Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Apologies to the SnS Community

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Apologies to the SnS Community

My apologies to the SnS community, with a caveat . After years of questioning the value of the SnS I finally used the SnS charcoal basket I "received" for Christmas. It wasn’t on anything special, just some chicken thighs and breasts, but after managing with the Weber baskets for as long as I have, I can honestly say the SnS does an excellent job of optimizing fuel and cooking space.

The Weber baskets were always a little odd, but manageable. They worked great if you put one on each side of the kettle, but become impractical when trying to have your fuel on one side. They are a little on the small side, the walls are too short for my liking, but manage to take up too much space when used together. Reducing your available two-zone cooking area.

My caveat? The entry level basket is the perfect balance of price and performance. The deluxe version… 🤔 Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Congratulations on the new addition. Glad to hear you are finding out what we love about it first hand.

Comment

I just bought one for the Akorn over the weekend. Looking forward to using it as well.

I expect this should be an effective approach. 1) For a single zone and searing solution, buy this Weber grate (https://www.amazon.com/Weber-7441-Replacement-Charcoal-Grates/dp/B000WEKNMY)and use this where you'd put the diffuser normally. This will let you create a single sear zone for steaks, but I'd expect it will take a

Comment

• gboss
        gboss commented
        Editing a comment
        Interested to see how that works for you on the Akorn. I have just used some foil wrapped bricks to keep things separated. It worked pretty well, but a basket would be much easier.

To be fair, the Weber baskets can be used to create the same charcoal area as a SnS.

Comment

• Razor
        Razor commented
        Editing a comment
        Now that is cool Attjack!

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack I've looked at those and it might be worth a closer peek. I worry a little about the ash building up too much because it can't drop through very easy?
        I've been using the smaller SnS in my 26 and it's been working great and gives me just a little more room on the food grate.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Dadof3Illinois I'll probably pull the trigger this coming season. I'll do a review after I've used it.

How many wood pellets does it hold? 🙄

Comment

• bardsleyque
        bardsleyque commented
        Editing a comment
        "wood pellet" is that like scat?...

• Razor
        Razor commented
        Editing a comment
        I tried to find out but they kept falling through the grill. 😂

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Razor "I tried to find out but they kept falling through the grill. 😂"
        I know, boy do I know. I tried making smash burgers in my Traeger, but they squished thru the grill and fell in pieces onto the drip tray.

I have an original SnS that I got for my Performer. I moved the Performer to my parents place in Northern Michigan to make room on my patio for an OKJ. I use the SnS designed for the 22 in my 26 and it works beautifully. I see no need for the XL for the 26.

Comment

bardsleyque , "wood pellet", is that like scat”?…….. as he twirls his mustache, heh, heh, heh.

Comment

• smokenoob
          smokenoob commented
          Editing a comment
          technically yes, its Beaver scat

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here