Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some SV Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some SV Advice

I've been wanting to do a beef chuck roast in the SV Tub for a long time so this morning at 7:30 in went a frozen 2.43# chuck roast-salted at 135 degrees. My intention was let it go 48 hours take it out and sear before pulling or slicing. Today I found out I need to give someone a ride to a Medical Appointment that morning. I think I should be home in the early afternoon and will just let it go the extra 5-6 hours. I'm thinking all that will happen is "possibly" a little more tender outcome at the end??? I've never SV'd anything this long before. Any thoughts.

I think you'll be fine with that plan. If it turns out "mushy" you'll have learned, but I don't really expect it will. 135 is pretty forgiving.

Comment

I think it's a matter of percentages. If you were planning on a 5 hour sv and went ten - that's a 100% increase in time. But going 6 hours over on a 48 hr sv is only 12.5%. I guess that's a long winded way of saying I think you should be OK.

Comment

Anything with that much connective tissue and at that low a temp has a long doneness window. I do many tough cuts for 48-72 hours. Just have to watch it when searing because it can literally fall apart at the seams.

Comment

What he 👆Said. If it's too soft you can Sear in CI, if it's too mushy and cheese, roll it and fry it. Or taquitos.some smoke on that would be nice though. Some kind of rub or bark too.

Comment

The Chuckie will be fine.

Comment

I suspect you will not notice a difference with the extra 5 hours.. 6? Now that may be a deal breaker. 😎

Comment

Thanks for the advice. It's my first chuckie and first long SV cook so I was a little unsure. I will try to post results.

Comment

I've done em to 72. You'll be fine.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here