Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Lost Username or Password | Pitmaster Club Information, | Join 30 Days Free | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

Sous vide fail: advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcostlow
    Former Member
    • Jul 2016
    • San Antonio TX

Sous vide fail: advice please

I had a moment of weakness and picked up a joule. I was captivated by the apple braised pork shank recipe and bought some large food grade marinating bags from amazon so I could cook up a big dinner for the family.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J29FPVO/?tag=amazi0a8-20

Turns out that there seems to have been a reverse osmosis thing going on and the liquid in my cooking bag doubled in the 24 hour cook. So, no sauce, meat was actually tender but not a lot of flavor.

I know I could probably double or triple bag to reduce the amount of liquid seeping in the future but I am curious what everyone else is using to cook with. I am dying to try the rib end chuck roast but am cautious at this point.

Is there a bagging solution for large portions that works better?
  • Steve Vojtek
    Charter Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Melbourne Australia
    • 6 & 2 burner gas BBQ's
      Diy electric smoker
      A-maze-n-tube 12 inch
      Gas powered pizza oven
      GMG Davy Crockett with Wifi
      Rosle 24 inch charcoal kettle
      Slow'nSear - my favourite
      2 x Thermapens
      2 x wireless thermometers
      3 x wired thermometers
      Favourite drink:
      Scotch whiskey various brands
      American Honey WT
      And beer ....
      And at work just plain old chilled water....

Did you reduce the glaze till it was really thick before SV? It is quite normal for meat to release some juices during a SV cook and the Chefsteps recipe also recommends (after SV) to strain and simmer the glaze until it has turned into thick sticky sauce.

Comment

• Northside Brian
      Club Member
      • Aug 2016
      • Fort Worth TX

vacuum sealing works best for guaranteeing no liquid gets into or out of the bag. If you are using zipper bags, try keeping the sealed edge above the water line if you can.

Comment

• cookingmadly
        Club Member
        • Mar 2017
        • Los Osos, CA
        • Memphis Grills Pro
          Karubecue
          Alfa Forno 4 Pizza Oven
          ... and some cheapo gasser that can't even put grill marks on a hot dog.

Since you're cooking at higher temperatures, you either need to use dedicated vacuum seal bags or ziplock freezer bags. Many bags, such as ziplock storage, are not adequate for high temp/long cooks sous vide.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Banned Former Member
          • Jul 2014

A good vacuum sealer is part of the necessary buy in for SV cooking. You can play with learning the idea with zip-lock bags but... you're going to have some leakage now and then. There's no leakage with a vacuum sealed bag.

Comment

• bep35
            Founding Member
            • Jul 2014
            • Pierre,SD
            • 1987 Weber Kettle (Still going!)
              2004 Cookshack Smokette (The original!)
              2012 Weber Genesis (Wonderful for steaks and chops!)
              2014 Pit Barrel Cooker (Lovin it!)
              Thermoworks Thermapen
              Thermoworks Mini Handheld Thermocouple & Meat Needle Probe
              Various other wireless remote thermometers

Beer...Bud Light (Timeless)

I don't know if this would work for large portions but it is cheaper than a vacuum sealer.Click image for larger version

Name:	Anova.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	310410

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              you ain't getting a pork shank in that.
          • EdF
            EdF
            Club Member
            • Jul 2016
            • Atlantic Highlands, NJ
            • Uuni Pro (new kid in town)
              Karubeque C-60
              Large BGE since 2002 + plate setter + pizza stone + upper grid + stainless paella pan for drippings (the best!)
              TEC Cherokee FR since 2014 (portable infrared grill - does a mighty sear)
              Polyscience Sous Vide Pro since 2012 (wasn't much else available in those days)
              Thermapen
              Thermapen Air
              ThermaQ (or its predecessor)
              Thermoworks Hi temp IR
              BBQ Dragon & Chimney of Insanity
              Various other stuff

If you're serious about sous vide, just get a decent sealer. It'll save you trouble. In case you think you might want to dry age some beef, check the models they list here: https://www.drybagsteak.com/vacuum-sealer-support.php

Comment

• Corvus
              Club Member
              • Nov 2015
              • NW Missouri and NW Washington
              • Do not eat the meat raw or boiled in water, but roast it over a fire. Exo 12:9

2- WSM, 18" Weber kettle, 22" Weber Performer, SNS, LBGE, Weber Genesis II, KettlePizza, Joule, red ChefAlarm, red ThermaPen, blue ThermaPen, Smoke and............ an even longer wish list.

I found that in a pinch, oven bags (like you'd bake a turkey in) worked okay on a 28 hour roast. I doubled them up for extra measure, but I think one would've been fine. All of my other cooks have been 4 - 12 hours and zip-locks held up well. I have a vac sealer and sealer bags, but I have not used them for SV, maybe wondering if the seals will hold up in hot water.

Comment

• tbob4
                Charter Member
                • Nov 2014
                • Chico, CA
                • BBQ's
                  Vision Grill

Beer

Wood
                  Cherry
                  Peach
                  Apple

You have hit upon a very good question and one that I have wrestled with since I got the SV. Others have reported similar results here. I love my SV machine and have used it for a bunch of different cooks. However, I have found that the flavors I normally get from rubs/marinades are diluted greatly in the process. I have even done the scrambled egg thing SV style. I added onions, jalapeños and cheese in the same portions that I would to a normal scramble. Normally, the eggs come out with a bite from the jalapeños and a sweetness from the red onions. SV'd the flavors washed away until I doubled the portions of peppers and onion. With steaks, texturally, I have found that things out of SV come out beautifully uniform but there is a loss or "wash-out" of rub flavors. I often times wonder if there should be a recipe section for BBQ that takes this phenomenon into consideration. I vacuum seal everything prior to cooking SV.

Comment

• Breadhead
                  Banned Former Member
                  • Jul 2014

tbob4 ...

My SV'ed steaks don't get any Rub on them at all. I salt them for dry brining and then vacuum seal them in a bag overnight. The next day I put them in the bath tub for 4 to 8 hours and then I remove them from the bags, blot them dry and coat them with beef love. I sear them to get the crust I like and then hit them with some fresh ground pepper. No Rub on steaks.😬

Comment

• Skip
                    Founding Member
                    • Jul 2014
                    • Blue Earth, Minnesota
                    • MAK Pellet Grill, Large BGE, Weber Kettle with SnS, Weber Gasser, Pit Barrel Cooker, Cast Iron Pans & Griddle, Grill Grates, Mostly Thermoworks Thermometers

I have had good luck with Tri Tip SV style. Also tried bacon SV overnight which was very good after a light sear. The scrambled eggs with peppers and onions I did only once but they were ok. Probably need a little more practice on the eggs. HOWEVER last week I did some boneless pork chops cut 1.5" thick. They were terribly dry, just the opposite of what I thought I'd end up with. Anyone have a good idea for boneless pork chops?

Comment

• Mikey C
                      Mikey C commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What time and temp did you do the chops at?
                  • Potkettleblack
                    Club Member
                    • Jun 2016
                    • Beautiful Downtown Berwyn
                    • Grill: Grilla Original / Weber Genesis EP-330 / OK Joe Bronco Drum
                      Thermometers: Thermapen / iGrill 2 / Fireboard
                      For Smoke: Chunks / Pellet Tube / Mo Pouch
                      Sous Vide: Joule / Nomiku WiFi (RIP Nomiku)
                      Disqus: Le Chef - (something something something) - it changes

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...y-and-sourcing

"At temperatures above around 158 °F / 70 °C, the seams of ziplock-style bags can fail, exposing your food to the water in the bath."

The bag you used is not designed for high temp. They say it will hold boiling water, but I suspect that is a short term thing, for the assembly of brine, rather than a prolonged soak in fairly hot bath water. Yeah, you need something with a better seam and a better plastic for long and hot. 158* is about the peak of what you can use a freezer ziplock for.

I would recommend something like this:
                    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...mazingribs--20
                    A sealer is pretty useful, though you can use these bags for some applications "sans-vide"... Vegetables are good sans-vide, as they can give up some gas that makes vac bags float. 24 hour pork shanks... not so much.

On the pork chops... time and temp? I prefer 135 for just long enough to cook it. Others like it whiter and dryer. 140 is what they like.

Comment

• Atalanta
                      Club Member
                      • Jul 2016
                      • Barnsley's Ford
                      • Grills: 22" Weber (wood handles) (another Weber on the way), Lodge Sportsman "hibachi"
                        Smoker: None yet, part of why I joined
                        Thermometer: 10+ yr old Taylor digital thermometer with remote
                        Sous Vide: Anovo Imersion Circulator (1st gen)
                        Coffee Roaster: Hot Top Coffee Roaster
                        Adult Beverages: Fighting Cock Bourbon, Leinny Shandy, Troegs Mad Elf

Yes, be careful of the bags you use. I made the mistake of re-using a bag for corn on the cob and it broke. Ewww. Learned NEVER re-use a ziplock bag and ONLY use freezer bags.

Comment

• CandySueQ
                        KCBS President, and Moderator
                        • Jul 2014
                        • Pellet Fired Jambo, T1000 Woodmaster, FEC100, MAK 2 star, Yoder 640, Backwoods Pellet Chef, 14" & 22" WSM, 22" Weber Kettle, Stoven, Hot Box Grill, Hasty Bake Portable

I use freezer bags and clothespin the seal part at the top of the pot. Never had a leak in Food Saver vacuum bags.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                          Founding Member
                          • Jul 2014
                          • My toys:
                            Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center (WSCGC) aka Mr. Fancypants
                            Pit Barrel Cooker (which rocks)
                            Weber Summit S650 Gas Grill
                            Weber Kettle Premium 22"
                            Weber Jumbo Joe Premium 22" (a weird little 22" kettle mutant on 22"-long legs) (donated to local battered women's shelter.)
                            Camp Chef Somerset IV 4-burner outdoor gas range

Adrenaline BBQ Company's SnS, DnG and Large Charcoal Basket for WSCGC
                            Adrenaline BBQ Company's Elevated SS Rack for WSCGC
                            Adrenaline BBQ Company's SS Rack for DnG
                            Grill Grate for SnS
                            Grill Grates: five 17.375 sections (retired to storage)
                            Grill Grates: six 19.25 panels for exact fit for Summit S650 gasser
                            2 Grill Grate Griddles
                            Steelmade Griddle for Summit gas grill

Fireboard Extreme BBQ Thermometer Package
                            Fireboard control unit in addition to that in the Extreme BBQ Package
                            Additional Fireboard probes: Competition Probes 1" (3) and 4" (1), 3 additional Ambient Probes. 1 additional Food Probe
                            2 Fireboard Driver Cables
                            Pit Viper Fan (to pair with Fireboard Fan Driver Cable)
                            Pit Viper Fan new design (to pair with Fireboard Fan Driver Cable)
                            Thermoworks Thermapen MK5 (pink)
                            Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 (pink too)
                            Thermoworks Temp Test 2 Smart Thermometer
                            Thermoworks Extra Big and Loud Timer
                            Thermoworks Timestick Trio
                            Maverick ET 73 a little workhorse with limited range
                            Maverick ET 733
                            Maverick (Ivation) ET 732

Grill Pinz
                            Vortex (two of them)

Two Joule Sous Vide devices
                            VacMaster Pro 350 Vacuum Sealer
                            Instant Pot 6 Quart Electric Pressure Cooker
                            Instant Pot 10 Quart Electric Pressure Cooker
                            Charcoal Companion TurboQue
                            A-Maze-N tube 12 inch tube smoker accessory for use with pellets

BBQ Dragon and Dragon Chimney

Shun Classic 8" Chef's Knife
                            Shun Classic 6" Chef's Knife
                            Shun Classic Gokujo Boning and Fillet Knife
                            Shun Classic 3 1/2 inch Paring Knife

I use ZipLocks for anything below 140°F or so. (I know, 158°F is supposed to be Ziploc's limit, but I'm extra cautious). After that, it's Food Saver Game Saver Heavy Duty all the way.

Kathryn

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                            Potkettleblack commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I have found that my ziplock 2 gallon bags inspire more confidence than the 1 gallon freezer bags, so I'm good with them up to about 150 or so. Having eaten some things that had leaky bags, I'm not that eager to do so again.

• fzxdoc
                            fzxdoc commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Plus the fact that food products leaking into the water that then is circulated by and through part of the sous vide machine would require some pretty deep cleaning of the sous vide machine, I would guess. It's one thing for the Joule, for example, to unscrew the foot and rinse out the inside after every use but to try to get food particles out of the inside might be more of a challenge. The leaky/broken bag scenario is not one that I want to experience. Sorry to hear you've had to face that, Potkettleblack . Ugh.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
                        Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
                        See more
                        See less
                        Working...
                        X
                        Meat-Up in Memphis

Placeholder

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

Placeholder

The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

Placeholder

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Placeholder

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Placeholder

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

Placeholder

The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Placeholder

We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
                        Stylish and Affordable
                        Gaucho Grill

Placeholder

Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335 
                        A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Placeholder

Weber’s Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

Placeholder

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

Placeholder

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

Placeholder

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

Placeholder

This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

Placeholder

A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Click here to read our complete review

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Placeholder

FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Placeholder

Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Placeholder

Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order