Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cook report: New Weber 22 Performer and SnS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cook report: New Weber 22 Performer and SnS

We bought the Weber last weekend and I ordered the SnS that day. It arrived mid-week and I was on the job for deciding what to cook, buying the provisions, etc. I decided to do it this way: Test burn early Saturday. Reverse sear steaks and grill corn for dinner Saturday, and smoke ribs for Sunday.

Unfortunately, I bought a sub-standard thermometer on Saturday as I had neglected to procure that important piece via Amazon before the cook day. All they had at Lowe's was a Char-Broil Cold Spot for $27. That's all I had available for instant gratification, so that's what I went with. When I first turned it on and connected the remote with the base, it worked fine. It updated the temperature every few seconds, but there was no way to set an alarm for any temp other than the pre-programmed meat doneness settings. Just having a probe in the dome would display the temp, but the alarm sounded when it hit 135. Then I went to silence the alarm and it stopped updating the temperature, and refused to do so even when I turned off the remote and turned it back on. The instruction "pamphlet" was a waste of paper. So, I chalked it up to a crappy unit. I'll be taking it back this weekend. I've been perusing the reviews here. I'm leaning toward the Fireboard. It's expensive, but I like Wi-Fi over Bluetooth, and I want something I can connect my phone or tablet to.

So, I decided to just eyeball it for temps for the two test cooks. The reverse sear went ok. I think the temps were good for the slow cook, and too low for the sear. That's my mistake as I forgot about having another load of coals ready to top off the SnS for the sear, so as I was able to crank the temps by opening the intake vents, I didn't have fuel close enough to meat. Ultimately, the steak was good, but could have had a better sear. The corn... tasted odd. I don't know if it was because I burned some spots or if the corn itself was off. My wife said her corn was fine. Usually I like the charred bits on roasted corn, but I may have overdone it a bit.
    Verdict: Acceptable, but I learned how to make it better next time. Since this weekend was really an experimental cook, I'm not mad. The steaks were still pretty darn good - as good as you can get from a mid-level steak chain.

Sunday Rib smoke: I woke up later than I wanted to, so I got off to a late(er than ideal) start. I followed the "light a dozen briqs in the SnS then when they're hot, fill the rest of the SnS and add wood chunks to the top... method. Again, I wrestled with the thermometer and eventually gave up. I closed the bottom vents to about 1/3 open, and opened the top vents about to about 3/4 open. I used my science brain and decided that if I could se a very slight boil in the reservoir, then I was somewhere in the ballpark of my ideal temperature range and went with that. The downside was that I had to open the dome occasionally to check the reservoir. This seemed to work out ok. After 5 hours (baby backs, seasoned with Memphis Dust with oregano instead of rosemary. It's my wife's favorite herb) the crack test was successful, then I sauced and cooked for another 20 minutes and they turned out very nice. I had a nice smoke "ring" and good texture on the smaller ribs but the bigger ribs were still good but could have used another 30-40 minutes I think. I think baby backs should be ready to eat in less than 5.5 hours so those two facts lead me to think that I had the temp in the 215-225 range, probably on the lower end of that scale for most of the cook.

Overall, I'm pleased with my Kettle and SnS purchase. I bought some salmon, I thought I'd smoke that after the ribs, but they finished so late, I didn't have time. I'll get to that this weekend.

Cool post! For steak searing I like to get about a half chimney of coals lit when the steak gets to around 80F or so, then dump them and sear when the steak is around 120 or so to hit 135ish final. The exact timing will take a few runs for you to know what works for your preferences.

For future reference, you can still utilize your kettle's lid thermometer. It tends to read about 75 deg high when positioned over the coals in the SnS at a grate temp of 225. So in the absence of a good digital probe at grate-level, try to get your lid thermometer around ~300 for a 225 cook and you should be nicely in the ballpark. Again, this is when the thermometer is over the coals and the vent is over the meat.

Comment

• Buck Flicks
      Buck Flicks commented
      Editing a comment
      That's how I had it positioned, though I didn't even look at the lid therm. I'll remember this for the salmon this weekend.

Great report, Buck Flicks . I hope to get an SnS for my b'day, so your experience is helpful. Thanks. And about your leaning toward buying a Fireboard, buy it! I have one and it has become indispensable to me.

Comment

• Buck Flicks
      Buck Flicks commented
      Editing a comment
      I can't imagine using the Weber without the SnS unless I'm cooking a lot of burgers and dogs for a big party. One of the best things is that it allows me to use the big Weber for smaller cooks (even if not smoking) without burning an excess of fuel. I can tell I'm going to love it.

Thanks Buck for this post, I have learned something from your experience. Thanks to you Huskee, that is some very good info on the thermometer in the dome.

Comment

Great post. Well done for a new unit. I have the fibreboard as well and love it.

Comment

A nice report.

Comment

Improvise, adapt, and overcome. We are always learning! I have the Fireboard and love it!

Comment

I attempted ribs again this weekend. This time I got two nice looking St Louis cut pork slabs from Central Market.

I still haven't gotten my Fireboard yet, so I went into it knowing I'd use the 300 degree dial method to approximate my cook temp.

This time, the light went much better than the first time. I got some of those fire starters that are made from what looks like wood shavings, and one of those did the trick... and didn't leave paper remnants in the bottom of the SnS (which I imagine hampers air flow.) But... I don't think I put enough briqs in the the rest of the SnS as the temp started to lag a bit toward the end of the cook. I added a few more briqs with a couple hours left but I probably should have just jammed as many as I could in at the beginning. I used applewood instead of hickory this time and only 2 chunks instead of 3... and the smoke flavor was definitely not as present. I imagine that has to do with the thicker cut as well as the fewer chunks and milder smoke. With the exception of one time when I closed the intakes too tight to halt the heat acceleration and the fire dropped to reading less than 200, I was able to maintain a steady temp better this time.

I think on my kettle, 300 on the dial is too low. After 6 hours, the meat thermometer was telling me they still weren't even to 180 degrees, and the coals were starting to peter out so I finished them in the oven, and the water never boiled. I like the bang for the buck on St Louis ribs, but I think overall the baby backs turned out better. These 2 slabs took up just about the entire area on the grill that wasn't directly over the coals, and I'm guessing that contributed to all the other reasons that this cook took so long.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here