Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Sous Vide machine would you recomend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Sous Vide machine would you recomend

I have been reading about the Sous Vide cooking on this site for a while now and I am thinking about getting into using this cooking technique. Most everyone on here seems to use either the Anova or the Joule so my question is if you were buying a new one which one would you buy and why.

Anova because they are well established. I own one and works flawlessly. Wait for a sale because they go on sale frequently. Just get on their listserve.

Comment

If you own and don't mind a smart phone app, the Joule is the superior tool, being both smaller and more powerful. There is risk and expense in a Joule, so if you don't want to use a smart phone app, or are tentative about SV, I'd get the Anova, while waiting for a $99 sale.

Comment

I have the Anova and would buy it again because it works well and hasn't failed me. If you get the same response with different brands go with the one with the features that you like/want vs price. Clip v magnet, size, depth, WiFi/bluetooth etc. I bought my Anova because of WiFi capability but find I don't use the technology much. I like the side mount and the size, too.

Comment

Thanks guys, I was leaning toward the Anova but I think you just made this easier. I don't want something that I have to use with an app and a smart phone, I just want something that I can plug up to an outlet and use kind of like a toaster I guess you would say.

Comment

• vandy
            vandy commented
            Editing a comment
            Never mind, I figured it out. Thanks for the help though.

• Lowjiber
            Lowjiber commented
            Editing a comment
            I too bought the wi-fi version of the Anova, simply because of the added wattage.

• scottranda
            scottranda commented
            Editing a comment
            I plug mine (Anova) in next to the toaster, set it, and walk away. Very easy.

vandy at https://anovaculinary.com/store/ see the "select connectivity" area to change the model.

Comment

• vandy
            vandy commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks fuzzy, I went back to the website and saw that so I figured it out. DUH! on me huh, lol

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            No problem. I had the exact same issue the first time I went to their website.

I have an Anova and it has been a great little unit. I believe Meathead has used several different ones and prefers the Joule over all the others. If I were to buy another I think I'd be going with a joule. Smaller, easier to store, but more powerful than the Anova.

Comment

I wrote up my opinion in another thread. I have the Anova...

I am ready to "take the plunge" and if it works I will even try some St Louis style ribs as well as steaks/chicken/turkey... Just need to make sure I

Comment

• vandy
              vandy commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks that was a really good comparison of the two. Only thing is now I kind of want the Joule because I may want to cook a pork butt or maybe even a turkey with it sometime.

vandy I don't think you'll go wrong with either one. I bought mine before the Joule came out. You can definitely cook a whole pork butt or turkey with the Anova though. I have cooked one pork butt at 165 in a Rubbermaid commercial container with no problem holding temperature. I couldn't fit 2 pork butts in it so I used the cooler which was big and insulated.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              I use a medium/large lobster pot for most of my SV-ing. Some plastic or foil on top to slow down evaporation. No problem doing 2-3 butts in it. But I have to admit I have a higher-powered SV machine because there weren't many choices around when I got it.

EdF Lobster pot! That's a great idea for big cooks. The only downside is still the insulation. You can buy a nice sized cooler that's insulated and cut a hole in the top for the anova that would prevent it from sliding into the water for less than $20. I would image a heavy gauge lobster pot would cost around $50 or even up to $100.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Don't know offhand. We either inherited ours or got them very long ago.

• W.A.
              W.A. commented
              Editing a comment
              Generally lobster pots are those blue speckley porcelain coated aluminum or steel pots like for canning also. They are usually cheap and probably work great. I bought a large tamale pot which works well too, and I can steam tamales as well!

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Granite Ware. @W.A

Well, I dove in today and went ahead and ordered the Joule. I don't particularly like the fact that the only way to control it is with a phone app but I do like the simplicity and the extra power of it. I have some stainless steel pots that are at least 8 quarts to start out with for cooking steaks or chicken breasts or a chuck roast or something like that. I will start out small before I graduate to cooking a whole turkey or pork butt. Now all I have to do is figure out how to use it when I get it. I am sure if I need help I can turn to this website for it. Thanks again for all the input guys.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Those kind of pots should work just fine. I couldn't find the lobster pot last week and use a stainless saucepan. No issue whatsoever.

I have used the Anova - Wifi, the Joule, and the Nomiku - Wifi. I prefer the Nomiku. The Joule and Nomiku get the water bath up to temp much faster than the Anova, and I like the ability to control the immersion circulator from the device as well as a phone. All three get the job done though.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Nom 1 or Nom WiFi? I thought Nom WiFi was a huge improvement, but had one crap out on me and the replacement has turned off a couple times during long cooks.

Anyone ever cook hamburgers with a sous vide machine? Another questions is what do you set the water temp for when cooking say a pork butt, I would assume that you set it for close to what you would pull it at when cooking it on a grill but not to clear on that. I think Breadhead said he cooks his steaks at 131 then sears them on a grill which makes sense, you would only need a couple minutes per side on a hot grill to get a good crust. I am sure I am going to be asking a lot of questions about this technique until I get up to speed on the different ways to do this.

Comment

• Dr ROK
              Dr ROK commented
              Editing a comment
              chefsteps.com and seriouseats.com are two great sous vide resources. I don't have the joule but I do have chefsteps app for it!!

• Dr ROK
              Dr ROK commented
              Editing a comment
              Besides steak recipes, they also have a recipe for taking a pork butt, cooking it whole, and making steaks out of it. Very tasty! Just do a search on the site.

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              SV & Pork Butts... I cook my butts at 165° for about 24 hours. I cool it down and put it in the fridge. When I want to finish it I put it in my BGE at 225° for about 5 hours. As soon as I get the bark I want I pull it, wrap it, and put it in the Cambro for a couple of hours.

Well, for the pork butt, here are some notes I have:

=== butts
            Smoked 3 hours + 18 hours sous vide at 176F yielded 53%

Pulled pork sous-vide time: 18-24 hours at 176F (Try 36 hours at 155F to see whether it comes out moister).

Smoke for a few hours first, or add smoked bacon to packages (1 piece / pound). Meathead sets finished temp to be 203. Others think that’s too high for SV, and recommend lower/longer. Also note that Elder Ward cooks it in the egg to 200 internal (no SV).

Add BBQ sauce after torching and shredding
            • Ernest on Amazing Ribs did sous-vide 158 for 24 hours, then 4 hours at 160 in the KBQ. (Note the temps, with the KBQ no higher than the sous-vide machine - also note that the KBQ cooks faster than most smokers because it’s convection).
            • mtvector did 165 for 24 hours followed by 3 hours at 275 in BGE and reported good results.

Potkettleblack:

165 x 18-24h for pulled texture. That's what Kenji recommends. Smoke until the stall. Or just 140 IT. It's not getting smokier after 140 IT, and SV is gonna mess with bark, so you're probably gonna want to run it under the broiler or on the grill to rebark.

In traditional BBQ, you are smoking in a hotter medium (the smoker) to get it to the point of collagen breakdown (generally 203). In Sous B Que, you're achieving the collagen breakdown at a lower temp, with greater efficiency of energy transfer (water is more efficient than air), for a longer time. Even if you're just going 18 hours, you're still transferring more energy, more gently, into your pork.

Now, I might suggest that maybe, with sous vide, you don't want to go for pulled. You might want to go for slicing, like a brisket, only from the pork shoulder. For that, I'd suggest 140-145 x 24h. I suspect, if you're willing, you can go looonger than 24 and get something pullable... I think the beauty of SV is being able to get things that you cannot get any other way. I'm pretty sure I did one low and long, like 140x 48, but I cannot find the posts, so I'm not sure it happened. I may have only been thinking about it.

Any rate, I would smoke for maybe 3 hours, to 140 IT, sv at 140-145 or 165 for 18-24, then shock, then sear.

Breadhead:

September 19th, 2016, 01:28 AM
            I've done that cook twice for no other reason than to experiment. I had no guidance, I didn't copy any recipe, I just combined all of my BBQ experience with what little I had learned about Sous Vide cooking to that point, with the help of the Modernists Cuisine cook book on SV cooking.

When planning the cook... My first thought was what do I do about the stall? Will there be a stall? So... I decided I would SV the butt to 180°. Thinking that's generally past the normal stall temperatures.

Then I thought about how long it was going to take in the smoker for me to get the bark texture that I wanted? Knowing I would put it in the smoker at about 38°.

Then i thought about how am I going to get the smoke flavor I'm used too? So i decided an ice bath would be best after taking it out of the bath tub then putting it in the fridge overnight. That would allow me to put a cold clod of meat in the smoker, which smoke will adhere to best.

Then i thought... Do I cook to temperature (203°), probe softness, or do I cook to the look of the bark? Then I put my Thermapen probe into the meat, while cold, just to see where my starting point was. It had a long way to go.

I fired up my large BGE to 240° and put my pork butt on and put in more wood chunks than normal, all in one bunch right over the small fire. Thinking they will burn off in about one hour, not to be replaced with more chunks. I normally smoke at 225° but I thought the hotter temperature would build the bark faster. There was no stall. It did take a while for the meat temperature to increase because the starting point was 38°.

[SV 15 hours @180]
            The end result was I smoked the butt for about 5 hours and got the bark color and texture I wanted and the meat was probe soft at that point and it was 205°. I got plenty of smoke flavor and the meat was moist and tender.

I will repeat that cook when time is an issue, entertaining guests, where I MUST serve it on time. In fact that's the only way I'll do that cook under those circumstances. I like knowing that it's about a 5 hour window so I can accurately plan.👍
            On the other hand... A 14 to 16 hour full packer cook is no problem either.

Difference in food taste, texture, moisture? It's about a push. Most people would never be able to tell the difference.

===

Lots of opinions and approaches. I'd pay attention to potkettleblack and breadhead.

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Elder Ward... I learned a lot about my BGE from his articles. He was a wise Kamado man!

Does anyone monitor the IT of the meat while it is in the SV bath or is it just a timed thing? Or do you just probe it with a Thermapen occasionally to find out when it reaches the IT that you are after?

Comment

• Mikey C
              Mikey C commented
              Editing a comment
              The temperature of the water is the IT of the meat. That's the control and precision of the SV

• vandy
              vandy commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Mikey, I figured that out after the first time I used mine. I am not good at this method of cooking yet but getting better every time I use it.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              For big pieces, that's not strictly true. It takes time too. Thermoworks sells a very thin probe and foam tape to poke it through on the outside of the bag, if you want to track the IT.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here