Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Sous Vide machine to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the Anova WiFi model as well and never use the app (i.e., bluetooth or WiFi). I just set it up hit the button and walk away. It's not like an oven or smoker where you have to check doneness every so often. At first I wanted the Wifi because I like gadgets but soon found that the app and the feature of controlling from your phone are really worthless.

You can find the Anova models on sale at times during the year. I believe the Anova bluetooth model has been on sale for as low as $100. That's a tough deal to beat considering you could buy 2 of them for the same price as the Joule. Also, with regard to the Joule app, you can still use it for recipe ideas if you own an Anova, you just can't use it to control the cooker. It's a much better app than the Anova one.

There are several things I don't like about the Anova. Cleaning the outer shell is easy as you can remove it and put in the dishwasher but cleaning the internals is a pain. I use ziplock bags which almost always leak so I have to clean it after most uses. The mounting adapter is annoying. I don't know how to make it better, but I wish it would allow you to attach it to a cooler wall. I've seen cooler mods where people cut a hole in the top and didn't use the adapter at all but I haven't really wanted to dedicate a cooler to sous vide yet.

The only reason I want the Joule is the heater. 800 or 900 w for the Anova vs. 1100 w for the joule is a big deal to me as it's output is either 37.5% or 22% more than the Anova cookers. If you are just going to cook at low temperatures then it's probably not a big deal, but if you want to cook above 165, then the time it takes to heat the water and then keep the water at that temperature becomes more of a product of the insulation in your container. Cooking veggies are typically done at high temps, 185+. I've tried cooking multiple veggies at once in my rubbermaid commercial plastic container and the Anova just couldn't keep up with the water and all of the veggies. I have cooked 2 pork butts in a 50 qt cooler but it took well over an hour to heat all of the water with my Anova and I had to cover the open top with foil and beach towels to keep it insulated (... and prevent evaporative losses).

With all of that being said, most of the time I am just using it to cook boneless skinless chicken breasts for a healthy week night dinner, which IMHO is the best reason to buy a sous vide. Eating juicy, perfectly cooked chicken breasts consistently is worth $100 to $200. Yes it's fun to use it for pork butts and other BBQ meats, but chicken breasts is my #1 reason to buy one. The Anova or Joule will do that just fine.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here