Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kettle Tweaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kettle Tweaks

I'm already rocking a Slow N' Sear in a 22" Weber with a Thermoworks Smoke. I feel like, in terms of the basics, this covers things.

I'm looking for a few things in terms of tweaks.

A better way to feed my probes into the kettle.

Right now, I'm just pinching them between the lid and the bottom. This is admittedly the not ideal. I'm not opposed to a DIY solution. I'd like a dedicated place to feed the probes.

Additional Racks

Any preferred rib racks? Do they work okay? I'd like to be able to do at least a pair of racks.

Anything else?

Any cheap, minor tweaks that make a major improvement? While I intend to get into the dedicated smoker world at some point and increase my capacity significantly should I get good enough at this to draw some crowds, for now I'd like to simply maximize this particular setup.

I was having the same conundrum as you about the probes but did not want to go drilling holes in my new Weber so I got a lava lock gasket. it works great give a nice feel the lid when putting it on and give some cushion to the probe cable when running them under the lid plus it makes the grill seal better for more control. just make sure you clean the heck out of the rim of the lid before installing the gasket. that and the Slow N Sear griddle is a great addition to the SNS kind of completes the system in the 22 Weber.

Comment

I have no problem drilling holes, however with the size of the Smoke probes I will probably clean up and lay down gasket rather than enlarge what I already have to accommodate them.

Comment

I would look at getting a hinged grate. They are great for adding coals to the SNS during a cook.
        I don't really like rib racks, I have found that turning the ribs into a coil has works very well. I do this on my KJ Jr. You can see the results below. The ribs cooked just fine. I have never done it on a kettle as I just donated it with SNS to a good family friend. (I needed to spread the BBQ love) However, I know quite a few people here use the coil method for the kettle and have had pretty good luck.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Kamado Joe Jr. :Rib Coil:Raw.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	319416Click image for larger version

Name:	Kamado Joe Jr:Rib Coil:Cooked.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	319417Click image for larger version

Name:	Kamado Joe Jr.:Rib Coil:Cooked:uncoiled.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	319418

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I have actually done three racks doing this method. They are packed in tight but its doable. I use wooden skewers so I can break off the ends. I haven't really had an issue with the dome thermo, I use a leave in. thefist

• Michael Brinton
          Michael Brinton commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice! This is the first I'm seeing the rib roll. Sometimes you gotta cram.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Gotta do what you gotta do to get them in there!!! @Micheal Brinton

Definitely rethink running the probe wire under the lid. Bad for the wire and impossible to create a good seal. I drilled a hole just slightly larger in diameter that the temp probe, with good results.

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          I have had zero problems running my probes under the lid. I have yet to replace any Thermoworks probe that I own.

Steve R. Yeah, I knew it was a bad idea at the outset. However, I got my Thermoworks Smoke this week and was super impatient about trying it out.

Spinaker Are you referencing a specific aftermarket grill? The grill that came with the Weber was hinged. (And on my first long cook I set it up perpendicular to the SNS which was, you know, brilliant.)

I might try the coil method this weekend. I'm gonna do my first smoke this weekend.

Jerod Broussard I was looking at the WSM and really liked the grommets they use. Looks like you can get them pretty cheap from eReplacementParts. 1 1/4" hole saw should do the trick. Anyone tried this particular mod?

Amajeff99 mentions a gasket. Although I'm fine (and a little too eager) to drill holes in like... everything, is a gasket worth it for better control?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          I used grommets for a while, but they start popping out after a while. I don't use them anymore. Having a hole just big enough for three probes to fit through works fine without a grommet.

For probes I just did two of these with common fan hanging accessories. There is an extra screw washer on the inside to keep it snug too. One day I'll buy a threaded cap to screw on when not using it, but in the meantime I just stuff foil in there and it works great. Simple, easy, and cheap.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Bruce R
          Bruce R commented
          Editing a comment
          What size hole is that?

• MillerTime
          MillerTime commented
          Editing a comment
          3/8" to get the threaded pipe through. Not sure of the exact dimensions of the inner hole, but it's sufficient for stuffing a couple of probes through easily.

This is what I did to feed probe cables into the Smoky Joe kettle for what its worth.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lid Notch.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	319881

Comment

• Lowjiber
          Lowjiber commented
          Editing a comment
          I use a stainless bolt thru my exhaust vent handle like the one shown above. Mucho niceo.

I drilled the requisite hole in the kettle and installed a silicone grommet to accommodate TW pro-probes. I just stuff a small cone of aluminum foil in to block leakage. Works great.

You would have thought that by now Weber would have integrated a channel to accommodate probes into their kettle design. After all, they do have their own brand of probes that they market.

Much improved cook results could only help their brand, not that they really need the help!

Comment

• j_keegan
          j_keegan commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed!

binarypaladin, Like You and Some of the Other PitMasters I have Considered Over and Over the Best Way to Access the Kettle with the Various Probes❓ The FireBoard has 6 Probes (I reserve one for Ambient Temps), the DigiQ DX-2 Temp Contr has Two, and the Maverick ET-733 Has Two, I Yai, Yai❓ This Problem is to Copreous for My Comprehension! Especially if You Condider all of the Probes Will be Routed Differently for Each Cook! Todate I run the Probes under the Lid, No Problems So Far❓ I do use a Rib Rack for 1-2 Racks cut in Half on the Weber❓ The other day I used 2
        Rib Racks (inverted Weber Roast Racks) to Smoke 6 Racks of St Louis Ribs full cut Side by Side on my OK Joe Highland! 👍👍👍👍👍
        Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	83 Size:	496.1 KB ID:	320267Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	79 Size:	523.9 KB ID:	320272Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	31 Size:	3.64 MB ID:	320268Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	4.09 MB ID:	320271Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	23 Size:	3.43 MB ID:	320270Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	26 Size:	3.16 MB ID:	320269Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	14 Size:	2.39 MB ID:	320273Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	30 Size:	2.59 MB ID:	320274Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	3.86 MB ID:	320275Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	3.75 MB ID:	320276
        Attached Files

Comment

I'm certain that I read somewhere that MH suggested running the probes in through the exhaust vent. I've never seen anyone else suggest this as an option. It would seem that the only time the exhaust vent is fully closed would be at the end of a cook in order to snuff the charcoal.

Pros? Cons?

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            This works well. It is just a pain in the back side when you have to take the lid off. I would drill a small hole in the sidearm put in a high-temp silicone grommet then run the probes through.

• rodkeary
            rodkeary commented
            Editing a comment
            Got it.

Thanks!

I run the probe through the bottom vent, if you use a good drip pan of some sort then it works good, if not you will get your wire a bit greasy, I like some of the other options I see above, especially the bolt in the upper vent, simple and effective thanks johnec00

Comment

Yes, I would think running the wires through the bottom vent is a good option but haven't seen many post that option.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips. I gotta say I really dig the solution from johnec00 some of the probes look like they could use a bigger hold to feed through. That notch really solves things nicely.

How did you actually cut the hole? It looks pretty darn clean. Also, the handle on the exhaust is really nice looking too. I always end up tapping mine with spare wood or something.
              Last edited by binarypaladin; May 20, 2017, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• johnec00
                johnec00 commented
                Editing a comment
                binarypaladin - I just drilled a ¼" hole through the lid just above the lip. Then cut down from the hole to the edge with an abrasive cut-off wheel on a dremel tool. You could make the same cut with a fine toothed hacksaw albeit more laborious.

I have a 22" Weber Performer and routing the probes under the lid creates unacceptable leakage. Routing the leads through the top vents was a royal pain. I decided to drill my base, insert heat resistant grommet with a plug. Now much easier to remove and reinstall lid. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3454.PNG Views:	1 Size:	277.2 KB ID:	328132

Comment

• adamjs83
                adamjs83 commented
                Editing a comment
                Do you have a link for that grommet?

• hoovarmin
                hoovarmin commented
                Editing a comment
                I'd love to see some pics if you can ever get around to it.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here