Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Mods for a Weber 22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top Mods for a Weber 22

I've had a virtually stock Weber 22 for over 10 years. Only things I've done to it was installing a new cooking grate and the new ash collector. Thanks to teleworking, I've started to think about possibly adding some accessories/mods. What are some of your top ones?

Well, for openers, maybe get another 22. That way you can cross experiment & build your collection of cookers. I mean, we always need more. 🕶

Comment

• jpietrantone
      jpietrantone commented
      Editing a comment
      FireMan I would love to get a 26 one day. Just can't justify the cost of new and haven't found one used around me. Maybe one day...

For me it’s the SlowNSear insert and the FireBoard 2 with Pit Viper fan to give fabulous temperature control.

Comment

• jpietrantone
      jpietrantone commented
      Editing a comment
      RichardCullip I got a pit viper and DigiQ coming for my 22WSM. I may add the port to the kettle as well just because.

Slow n Sear with Drip n Griddle. I have the stainless DNG pan - I got it before it got as expensive as it is now though. The SNS by itself is good enough though.

https://snsgrills.com/collections/bu...ts/gold-bundle

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      jpietrantone, I haven't used the dng as a griddle; I use it as a drip pan and to redirect air flow through the sns charcoal basket. I like it because the one I have is SS, and cleans up easily, even though I foil it before use. I haven't used a Hunsaker griddle, so I can't speak to it. If the dng was this expensive when I got mine, I may have passed on it.

• jpietrantone
      jpietrantone commented
      Editing a comment
      klflowers oh ok, I understand. Yeah, I will probably pass on it but may opt for the SnS. Thanks for the info!

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed.

Definitely as already said, SnS, DnG and Pit Viper/Fireboard combo. If DnG is outside your budget right now, subscibe to SNS Grills and watch for their periodic sales and factory seconds. I too use the DnG exclusively for a foiled drip fan and airflow control.

Comment

• jpietrantone
      jpietrantone commented
      Editing a comment
      Rod is the Fireboard that much better than the DigiQ? I bought the latter hoping to save a couple bucks since I don't have good wifi where I live.

I find the Vortex a must for Chicken wings and quarters.

Comment

• jpietrantone
      jpietrantone commented
      Editing a comment
      Jfrosty27 I assume that it helps with searing and providing indirect heat?

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      The Vortex will give very high, indirect heat. Allows for crispy but not burnt skin with perfect moist and tender meat. Pretty much fool proof.

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      Yuuup! I use a Vortex on my Summit Charcoal but the results will be the same.
      The Vortex IS a wing cooking machine! And relatively inexpensive as far as add-ons go.
      Last edited by surfdog; July 28, 2020, 11:34 AM. Reason: Added last line.

jpietrantone I'm not familiar with the DigiQ, but I don't think there is cloud storage for it. I love the Fireboard cloud as you can save your cook sessions and add notes and pics. The dots in the first pic represent pics and or notes. If you hover over them with your cursor, the note or pics will be displayed. Or you can scroll down and see the notes and pics as shown below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fb.PNG
Views:	1061
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	887628

Name:	fb1.PNG
Views:	1045
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	887629

Name:	fb2.PNG
Views:	1030
Size:	611.3 KB
ID:	887630

Comment

• Brisket Syndicate
      Brisket Syndicate commented
      Editing a comment
      I have the new UltraQ and it does have cloud storage for recording, and tracking, all of your cooks. It has Bluetooth capabilities as well. BBQ Guru did an awesome job with their latest product. That is a really clean looking tracking chart from your controller. Very nice!

• Alphonse
      Alphonse commented
      Editing a comment
      Rod, yes FireBoard has set the standard that all the competitors are chasing now. They have been quite good for us customers and driven the market place for PID controls for BBQ pits.

In addition to the SnS and whatnot I added a gasket to the lid and drilled a probe port. If the 22 was all I had I'd consider GrillGrates, the rotisserie attachment, the pizza attachment, and definitely the Gabby's Grills Santa Maria attachment. Fortunately, my MCS has made some pretty impressive runs and I have cookers that accommodate all of the above.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      What surfdog said. As well as chicken, burgers, steaks, sausages, you name it. I use my SMG several times a week year round. One of my favorite steak methods is to sous vide a 2" ribeye, give it an ice bath, start a fire in the SMG with red oak, raise the grate so the steaks slowly reheat and pick up some smoke, remove the steaks and lower the grate to get ripping hot (I have a set of GG's) then sear off on the flat side of the GG's. Check out my avatar, that's what I'm doing there.

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, actually I'm smoking a cigar and slurping a martini, but I'm ABOUT to cook those steaks!!

• jpietrantone
      jpietrantone commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike Thanks for the info on the SMG. I may need to get that attachment for my kettle in the future. Or, maybe rig a grate that raises and lowers over a future fire pit.

My most used accessories are my Slow 'N Sear (I have the original, now going for $59), and my full set of Grillgrates from grillgrate.com. The SNS is great for smoking, searing, and such, and the Grillgrates are great for using the full surface of the grill for direct cooks of chicken, burgers, etc, without doing a 2 zone setup and losing half the grate.

I also have the Drip 'N Griddle, and the stainless steal Easy Spin grate, as well as a Party Q for long overnight smokes.

An accessory I want, and may get some day, is a rotisserie.

Comment

For accessories: 1) Vortex (roasting chicken machine) and 2) ATC. The virtualweberbullet is a good site to check out. https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/o...modifications/

Mods: 1) I assume it has a thermometer gauge, if not, I'd add that. 2) A customized wooden handle (wood preference, name, etc.). I assume Marty is still making them https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/r...n-lid-handles/

Comment

Mods or accessories? I'm seeing a lot of accessories recommendations. For my 26" kettle I've drilled and installed a port for a fan and for a probe port.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          Those are my 26 mods as well.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          I also added an extra handle on the 26 on the front of the top lid to make opening and closing the lid easier.

I'm with CaptainMike here, a self-adhesive gasket added to the lid works wonders. I've added it to all my kettles. I get a replacement gasket for BGE or Kamado Joe. I cut them in half lengthwise.

Comment

• Skip
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly what I've done...works great!

I’ve got many accessories: Weber rotisserie, grill baskets, warming rack, pizza stone,sear grate,griddle, sns package, and vortex. I mostly use the sns—-tonite for chicken breasts—-
        and the vortex. There is overlap utility on several—for example the vortex and the rotisserie.
        Guess I’m just a sucker for gadgets.
        Attached Files

Comment

My favorite accessories are, Brisket, Pork Shoulder, Flank steak.... I recommend you put all of these on it. But seriously, my only accessories are covers, and a set of grill baskets. I also have a temp monitoring system, with a billows fan, but, so far, not impressed by fans. I agree, that the foam tape is likely a good idea, I have not done it, but, could see myslef doing it some point. I would also get rubber probe grommets to go through the side of your grill.
          Last edited by Richard Chrz; July 28, 2020, 01:10 PM.

Comment

I went ahead and broke down and got the original SnS. I may add a vortex in the near future as well as a gasket. Thanks for the suggestions!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here