestions on SV circulator

I'm looking @ grabbing an Anova BT or WiFi model or this Monoprice. Besides Joule are there any other out there I should look into? Are these worth the extra cost? Monoprice has one without bluetooth or WiFi. Do I really need BT or WiFi on an SV circulator? I can get it for 15 to 20 % off as well. Is the Anova worth double the price of the Monoprice?

I own two Anovas and have had zero problems with them. You can get them on Amazon for like $98, which makes it the best value out there. The Joule is another quality circulator but it's twice as much and there's no way to control it except through your BT or Wifi connection. I'm not familiar with the model you reference, I'd steer clear, looks like a cheap knockoff of the Anova.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm with the Troutman on this one. The Anovas are great value. I have an old Polyscience because that was what was available back then. Have never missed remote control, and prefer manual to be honest.

• Baltassar
      Baltassar commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a Joule, but I find the WiFi connection unreliable. I would get an Anova if I were buying now.

You'll probably find your answer(s) here: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-sous-vide-gear/

FWIW, I have been using an Anova BT/WiFi circulator for a couple of years with zero problems and zero complaints. I do not use the BT function at all because, if I'm close enough for a successful BT connection, then I'm close enough to walk over and check the circulator manually. WiFi is handy once in a while ... mostly when I'm downstairs and am feeling too lazy to walk upstairs to the kitchen. The WiFi Anova has the advantage of being slightly more powerful than the BT-only version (900W vs 800W).

The Joule is supposed to be excellent, too but I personally want to be able to manually control the device without having to rely on WiFi and a smart phone app.
    Last edited by MBMorgan; June 13, 2018, 09:47 AM.

Comment

• OSB
      OSB commented
      Editing a comment
      MBMorgan Exactly what I was looking for.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks MB I appreciate that link.

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's why i bought the Anova Wifi. I wanted the 900 watts of power. Mine has been very reliable.

Love my Joule, especially the fact that it is so compact. It's like half the size of the Annova. Easier to store and more important it doesn't take up too much space when in the pot, which allows the use of a smaller pot.

Comment

I like my Anova.

Comment

I am a fan of the Joule and own that as well as the old school Polyscience and even a third brand which is probably out of business. Regardless of what you pick, the Joule app is pretty solid for some quick recipes and references.

Comment

I have a cheapo. I have had zero issues with the one I have. It's "Chefsmate" or something like that. But for the price of the ANOVA these days I would stick with the ANOVA it's only a few dollars more. Mine is manual control as well and 900 or 1000 W. Even though I have had zero issues I would stick with the ANOVA. Mine feels like it's cheaply built and I treated very gingerly.

at work we have about 10 joules as well as some other larger more expensive container models. The Joule functions fabulously with the Wi-Fi connection. The Jules are used by various cooks for a short individual items pertaining to that line station. The large ones I use for more professional style long sous vide.

Comment

I enjoy the Anova. I like having info and adjustments on the unit itself, not necessitating an app. Anova's app is pretty useful though, and handy. Mine is bluetooth only, and has plenty of range in my house. They have a WiFi one as well if you need longer range and need the app/smartphone access. The app appears to have recipes, time-until-done estimations, shows your current temp and allows adjustments from your phone, etc. I start with hot tap water and it's maybe 5-10 minutes until it's at 131 or whatever I'm aiming for, and this is the 800W version. I'm no expert, especially with other SV devices, but in my opinion it doesn't lack anything, it's silent, quick, feels sturdy and well-built, and does its job.

Comment

• DJ DeSpain
              DJ DeSpain commented
              Editing a comment
              The app does have great recipes, especially those from Kenji Lopez-Alt.

I have the Anova best dang soft boilers egg maker ever worth the cost right there make them 18 at a time

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup! That's how I make eggs Benedict for 150. Cracking them all is a pain but it beats the old way of doing it.

I have the Anova with Wifi, and its nice being able to monitor it when out of Bluetooth range. I've never had any issues with it, and have done as many as a dozen steaks or a 5 pound hung of meat (bacon wrapped pork loin) with it. Everything came out great so far.

Comment

I have both the Anova and the Joule and when I cook something SV the Joule is the one I go with. It heats up a lot faster.

Comment

I have an Anova, a Joule, and a Sansaire (recently retired, not even sure if they make it anymore).

I love the Anova and the Joule about equally. A few pros and cons of each:

ANOVA:
                --pro: you can control via Bluetooth, WiFi or directly on the wand. This is important to me as sometimes the wireless connections get a little clunky at least in my house!
                --con: it's a bigger form factor. Not huge by any stretch but ~50% wider diameter than the Joule

JOULE:
                --pro: without a doubt, it's incredibly small size is a pro.
                --con: between it's wifi and Bluetooth connections, I can always get connected. But, sometimes there is some futzing with it to get the connection. I would say that one out of every 10 times I use it, there is a little bit of a delay while the connection with the wand and my phone gets re-established. 9 out of 10 times it works perfectly though

Both are equally as reliable at dialing in a temperature. And, if memory serves, there within $10-$15 of each other. Though, keep your eyes peeled for 24 hour sales on Chefsteps.com (for Joule). And it seems like the Anova can almost always be found on sale. I think the Amazon Treasure Truck had the wifi model on sale a few weeks ago for $79

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great comparison!

I recently got the Anova BT. Did my 2nd cook last night. Cajun Shrimp the 1st was a Pork Chop. Small sample, but very happy. Easy setup, easy maintenance it seems to be very accurate. I got off Amazon for $103. The next day it was $102. Just checked again same $102. This is through Amazon fulfillment and Prime.

Comment

I got my Nomiku back when they were crowd funding but, only started to use it recently. I have been SVing steaks, chops, corned beef and more. Looking forward to a SV smoked brisket. Results are always great. Up and until recently, I would do a quick defrost of meat by filling up my sink with warm water. Now I put them in a pot (much smaller the the sink!) and turn on the SV and much quicker. Works great. Their WIFI also works great.

Comment

I have the Anova BT - I was a kickstarter backer. I personally don't see the need for Wifi, or really BT. I never check the temperature. The only thing I ever really check is if I have any water loss (doing a 29 hour chuck roast right now) during long cooks. Other than that, it holds temp so well - I don't know that I ever check the set temp, or even set a run time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here